I don't like cops...

Kooter

Bronze Member
Most cops have prior military experience. It's amazing how they're heroes when serving their country yet when they are serving their communities as police officers they're hated by many.

There are many good deeds done by thousands of cops everyday but ya never here about those, whether it's changing someone's flat tire or saving a life. Let one of them do something stupid and it's all over the news and FOL.

There have been several cops killed in shoot outs in Texas and it doesn't even get mentioned on FOL. Let a off duty cop get a DWI or shoot a dog and people on FOL are all over it. Guess that's just the kind of people we've become.

Cops are human and make human mistakes and some make stupid decisions that lands them in trouble or in the news. The overwhelming majority of them try hard to serve their communities just as they served their country as soldiers,sailors, airmen and marines.

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
The only time I don't like cops is when I get caught doing something wrong.

(not that I ever do anything wrong......I'm perfect too.......just like the rest of FOL)

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
A traffic ticket can destroy a whole lot of public relations.

You know what?
After getting multiple speeding tickets in a short time frame......

I quit speeding.

Funny thing about it though.......each time I got caught.....
I just put my head down and said.... yes sir.....I do know how fast I was going......

No excuses......and no lies......just where do I sign.....

Thankfully, my MVR has been clean for over 5 years now.

There are a whole lot of very very good cops... a lot that put everything on the line everyday... God bless them and their dedication...

Everyone is human...people, cops, doctors, lawyers, etc... and they all make mistakes...but as they say, on bad apple can ruin the whole damn bunch...

The OP has some great examples of cops doing great things...the subsequent condescending posts detract from it unfortunately...

Throstle

Silver Member
Most cops have prior military experience. It's amazing how they're heroes when serving their country yet when they are serving their communities as police officers they're hated by many.
Maybe because cops are not supposed to act like members of the military. Sadly, many think they're still on patrol in Baghdad or Kabul and treat members of the public as the enemy.

When the WSJ publishes this article, things must be bad:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323848804578608040780519904.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

aggieteach

Double Platinum

You know what?
After getting multiple speeding tickets in a short time frame......

I quit speeding.

Funny thing about it though.......each time I got caught.....
I just put my head down and said.... yes sir.....I do know how fast I was going......

No excuses......and no lies......just where do I sign.....

Thankfully, my MVR has been clean for over 5 years now.
See I think that is it. There is a lack of self accountability. I speed; I get caught; I give the cop an attitude. Yet it is all the cop's fault, the city's fault, anyone's fault but my own.

I will always admit fault when I am speeding, when I am not paying attention to the speed (just as bad), or knew my speed but didn't notice the change of speed sign (still my fault for not paying attention). I won't give a police officer an attitude therefore I have only received an attitude once in return. Oh well, may have been a bad day. You tell people how to treat you with the way you treat them ... and it is a cop-out (not an intentional pun) to say that "they were rude to me." That, to me, sounds like the adult version of "he started it!"

It hurts my heart when I know that cops are the ones out there that keep me safe and they are treated like scum. Yes, a very small handful are arrogant and on powertrips, but it is a very small handful.

When someone is trying to kill you how are you supposed to act ?
As someone wrote elsewhere, you're not a soldier, this isn't war, and you aren't an occupying force dealing with insurgents. If you think you are, and you treat all non-police as potential threats, you need to turn in your badge and gun and get psychological help.

As someone wrote elsewhere, you're not a soldier, this isn't war, and you aren't an occupying force dealing with insurgents. If you think you are, and you treat all non-police as potential threats, you need to turn in your badge and gun and get psychological help.
Your effort to portray police officers as believing they are soldiers is a joke. We know who we are, where we are, and in what environment we work. We also know that our day can go from absolutely boring to an all out struggle for survival in a split second. That's why we train, that's why we have SWAT teams and special equipment.

Becoming a cop is a choice, but it's not a suicide pact. Take away the weapons and tactics that have evolved IN RESPONSE to criminal tactics, and I'll be happy to let you approach any vehicle or go through any door ahead of me.

Police training and tactics is almost always in response to an incident(s) that has already occurred. Hopefully you will never need the services of a SWAT team. If you do though I know one thing without a doubt; if someone is holding a gun to the head of you or a loved one, you won't be protesting the arrival of that well equipped and well trained team.

OKTX

Triple Platinum
I like cops.

Shame you only hear about the lousy ones. But its like anything else. A customer is a lot more likely to tell everyone they know about poor service than one who receives good service.

Frankly, I have yet to have a bad experience with FPD. Only local cop I've had a problem with was in The Colony years ago. I got ticketed and rightly so. But the guy was a real jerk and displayed an attitude. There was no call for it as I was courteous and compliant. He was a supervisor too. I did the right thing and sent in a formal letter of complaint.

I like cops.

Shame you only hear about the lousy ones. But its like anything else. A customer is a lot more likely to tell everyone they know about poor service than one who receives good service.

Frankly, I have yet to have a bad experience with FPD. Only local cop I've had a problem with was in The Colony years ago. I got ticketed and rightly so. But the guy was a real jerk and displayed an attitude. There was no call for it as I was courteous and compliant. He was a supervisor too. I did the right thing and sent in a formal letter of complaint.

Wait! You didn't just get on FOL and whine about it? You actually took the time to try to correct the issue? Impossible!!!!

Police training and tactics is almost always in response to an incident(s) that has already occurred. Hopefully you will never need the services of a SWAT team. If you do though I know one thing without a doubt; if someone is holding a gun to the head of you or a loved one, you won't be protesting the arrival of that well equipped and well trained team.
Go ahead, defend the indefensible with your usual spittle and how paramilitary cops and their tactics are actually for our benefit. Ignore how scores of innocent fellow citizens have fallen victim to your aggression, disproportionate use of force and Us Vs. Them mentality.

For anyone who gives a damn about how prevalent these abuses have become, check out this map published by the Cato Institute.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap

IOnly local cop I've had a problem with was in The Colony years ago. I got ticketed and rightly so. But the guy was a real jerk and displayed an attitude. There was no call for it as I was courteous and compliant. He was a supervisor too. I did the right thing and sent in a formal letter of complaint.
And what became of your formal letter of complaint?

Kooter

Bronze Member
Go ahead, defend the indefensible with your usual spittle and how paramilitary cops and their tactics are actually for our benefit. Ignore how scores of innocent fellow citizens have fallen victim to your aggression, disproportionate use of force and Us Vs. Them mentality.

For anyone who gives a damn about how prevalent these abuses have become, check out this map published by the Cato Institute.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap
Maybe you'd be happier and feel more secure if po po carried paintball guns gave out daisies instead of tickets.

M4ForMe

Bronze Member
I really love how someone who has never done a job finds it within himself to condemn and go out of his way to condemn those who do.

Straight up and direct question directed at Throstle: Did you serve in the military and/or have you worn a badge?