How Do You Feel About the Growth in the Area?

Skeeter

Platinum Member
The high property tax will probably be the main reason I leave also. I will find a place with none or very little like yours, and no state income tax only Federal.
Tennessee has no state income tax. Property taxes are lower than Texas. I'm looking at possibly moving there when I retire. Alabama does tax withdrawals from a 401k, but not SS or pension income.

Skeeter

Platinum Member
Sure. But in Texas we have plenty of beef, poultry and seafood to choose from. You, being a Texan transplant, will soon forget that good ole taste of angus barbeque beef and join your new found kin to some hearty squirrel meat... Bon apetit Skeeter!!!

Full disclosure... I once considered you as a possible "go to survivalist" I would turn to in case of catastrophe.
Now, I have to start over and look elsewhere... or seek you out in a foreign country.

I was counting on you Skeeter. But I'll find someone else...
The hardest part of leaving, was having to sell my share of the ranch near Abilene. Seven of us were turning it into our Doomsday Prepper bug out place. Three windmills to provide water, 4 propane tanks of 500 gals each, two fishing ponds, cattle and wildlife, a large garden. It will be self sustaining in a couple of more years.

Rimrock

Double Platinum
Shocker
Austin is our destination, it looks like, if we stay in Texas. Also looking at Colorado, a bit.
Enjoy their 4th tier symphony! And when Frisco gets to 400+ check back..maybe we will be lucky enough by then to have a hall that gets 5th tier shows like the Eisemann. Me thinks culture actually means everyone thinks lefty like me.

demvet

Bronze Member
Shocker

Enjoy their 4th tier symphony! And when Frisco gets to 400+ check back..maybe we will be lucky enough by then to have a hall that gets 5th tier shows like the Eisemann. Me thinks culture actually means everyone thinks lefty like me.
Nice attack. I didn't think an appreciation for the arts was a right/left thing. I understand the funding of said things is, but certainly not the enjoyment that is gleaned from it. But, considering the intelligence level of the source (you), I am sure the velvet, framed, "Dogs Playing Poker" hanging in your game room is what you deem art.

I remember when they were complaining about Frisco using too much water. But now they issue building permits every 5 minutes. I wish they would slow down the building and development.

I remember when they were complaining about Frisco using too much water. But now they issue building permits every 5 minutes. I wish they would slow down the building and development.
I don't see any slow down in the building around here, as long as the economy is growing especially in the D/FW area. Cheap housing is starting to become a thing of the past in the D/FW area, which was on of the trademarks for our area for ever.

raven70

Double Platinum
The best thing that ever happened to Frisco was the recession after '08. Folks probably asking what recession, but that slow down in growth we had from about '09-'13 was how it should have stayed. As soon as things improved in the economy, the area went nuts and I totally expect another bubble to burst in a few years after the commercial growth slows.

Punching out as well. Not even waiting for son to finish HS. Property/House hunting Lake Wylie / Clover area in SC and targeting 2018. Even with state income tax, slightly lower cost of living, property taxes, and areas we are looking are built out already. Before anyone says anything, completely understand areas south of Charlotte (Tega Cay, Rock Hill, Fort Mill), are just like Frisco and experiencing hyper growth and avoiding those areas.

Now about Frisco. Moved to North Dallas '97. Owned home in Lewisville '98 - '05, and in Frisco since '05. HATE IT NOW. Take a drive up Coit form Eldorado through Frisco/McKinney border and along Panther Creek or Rockhill toward Preston. Can't even recognize it with the building going on. Had to run to Kroger yesterday at Custer and Eldorado and line of cars coming into parking lot. Every store/strip/ whatever was packed. Great for growth and business, but I have had enough. I will get some good money for house, but could never afford to live here or want to.

Things I will miss are helping to build Hope Park, volunteering at the elementary school, coaching Miracle League, and watching my daughter go to prom. I feel like Luke Skywalker. . ."there is nothing for me here now. . "

MSJ

Triple Platinum
I liked Frisco, Allen and McKinney better when there were more cows than people. But we had to drive to Valley View or Richardson to shop. You bought your groceries at Mosley's in Frisco and Allen or drove to Plano. Not the 121 and DNT Plano. were talking the Custer and Parker Plano.

But growth is going to continue so I'm embracing it till I retire in 3 or 4 years then I will be splitting time between Salado Tex and Copper Mountain Colo.

We just moved here, me with my family. I am excited on the new surroundings, new environment and meet new people. But hearing this, makes me wonder on how does the people here lived, Is it that peaceful what I think it would be?
Frisco is an extremely peaceful and well kept city. Probably one of the best in the USA.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the growth. Prior to moving to Frisco we always lived closer to downtown and moving to the suburbs with kids was more about practicality. We wanted good schools without having to go private and extracurricular classes for the kids so it made sense. I'm so happy to see restaurants like Neighborhood Services Grill and places like the Omni opening. It just makes it more convenient. I understand the need for arts options but with all of our kids activities I don't have a ton of time to go to the theater, etc. so Dallas is close enough for me at this point. When we moved here initially (The Trails) there was not even a grocery store closer than Preston so it has come a long way and I'm happy for it. However, I'm not a person who can see myself living out at the lake or in the country on an everyday basis. I think it is nice to getaway but I am happier with having conveniences close to home.

If I didn't have kids about to start school I would sell my Plano house and move. Possibly to Richardson or Carrollton. The property taxes are ridiculous and I'm tired of paying taxes on a made up valuation. As far as crowds and traffic, that hasn't really been an issue for me in Plano. Plano is an incredibly well-designed city with retail spread out instead of being clustered along Preston.

Rooster

Silver Member
Love it here. Then again, I never expected Frisco to be any other way than what it has become. I knew when I moved here a decade and a half ago it would eventually turn into Plano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jen_nah

Platinum Member
All I can say is 4 more year and then we are OUT!!! Hubby can work anywhere as long as he is within driving distance to an airport. We want to be in the middle of nowhere.

If I didn't have kids about to start school I would sell my Plano house and move. Possibly to Richardson or Carrollton. The property taxes are ridiculous and I'm tired of paying taxes on a made up valuation. As far as crowds and traffic, that hasn't really been an issue for me in Plano. Plano is an incredibly well-designed city with retail spread out instead of being clustered along Preston.
Anywhere in our area the property tax are out of control and houses are no longer cheap.

My main gripe about Plano is they are always working on the roads off Parker street and Coit, Indepenepence and Custer. They have had constant road construction in that area for 5 plus years, if you ever notice they tear up sections of roads and replace them. Why don't they just put in a new street or put in a new surface instead of constantly patching them.

In Plano if you get over around Parker area and go West of 75 then it's pretty ghetto area over there.

Mommyp

Platinum Member
So here is a little breakdown on my savings since moving to NM......

Property taxes - N. Dallas - $14,500 NM - $3,200
Car Insurance - N. Dallas - $5,000/yr NM - $3,150
House Insur - N. Dallas - $2,600 NM - $1,400

Did I mention NO TOLL ROADS??

For all the propaganda about LOW TAXES in Texas, I would say it's Buffalo Carp.

My local Kroger sells alcohol and there is a craft beer BAR in the store. $3.50/pint!!!

No Crime - Really. Our police blotter is filled with speeding 1 - 5MPH over. Workers leave their tool out overnight at the job sites.

FYI - the School system here is OUTSTANDING. The STEM program is unmatched. Of course, the entire town is filled with nuclear, materials and chemical scientists.

Leaving N. Texas has been a GREAT decision. Although, I do miss the HS football.

Last edited: