How would you spend your last day of ever working??

van

Diamond Member
I'd tell my beyotch of a boss she can take her long hours, lousy pay, crappy benefits and shove them right where the sun doesn.........

....oh, wait.....

After taxes it isn't enough to retire on.
ummmm....wait...why isn't it enough to retire on?...

Rough calculations show a 60% payout for lump sump which is approx. 900M and taxes will take roughly half of that, so that leaves you with approx. 450M. what kind of lifestyle are you going to live that you can't live out your life on 450M, especially since the least aggressive investments should bring you a 10% return on that money yearly...that's 45M per year? I don't think my math is screwed up and my numbers are rounded up from what will probably be taken out if you opt for a lump sum payout. Again....450-500M is not enough to retire on?

Furthermore...the 30 year payout is 50M per year, which is only subject to taxes...so let's say the IRS takes 50% total here, leaving you with roughly 25M a year for 30 years? That's not enough? Really....REALLY?

editing to add...I think the annuity is calculated to where the yearly payout starts at a lower amount and then increases each year....but I don't know what that is...

Last edited:
Top tax bracket in Texas is 39.6% - I checked before playing.

The implied interest rate on the Lottery is 1.7% APR. If I lived in a high state income state I would take the 1st year annuity and move.

Technically, since you can still claim residency in another state, I would move immediately so my 2016 taxes reflected a no state income state.

I have a plan

Top tax bracket in Texas is 39.6% - I checked before playing.

The implied interest rate on the Lottery is 1.7% APR. If I lived in a high state income state I would take the 1st year annuity and move.

Technically, since you can still claim residency in another state, I would move immediately so my 2016 taxes reflected a no state income state.

I have a plan
ummm...I think your "home" state can claim taxes on your winnings for the entirety of your annuity....not sure, but pretty sure...

I would come to work as usual until I had all my ducks in a row and the money was in my bank account...and even then, I would probably finish out the week...basically that first effort to try to move on like normal...trying not to do anything crazy...except maybe changing my phone number...

I would come to work as usual until I had all my ducks in a row and the money was in my bank account...and even then, I would probably finish out the week...basically that first effort to try to move on like normal...trying not to do anything crazy...except maybe changing my phone number...
I think you underestimate the circus that is about to ensue for somebody(s).

Mom+4

Silver Member
Everyone that works with me would get a heck of a bonus, would pause the company (keep a few strategic folks for maintenance). GO HAVE SOME FUN (or as much as a mom can with a kid in school). We'd have a kick-:censored::censored::censored: Spring Break - that's for certain.

Winning this kind of money ...managing it becomes a full-time job.

perseco

Double Platinum
I would probably spend most of my "last day" on the phone with a lawyer to establish a trust before claiming the money. I'd probably continue working for a few months before quitting.

Last edited: