If you drive drunk, you deserve to die....

EscapeRocks

Triple Platinum
.....not the people you run into.

I thank god my daughter and her friend and her mom are okay!

If you haven't heard, a moron plowed thru a crowd near the end of the Oklahoma State University homecoming parade today. Three people are dead, but of course not the woman who caused the deaths. She's in custody.
She deserves death as far as I'm concerned.

My daughter and my ex missed being hit by 5 feet.

perseco

Double Platinum
Have you ever had a mug of beer or a wine and then drove?Be honest.Think long and hard about that.
Most I've ever had before driving was half a bottle of Corona.

Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to ask yourself if you might need to drive later before ordering any alcohol. If you will be driving soon, pretty much any liquor is out of the question... and if you can't stop after 1 beer in that situation and drink water or something else, then you should probably get some help with that alcoholism problem.

EscapeRocks

Triple Platinum
Have you ever had a mug of beer or a wine and then drove?Be honest.Think long and hard about that.

I don't drink, so no. I can honestly say I've never done that. In fact I am always the designated driver.

Water and soda for me.

And no, I'm not one who's against alcohol (or liquor stores). I just don't care for the taste of wine, beer, liquor, etc.. Not a judgment thing. I just never acquired a taste for it.

Same with Brussel Sprouts. :D

Last edited:

EscapeRocks

Triple Platinum
ok I understand that. Emotions make one think the way I do. I admit that.

I still say drunk driving should not be classified as a mistake. It's a conscious decision to drink then get in a vehicle. This 25 year old woman was drunk at 10am and killed 3 people and critically injured at least 10 more.

Kenda

Platinum Member
Agree completely EscapeRocks, with your initial comment. I'm lucky (if you can call all my physical issues "lucky") to be alive after being hit by a drunk driver when I was 18. I was stopped, he was going 80. Never braked. Changed my whole life path.

Last edited:

LLB

Silver Member
Nope I haven't! I've lost too many family members because of drunk driving. Nearly lost my husband 6 years ago from a DD hitting him while he was standing on the side of the road.

People do make mistakes BUT when you decide to drink then you should give your keys to someone else. If you wanna get drunk, fine just don't drive.

EscapeRocks

Triple Platinum
Also, maybe my initial post was poorly worded. It was my way of ranting that the drunk drivers always seem to live, but their victims die or are changed for a lifetime.

People make mistakes, but glad thy're okay.
I'll give you that she made a mistake. Driving drunk was the mistake, once she hit people it was past making a mistake. I've made plenty of mistakes but zero of those has caused the loss of life. This person killed 3 people and injured many more, she deserves a quick death penalty for what she did after she made the mistake of drinking and driving.

Burning the biscuits is a mistake. Driving drunk isn't. She chose to drink, she chose to drive drunk. That's intentional, not a mistake.

And now a fourth victim has passed. A two year old at the parade with parents succumbed this evening.

4 or 5 more kids are still in the hospital in fair to critical condition based on the latest reports from Stillwater.

:mad:

My family and I were 3 blocks from the crash. Very tragic.

Let me say that OSU President's comments were very true. The parade route was lined with young families and little kids. The parade featured HS marching bands with school sizes below 100, dogs on parade, WWII military flyovers, tributes to our soldiers, antique tractors, a lawn mower drill team and antique fire engines - it was truly a big slice of wholesome Americana. All of Stillwater, especially the citizens of Stillwater were there to cheer the participants on and say hello to their neighbors. The elderly lady in front us got up several times to walk out in the parade and say hello to friends.

It's unfortunate and tragic that it was drastically changed into a scene of horror.

This is a terrible tragedy. This young woman chose to drink and then drive and who knows why she crashed the parade. I heard this morning there are 4 dead and 44 injured. Praying for all.

Honestly,

The story coming out of Stillwater is very confusing. She was with her family the night before looking at the Pomp contest at OSU. Went to work the next morning at an ice cream shop, left work for some unknown reason seemed sober at the time and then by 10:30am she is plowing her elantra through a crowd. I am really very confused how somebody could get that drunk on alcohol that quickly. Your body cannot absorb alcohol quick enough to get to that 2.0+ level. To do what she did, it would have to be a very high BAC.

Kenda

Platinum Member
Honestly,

The story coming out of Stillwater is very confusing. She was with her family the night before looking at the Pomp contest at OSU. Went to work the next morning at an ice cream shop, left work for some unknown reason seemed sober at the time and then by 10:30am she is plowing her elantra through a crowd. I am really very confused how somebody could get that drunk on alcohol that quickly. Your body cannot absorb alcohol quick enough to get to that 2.0+ level. To do what she did, it would have to be a very high BAC.
I read an article yesterday that said she was arrested for "allegedly" driving drunk. Wouldn't they know almost immediately if she was drunk? Otoh, allegedly is way overused by the media. I'm not sure they know what the word means.

The driver worked her shift at Freddy's until 9 PM or so the night before - then joined her boyfriend, family, friends etc for some evening homecoming festivities including the "walk around". She went to work - I believe at 9 AM the next morning - then released about 2 hours into her shift because the manager said she appeared to be under the influence of drugs.

I'm thinking she probably had drugs (or significant alcohol) in her system from partying into the wee hours with visitors. She should have called in sick. So probably a combination of drugs, alcohol and sleep deprivation - so she leaves Freddy's to drive home Saturday morning around 11 AM (she lived with the boyfriend) - took her normal route home. Forgot/didn't notice due to sleep deprivation/drugs the parade route. Hits the unmanned police motorcycle - panics further and accelerates into the crowd.

Just speculation based on friends there - my daughter is there this weekend with some other Frisco young alums. (This is the first time my wife and I have missed OSU's homecoming in at least a decade due to my work obligations. Plus we knew the Kansas game would be boring. We always stay in 1 of 3 hotels near that intersection - then eat at the Panera at that intersection then walk to the parade route. We would have been standing near that corner.)

Several things - let's keep an open mind. People said she was normally a good responsible kid. Probably why she showed up to work the next morning - she should have slept in. We don't know if she was regularly under the influence of drugs/alcohol. She made a huge mistake that will haunt her the rest of her life. I'm not defending her in anyway btw.

Btw, the manager nor her co-workers should have let this young woman drive home by herself. (And her boyfriend and friends should not have let her drive anywhere that day. Ultimately of course her fault - but please step in if you see a friend under the influence. Take the keys away please.)

ETA - prayers for the many victims. Deaths include the 2 year-old boy, an OSU professor and wife both 65, and an Indian grad student in her young 20's.

List of victims:

http://stillwater.org/government/ci...ment/fatality_collision_at_osu_homecoming.php

Last edited: