HELP! A/C dead and need advice

jimmil

My A/C is dead and has been pronounced as such. I have had several bids made and it has boiled down to two brands this area seems to have an abundance of, American Standard and Trane. Now I have seen a consumer page that had a lot of problems with Trane. Anyone out there have their central A/C unit replaced with a Trane and how has it been for reliability? If you want to comment on American Standard please feel free to do so. Thank you all!

Ray

After 11 years we replaced our HVAC system with a Trane we'd considered American Standard but felt Trane was the best choice. Told our contractor to look at our home as if it was in the original new build stage and redesign it completely. When he finished he said in winter we would feel as if we were in an envelope of warmth and in summer it worked perfectly in keeping us comfortably cool during July and August.

Since then 2 years ago we built a new home and installed a Trane 16 SEER HVAC system, the home has a 19' ceiling in the Family Room and Kitchen (open plan) the Trane HVAC works amazingly well year round. In fact, our utility bills are the same if not lower seasonally even though this home is 700 s.f. larger (one story). Just this week the owner of the HVAC company that did the replacement system in Frisco came to do our annual pre-summer A/C maintenance check and said the system was operating well within specs.

The (2) keys to a quality HVAC system installation is first find a quality, experienced and reliable contractor then choose your manufacturer.

Have a great day!

Ray

Last edited:
Aren't Trane and American Standard both owned by the same parent company, Ingersoll Rand?

You may find that other than paint and the badges put on the units that they are the same.

Walk your neighborhood and look for comparable units....ask to take a look at the outside unit to see if you can tell if their are any differences.

You could also ask Big Bear for the difference...I believe that he installs both.

Aren't Trane and American Standard both owned by the same parent company, Ingersoll Rand?

You may find that other than paint and the badges put on the units that they are the same.

Walk your neighborhood and look for comparable units....ask to take a look at the outside unit to see if you can tell if their are any differences.

You could also ask Big Bear for the difference...I believe that he installs both.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are made by the same company and just have a different name or paint color when they go out the door. This is becoming pretty standard in the appliance industry. It's like car batteries there is like one big company who make almost all batteries and they just put a different name on them when they go out the door.

Call Big Bear. He is very knowledgable in all of the brands and their reliability over the years. He's an honest guy who will give you great advice..

jimmil

I usually use Bear. As a matter of fact, they are the ones that pronounced my A/C dead. I asked them for a quote and they came in about $2K over several others local to the area. I will still use Bear of course. I just hope I don't need to. No offense Bear if you are reading this. Regardless, if anyone cares I used Classic Heating and Air in McKinney and got the American Standard 16 SEER.

Sumtingwong

I usually use Bear. As a matter of fact, they are the ones that pronounced my A/C dead. I asked them for a quote and they came in about $2K over several others local to the area. I will still use Bear of course. I just hope I don't need to. No offense Bear if you are reading this. Regardless, if anyone cares I used Classic Heating and Air in McKinney and got the American Standard 16 SEER.
2K is a chunk to save.

Thanks for the lead on another A/C company, It's great to have options.

BigBear

No problem at all!! I'm just glad you got it taken care of. One question, was the equipment that we quoted 2 stage by any chance? A $2k difference is usually what we see when you go from single stage to 2 stage.

On the American Standard vs. Trane, they are exactly the same equipment, assembled in the same exact factories, etc. We do not sell American Standard anymore due to their dealer support. We've seen a lot of leaky evaporator coils less than a year old, and have replaced about 3 condensing units with bad compressors and condensing coils that were less than 6 months old. This can happen with any manufacturer, but what I had a problem with was repairing a unit that the customers just paid for versus giving them a whole new unit. I don't know about you, but if I spend that much money and the unit craters out less than a year in, I would expect a new unit. We started seeing problems, so we found a second line to install. When I approached the supplier about getting a new unit for a specific customer, the response from the territory manager was "for committed partners I am more than willing to be creative." We weren't committed enough since we were doing a second brand. So I bought a different brand condenser and installed it for the customer at no charge. We've had to do this 3 times with the American Standard units. The people I am "committed" to are my customers.

Just for everyone, please make sure you are hiring good contractors. If you live in Frisco, you cannot have a non registered contractor do an install in your house. What that means is the contractor has to go to the city every year, pay a fee, show proof of insurance and pull a permit for the installation. You can go to the Frisco website and look up the contractors before you hire them. If the contractor is not registered, it makes you wonder what else they are cutting corners on.

BigBear

I don't know if this is still true but it used to be that Goodman, Rheem, Lennox, Trane and some of the other manufacturers would not honor warranty for units bought online. I would check with the manufacturer before buying something online. I know that when I buy equipment from the manufacturers, that unit is assigned to me until the homeowner registers it. At that time the manufacturer looks at the installation address and starts the warranty. Just check with the manufacturer first please. The last thing you want is to save $ on the initial price and find out you do not have a warranty on the unit.

Mom+4

Silver Member
What's the going rate for a 3Ton unit (both inside and outside, gas heat). Had to had pan replaced (and ceiling) and called someone recommended on FB. Not fun getting home from hospital after surgery and ceiling caving in on your bed. Fun times...between recovering from surgery and the hubs heart condition...AC is a must and we couldn't wait of course. Plus that water....

I digress. Got a quote from them and nearly died - over 6K. Need duct work replaced (older home) total was 8K.

jimmil

I still highly recommend Big Bear for your HVAC needs. It was just in this case another came in low enough for me to choose them. I will still use Bear as they are very reasonable on their rates and they are there in a timely manner. Their people are friendly, will take the time to talk with you, and they are very clean leaving nothing in the house for me to pick up. For me I would never call anyone else.

Oh, just as an FYI, there is a business that uses some questionable practices. The salesman comes to your home, does the assessment, and pitches his product. That is fine, he is doing his job. He even emails you an article and reports about the product (it was also American Standard) and how bad everyone else was. I did some on line investigation and found the site where the "data" came from and it was a paid site that put up a lot of garbage about other brands and made to look as a consumer report site. It made me drop that business if they were going to use lies to back their product (although the product is highly rated) and the salesman tried to put one over on me. I would pay more not to get involved with a company like that.

What kind of quotes are you guys getting for a 16 seer 3.5 or 4 ton complete unit installed around here? I've seen anywhere from $4700 (Rheem) to 7K from some of the "preferred" vendors on here.

Last edited: