Homeland Security warning triggered by IE bug

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
This is pretty important although its not just about Frisco.

The flaw affects Internet Explorer 6 through version 11.

Chrome has proven to be strong in Hacker tests or Fire Fox if you are not using one of those I would recommend using them.

I think there are a lot of computer savvy people here who probably don't use IE, but this is worth noting.

Also update Adobe Flash as it is often used to hack computers there is a new update as of last week

Internet Explorer Glitch Leaves Computers Vulnerable to Hackers

Also see the link about Windows XP Support Expires: What You Need to Do? on the link above.

Chris1771

Silver Member
This is pretty important although its not just about Frisco.

The flaw affects Internet Explorer 6 through version 11.

Chrome has proven to be strong in Hacker tests or Fire Fox if you are not using one of those I would recommend using them.

I think there are a lot of computer savvy people here who probably don't use IE, but this is worth noting.

Also update Adobe Flash as it is often used to hack computers there is a new update as of last week

Internet Explorer Glitch Leaves Computers Vulnerable to Hackers

Also see the link about Windows XP Support Expires: What You Need to Do? on the link above.
Who TF uses IE anymore? Haven't people learned by now?

dmp9898

Silver Member
Surprisingly - Hospitals. Believe it or not some of those hospital apps don't work on Chrome. Some hospitals don't allow anything other than IE as the IT director may feel that nurses and doctors are not knowledgeable about operating systems and the desktops are locked down so they can do just what's needed.

Surprisingly - Universities. See above. We even support hospitals that are not all migrated to Windows 7.

IT and Healthcare are two very different fields.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
I still have people that can't find the power button to the computer and it wasn't that many years ago I had someone who thought turning their monitor off was actually turning the computer off.

For most people, they use what's on the computer when they get it.

debw712

Diamond Member
I use Chrome and I "search" for a living, but have found that other OS yield different results so sometimes I have to go into IE. For example there is a site called 'Mypoints" that does not work off Chrome, you have to login through IE to access the game/contest portion of that.

Since we are in marketing, we sometimes have to get in to those areas.

I sent this notice to my coworkers, and one very sage man told me he will not give up IE. Why?" I have no idea.

This is scary. If I am understanding this correctly they can slip in and without you even knowing take control of your computer? So does that mean even when you are not on they can login to stuff as you FROM your computer?

dmp9898

Silver Member
I use Chrome and I "search" for a living, but have found that other OS yield different results so sometimes I have to go into IE. For example there is a site called 'Mypoints" that does not work off Chrome, you have to login through IE to access the game/contest portion of that.

Since we are in marketing, we sometimes have to get in to those areas.

I sent this notice to my coworkers, and one very sage man told me he will not give up IE. Why?" I have no idea.

This is scary. If I am understanding this correctly they can slip in and without you even knowing take control of your computer? So does that mean even when you are not on they can login to stuff as you FROM your computer?
Some folks in a hospital in Oregon were using Chrome until they found that strange things were happening and they were coming up with erroneous results. The desktop team had to go in and remove Chrome from every computer and create a process to keep track of those that needed waivers because they had to work in Chrome. We just got a letter from one of the hospitals that we support. That came from the University with whom they have their affiliation. That letter warned everybody stay off the internet and use it only when absolutely needed and to limit that use. Of course that was until Microsoft fixed it.

I sure hope MS is working with these organizations as that hospital still has some computers on XP and they use IE8. Not every app will work with the higher browser versions. This is borderline criminal for MS to not support it. What are they going to do, fix browser version that are on Win7 and above which mean IE10 or higher? Where does that leave the hospital who is using IE 8 or 9?

I know now why my little brother hates MS and uses Linux...

Rebel

Diamond Member
A LOT of companies still use it, particularly major corporations. Fortunately I'm in a smaller place now and can use Chrome. Last company worked for you couldn't even have multiple tabs in IE until about 2 years ago, they were running 2-3 versions behind on updating IE.

golfacct

Silver Member
The company I work for have several programs that are internet based work through IE. They have not said anything about it but I wonder if it will affect us.

Trixi

Double Platinum
As Rebel said, most large corporations still use IE. It truly is not an easy task to support a different browser. I've worked at only Fortune 200 companies (in IT) and with everyone of them, we were directed to develop to IE. All the testing, changes, etc. is a long, long process.