Keurig Dr Pepper to relocate Texas headquarters from Plano to Frisco

Opus

Silver Member
I missed that acquisition. I had no idea that Keurig had bought Dr Pepper last year. Last I knew Keurig was having financial issues because of slumping sales from the whole keurig 2.0 pod issues. Needless to say, my wife keeps them in business.

Rimrock

Double Platinum
Yep. like a said its a good thing but not huge. Wow! Access to a parking garage! 400 new emp over time that may or may not live here. Not really a pom-pom worthy thing. Ha!

orchid

Where does it say there will be 400 new jobs?

Why would anyone move to Frisco when their place of work is only moving a few miles?

Actually huge deal. A Fortune 500 company. Land was owned by the city & used as a parking lot for The Cowboys players during training. ZERO property taxes coming to Frisco to offset us residents’ tax share. Now city gets cash for selling the tract. Plus new building will be taxed at as much as 200M bringing “YUGE” property tax revenue to the City, County & FISD. Yet, no students to teach. (Zero FISD teaching costs for that incremental revenue, since no students.)

Plus City gets free use of the new Keurig/Dr Pepper parking garage for our many Ford Center events (Frisco owns the Ford Center) - basically an empty parking garage for us outside of office hours.

And some existing Keurig/Dr Pepper employees will move to Frisco. And up to 400 new employees! Adding to our tax base - and most will spend shopping & dining dollars here giving the City sales tax revenue.

And just as Keurig/Dr Pepper is another example of companies moving to Frisco as the ripple/derivative effect of The Cowboys relationship acting & building a quality development here (more ROI from the Cowboys deal) - other companies (and particularly suppliers that partner with Keurig/Dr Pepper) will relocate to Frisco as well.
The incremental benefits are minimal since the address change will not drive incremental house sales. In general, the SR121/DNT intersection acts as its own economic unit. a localized relocation does little. While the city will recoup some cash for the land sale, it pales compared to using the idle land for a out of state or other relocation. In essence the city sold (gave away) a very valuable piece of land for minimal benefits.

TDC I don't see it that way. The land was going to be used for something eventually and there are no new Jobs Jobs Jobs - just few fewer commute miles for the people that already had those jobs jobs jobs.

These back pocket parcels of land could be better deployed on a more impactful project where adding it the deal mean the difference between Frisco or Dallas. Selling off a one time asset as promotional billboard is aweful expensive advertizing in a space where Frisco is already known. Frisco lacks the other infrastructure to support solid F500 relocations like mass transit, arts programs and a connection to a prestigious University. Being the JJ teet is not seen nationally as an advantage.

orchid

Still plenty of land left in Frisco along DNT, 380 and other areas that will work well for corporate relocations. Literally for decades. Nothing sacred or scarce about this small Keurig/DP tract. It would have stayed a Cowboys player parking lot for perhaps decades if the City & The Star had not came up with this creative use.

Yes, Keurig/Dr Pepper announced 400 jobs (Read the press releases) on top of the existing Keurig/Dr Pepper current employee population in Plano.

Great city infrastructure, supportive business climate, performing arts program coming on in spades (my partners & I are currently building a concert hall on DNT for example - several others also in the planning stage), UNT building their second large campus in Frisco and they have inserted themselves very actively into the business community - joint meetings & business events weekly. (Really the only thing that we’re missing is mass transit - but not a cost effective solution has come up yet that the voters will pay for. Props to City council for listening to the residents - nor wasting money on Dart or other boondoggles yet - but they continue to explore solutions long term.)

Please link to where it states there will be 400 additional jobs

Must have been in the verbal discussion at city council meeting when they approved the land sale. Or I got it off a post on another social media site. Good catch. (My bad, it was not in the Keurig press release after all. They’re adding new positions, but I don’t remember how many. One of my family members is applying.)

Len_A

Bronze Member
I missed that acquisition. I had no idea that Keurig had bought Dr Pepper last year. Last I knew Keurig was having financial issues because of slumping sales from the whole keurig 2.0 pod issues. Needless to say, my wife keeps them in business.
Makes two of us, and a buddy of mine made an effing fortune when then Green Mountain Coffee company bought out Dietrich Coffee Company (owners of Gloria Jeans). Missed this merger big time.