How Do You Feel About the Growth in the Area?

Londoner

Platinum Member
We lived in Frisco between '97 and '00... moved out the day the mall had its grand opening, and lived in far north dallas for the next five years... our concern at the time was the area was growing too fast for the infra to keep up with it, hence traffic and all else that comes along with that

Left Texas for about six years, and came back in '11... started looking for houses in '12, with Frisco in our crosshairs, hoping the congestion had improved, and it hadn't... just kept growing at a ridiculous pace... looked at over a dozen houses and then realized it wasn't the place for us... decided on McKinney (also looked at Propser, Plano, and Allen), as the growth has been slower (sometimes not a great thing), and the fact that we're still close enough to enjoy all the spoils Frisco offers... and now we'll be just down the road to enjoy that retail explosion that JJ is working on in Prosper...

We've been extremely happy with our choice, and glad we stayed away from Frisco... nothing against it, personally... it just wasn't and isn't what we're looking for in a home

I moved to Frisco in late 2009 when they were giving houses away. I paid $64 sq ft for a 4500 sq ft house that was highly upgraded and only 4 years old. I am just waiting for a few more years and let the housing market keep going up and up and I will probably sale and move to Philippines.

I will say I have enjoyed Frisco while I have been here, and I am only about 1/8 mile for a 5500 acre Ranch that sure feels like I almost live in the country.

Londoner

Platinum Member
I moved to Frisco in late 2009 when they were giving houses away. I paid $64 sq ft for a 4500 sq ft house that was highly upgraded and only 4 years old. I am just waiting for a few more years and let the housing market keep going up and up and I will probably sale and move to Philippines.

I will say I have enjoyed Frisco while I have been here, and I am only about 1/8 mile for a 5500 acre Ranch that sure feels like I almost live in the country.
i used to hit golf balls over 720/Main into the Brinkmann Ranch property

Mugzy

Silver Member
I am dreading what traffic will be like around the ohio/gaylord intersection once all of the apartments being built are full.

Right now, traffic in Frisco is not too bad as long as you stay off Preston.

So I am wondering what you all expected when you bought here? You see how Plano is.... did you not realize that the population and housing growth was going north? That someday the population of Frisco was not going to stay at what it was 10, 15 or 20 years ago. You are now moving up to Prosper, you do realize that in 10 years it will start having the same growth that started her 15 years ago.

I first built here in '94. I think the growth is great. Frisco has turned into a real city that pretty much has everything that you want and need. There is no way to really control the speed of growth as it is tied to the economy. Frisco happens to be in the right place at the right time and our leaders have done a pretty good job keeping the chaos directed. Frisco was destined to be a large suburban/exurban area due to geography and based on how Dallas expanded with the toll road.

Some people thought that we would grow a little more from when they bought in but were wrong. Since before I got here it was going to be a big happening place. Prosper and Celina are next up the road and will likely be similar at some point based on the ebbs and flows of the economy.

When my kid gets out of college and settles down I may choose a different place to live.but will see how that works out. I still like being here in Frisco and am proud of the city.

I moved to the Richardson area from Garland in the mid 80's and there was nothing around our house. Just farm fields and stock ponds. We were one of the first houses in the neighborhood. Now Richardson is basically built out. What little green space is left is being gobbled up by retail and apartment communities. I moved to Plano about 10 years ago and the same thing is happening to Plano. There wasn't much room left when I got to Plano and there's even less now. My commute from Plano to Richardson for work used to take 20 minutes. Now I'm lucky to make it in 45 minutes. There are just too many people heading North/South on the roads.

The current mayor of Plano is a champion of high density housing (apartments). There are city elections coming up and many of the candidates in Plano are running saying they oppose high density housing as it changes the identity of Plano. IMO, most people that moved to Plano want it to stay a suburb. They don't want to be Addison or something like that.

The reality is that as long as the cost of doing business and cost of living is less here than other major metropolitan areas businesses will keep moving here and the growth will continue. It sucks but it is what it is. My wife and I keep joking that we're going to move to Arkansas soon to get away from all these people. It'll never happen because we can't leave our families that all live here but it's nice to dream.

demvet

Bronze Member
Just a little over 3 years and we will be heading out. Been great for the last 10 years, and a great place for the kids to grow up, and we will gt a pretty penny for our house. Problem isn't so much the growth, as it is the lack of culture that one would hope would come with such growth. I cannot envision living in a 400K+ metropolis that has no Symphony, or serious art or theatre options (though I do applaud The Discovery Center), or special museums. Majority of restaurants are chains. Frisco is lacking in character, and a bit too cookie cutter for my long term desire.

Austin is our destination, it looks like, if we stay in Texas. Also looking at Colorado, a bit.

Culture?? Have you seen the cattle drive sculpture at the mall?? Any attempt at culture here is met with disdain. That being said, I get that it's tough to have culture when you are traveling between Bobby and Cindy's games the entire weekend. But as there are many more empty nesters and a quickly aging population in "Southern" Frisco cultural amenities will become more important.

By culture, I do not mean watching millionaire athletes sweat to the enjoyment of the Friscuex aristocracy. Dance for me Dez, Dance!!! I do so love when they dance. Pass me the mint Julip please.

Just a little over 3 years and we will be heading out. Been great for the last 10 years, and a great place for the kids to grow up, and we will gt a pretty penny for our house. Problem isn't so much the growth, as it is the lack of culture that one would hope would come with such growth. I cannot envision living in a 400K+ metropolis that has no Symphony, or serious art or theatre options (though I do applaud The Discovery Center), or special museums. Majority of restaurants are chains. Frisco is lacking in character, and a bit too cookie cutter for my long term desire.

Austin is our destination, it looks like, if we stay in Texas. Also looking at Colorado, a bit.
Guess we found the vegan in the group:dance3:

Skeeter

Platinum Member
I punched out three years ago when I relocated to Huntsville, AL. I miss Texas, but not when I pay my $650 annual property tax. Yes, we have a state income tax, but I'm not taxed on how much I should pay because my neighbor is paid more than I. I now live in Meridianville. My coworkers couldn't understand why I was happy with a 20 minute commute to work. Lastly, with the right boat and money and time, I could launch at Ditto's Landing on the Tennessee River and come out at New Orleans.

Yes, you will say, but it is Alabama. True. The reason we are so religious here is because we get on our knees every night, praying to God, thanking Him for creating Mississippi.

But I still fly my Texas flag, except when Texas Tech plays football. Then the Double T goes up.

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
I punched out three years ago when I relocated to Huntsville, AL. I miss Texas, but not when I pay my $650 annual property tax. Yes, we have a state income tax, but I'm not taxed on how much I should pay because my neighbor is paid more than I. I now live in Meridianville. My coworkers couldn't understand why I was happy with a 20 minute commute to work. Lastly, with the right boat and money and time, I could launch at Ditto's Landing on the Tennessee River and come out at New Orleans.

Yes, you will say, but it is Alabama. True. The reason we are so religious here is because we get on our knees every night, praying to God, thanking Him for creating Mississippi.

But I still fly my Texas flag, except when Texas Tech plays football. Then the Double T goes up.
And in addition to all that, I bet there's plenty of possum, skunk and raccoons for everyone to eat! :)

GUNS UP!!!

Skeeter

Platinum Member
And in addition to all that, I bet there's plenty of possum, skunk and raccoons for everyone to eat! :)
Probably the same number as in Texas. But..., there is no state limit on catfish. As long as they are over 15 and under 30 inches, I can load the boat. I'll take catfish over possum any day.

The high property tax will probably be the main reason I leave also. I will find a place with none or very little like yours, and no state income tax only Federal.

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
Probably the same number as in Texas. But..., there is no state limit on catfish. As long as they are over 15 and under 30 inches, I can load the boat. I'll take catfish over possum any day.
Sure. But in Texas we have plenty of beef, poultry and seafood to choose from. You, being a Texan transplant, will soon forget that good ole taste of angus barbeque beef and join your new found kin to some hearty squirrel meat... Bon apetit Skeeter!!!

Full disclosure... I once considered you as a possible "go to survivalist" I would turn to in case of catastrophe.
Now, I have to start over and look elsewhere... or seek you out in a foreign country.

I was counting on you Skeeter. But I'll find someone else...