Hit and Run - Dog Euthenized

toycoma

At approximately 2:30 AM Saturday morning (07/25/15), my miniature Dachshund was hit by a car. The driver did NOT stop.
Upon finding my struck dog, he was slouched over the curb of Main St. and Dogwood St. and was barely breathing.
After quickly rushing him to a 24-hour emergency vet, his injuries proved fatal with a broken back and ribs.
My late Mother, whom I lost this last September, gave me this dog. He was only 9 and meant the world to me.
If you have any information concerning the driver or of this terrible accident, please PM me here.
I loved Biggin' with all my heart... He will be greatly missed...

View attachment 22851
A dog's prayer...

"Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this earth knowing that with the last breath that I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands...

I will always be your best friend."

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know it's heartbreaking.. my doxie - same thing in 2002; very sad, hope the driver is located who did this.

toycoma

With six blood relative deaths in my family recently, Biggin was no different, in my opinion.
Incredibly painful. He was my best friend and will never be forgotten.
Thank you all for your condolences. They are very much appreciated.

toycoma

A full month has passed since I lost my Dachshund to a hit-and-run driver. The pain of my loss is slowly subsiding, but I still have a tremendous amount of grief. I didn't expect the driver to be caught or step forward. People's genuine compassion and sincere condolences have been enough for me.
Once again, many thanks to all that have responded.

toycoma

My dog was hit directly under a working street light and was wearing a reflective collar. Some of his blood is still on the curb, as it hasn't rained yet. It was as if he tried to get out of the way or was thrown up on the curb when hit. The careless driver may have even swerved to hit him on purpose, or was intoxicated. One look at the scene, even now, and it's highly unlikely Biggin' was not seen before being hit.
I have beat myself up over what may of happened to the point of insanity.
It's time to let him go and move on...

toycoma

Apparently, member 'orchid' has quite a bit to say, especially in defense of the driver.
I know that I'm partially to blame for my animals death. No leash. I accept that.
Defending the driver in TWO different replies on this thread says something about you.
No "I'm sorry for your loss", like the others, and certainly no compassion for my dog.
Why don't you take your cold-hearted opinions and smartass remarks elsewhere?

sundae

Gold Member
Losing a beloved dog sucks, no matter the reason. And, in life, devastating things can happen to good people. :(

I'm not defending the driver at all, but it is entirely possible that the person behind the wheel could not avoid your dog. It's just terrible that both the driver and your dog were in that situation. It really is hard to say that this person intentionally hit your dog. You're going to drive yourself crazy if you think like that.

Apparently, member 'orchid' has quite a bit to say, especially in defense of the driver.
I know that I'm partially to blame for my animals death. No leash. I accept that.
Defending the driver in TWO different replies on this thread says something about you.
No "I'm sorry for your loss", like the others, and certainly no compassion for my dog.
Why don't you take your cold-hearted opinions and smartass remarks elsewhere?

orchid

I've been in the unfortunate position of having hit an animal with my car before. I just don't like the automatic assumption that the driver was 'careless' or 'intoxicated'.

toycoma

Member 'orchid' chimes in, yet again, this time to admit to hitting an animal with their car.
Did you STOP and actually help the animal afterwards?
You remember doing it, so what did you do about it?
Again, no remorse or sympathy from this member...
I make no assumptions of the driver that hit my dog.
I just know they did NOTHING to help him.

sundae

Gold Member
Member 'orchid' chimes in, yet again, this time to admit to hitting an animal with their car.
Ah, but you did make assumptions about the driver and you've done it all in bold face font~

The careless driver may have even swerved to hit him on purpose, or was intoxicated. One look at the scene, even now, and it's highly unlikely Biggin' was not seen before being hit.
I have beat myself up over what may of happened to the point of insanity.
It's time to let him go and move on...
Like I said in a previous post, it's a terrible thing to lose a beloved dog in this manner. What makes it worse is that the world isn't going to offer you the closure that you want and deserve. :(

orchid

I didn't do anything to help the animal, no. Not much you can do to help a creature that is dead.

toycoma

I didn't do anything to help the animal, no. Not much you can do to help a creature that is dead.
Member 'orchid' admits to hitting a defenseless animal and confirming it's dead by driving off.
Two other members thanked 'orchid' for this comment. My dog was still very much alive when I found him and was fighting for his life. What if the animal you hit had identification tags that provided the owner's contact information? You'd probably still drive off. Like, I said earlier, cold-hearted. Cruel and inconsiderate. What is wrong with you people? :slap:

sundae

Gold Member
Member 'orchid' admits to hitting a defenseless animal and confirming it's dead by driving off.
Two other members thanked 'orchid' for this comment. My dog was still very much alive when I found him and was fighting for his life. What if the animal you hit had identification tags that provided the owner's contact information? You'd probably still drive off. Like, I said earlier, cold-hearted. Cruel and inconsiderate. What is wrong with you people? :slap:
Member 'toycoma,' please stop making hateful assumptions about people whom you do not know. For all you know, the animal that the one poster admitted to unintentionally hitting was a bird or a squirrel. I'm fortunate enough that I have never had the experience of hitting any animal, but many people accidentally have and most aren't going to stop the car to check out that deceased bird.

As someone who has dogs that I treat like kids, I cannot imagine how painful this is. I know that you're hurting, but like I said in a previous post~ the world isn't going to give you your much deserved closure. I think that by coming back to this post, you're just re-opening the wound. :(