Just moved and my water bills seem high. confirmation?

777att

5k sqft home with a pool and irrigation system. 4 people living there. May usage 17700, June 26200. I certainly haven't been conservative but I'm wondering if that's normal, high, or crazy high.

Thanks in advance!

IBM5081

Platinum Member
I do not have a pool but those numbers look like they are 3x what they should be. I would suspect a leak in the slab. pool system or irrigation system. Let's look at June with 26,200 usage. If it were just a bit higher at 30,000 that would be 1,000 gallons PER DAY. Something ought to be DROWNING.
My usage for two people, no pool and irrigation system off is in the 5,000-9,000 gallon per month range - about 1/3 of what you are seeing.
Contact the city to help you determine WHEN peak water usage times occur. If it occurs at night, everything could be absorbed by dawn. Start with a dawn, noon and sunset reading for a couple of days to see if the flow is uniform or driven by a timer on a cycle.

Turn off all your water appliances and open the green box in front of your house. Your meter will have a little red triangle. If it is still spinning there is a leak in the system (toilet, sprinker, etc) then turn off the water to the sprinklers. If the spinning stops - it is in the sprinkler system. If it keeps going it is most likely a toilet.

Your water usage calculation is directly related to how many girls are in the house. When they hit their teens you can watch Lake Lavon go down in the morning.

777att

Turn off all your water appliances and open the green box in front of your house. Your meter will have a little red triangle. If it is still spinning there is a leak in the system (toilet, sprinker, etc) then turn off the water to the sprinklers. If the spinning stops - it is in the sprinkler system. If it keeps going it is most likely a toilet.

Your water usage calculation is directly related to how many girls are in the house. When they hit their teens you can watch Lake Lavon go down in the morning.
It's a digital water meter... would you know if that has the "little red triangle"... I can't check right now but will when I get home. I would imagine if it doesn't I could see the water usage represented on the digital read out? maybe I should google search a bit to see if I can see usage then attempt to test as you suggested. Thanks!

The city may also be helpful in determining if there is a leak, they used to be pretty helpful back in the day.

In a 5000sf house there are probably bathrooms nobody is using regularly. If you hear the tanks getting refilled, the little stopper in the tank is leaking.

It's a $7 repair and I recommend replacing all of them in the house at the same time. For some reason they seemed to wear out quickly in Frisco compared to other places.

777att

Frisco Utilities sent someone out early this morning after I contacted them late yesterday. That's pretty good service from a city service IMO. The guy was super nice and he made sure there was no leak at the meter as well as looking at my irrigation by shutting it off and back on and watching the meter which I had tried as well but it's a logical step. He said it appears there is a small leak there.... meter would show 0 GPM then show .33GPM every once in a while. I'm gonna have the irrigation company come back out just to make sure my drips are good and look for anything else obvious but wanted to report this back here in case anyone else with similar questions/concerns now or in the future. I'll report back if I discover any other info.

I also want to mention that my friend with a similar size home and pool has a higher bill this past two months so I don't think I'm as far off as some have indicated. If you have a significant irrigation and use it 2 or 3 times a week and a pool and 4 people... it can get up there pretty fast.

I also want to mention that I took readings the past couple of days and the usage was around 200gallons ... when I read today it will include the sprinklers so I'm curious to see the results there.

3700 square foot home. Highest month last year - (July 2017) 14230

Last billed month (June 2018) 15100

Previous before that (May 2018) 8300

Though no pool. Only 3 live here. No teenagers. Right now, we irrigate 3-4 cycles a week.