Have you gotten rid of your land line?

I still have my land line. I work from home and as an example, I have 10 calls today so I cannot keep a cell battery up and running that long. I would love to be able to use VOIP but haven't really looked. I don't know that it would eliminate enough cost to be worth the quality of the land line.

SixDegrees

Diamond Member
Last year during the ice storms, my sister-in-law lost electricity for 5 days. Her cell phone was useless but her land line allowed her to call and let us know she and the dogs were OK. For that reason, I still have a land line. You just never know when you will have a black out or a battery malfunction.
We'll always have a land line, even if it is just the basic with no features, and we'll also always have one phone that is not powered by battery for emergency purposes. My wife was working in Washington DC during 9/11, and as they were evacuating no cell phones worked for a long time. She was lucky enough to get to a land line so she could let everyone know she was fine. Emergency situations make the small cost of a land line worth it IMO.
That's why I have a backup phone battery and one of these. It's a portable mobile charger. Runs off AA batteries and can completely charge a cellphone. I always have a pack of AA batteries on hand. I also take this with me on trips - especially with the motorcycle - because you never know when you will need to charge the phone and not have access to an outlet. I have this one - but there are others on the market as well.

HSU2000

Silver Member
We will always have a land line. No matter what. Mainly for emergency purposes only though. It's a safety net that you'll wish you had whenever emergency service is required and your cell phone is dead. We also have an old school corded phone because cordless phones obviously need power to operate. Anyway...that's my two cents and I'm sticking to it! :)

PS...when my son was 17 months old he dialed 911 and hung up. Purely by accident. I found out when a police officer was pounding on my front door. Whoops!

zubie75082

Silver Member
Haven't had one for the past 7 years, never missed it.

I too was a bit worried given any 911 calls, but I think technology is catching up and is much better than what it used to be.

On another note, I literally had to explain to two of my students last year how a land line phone worked since it didn't have a SIM card. CRAZY!

JillyMac

Silver Member
Mobile Charger

Ohhhh-great present idea!! Sorry to take off track, but who else out there has a portable mobile charge that they like that runs off of batteries. I looked up the one pictured above and there were some negative comments-gets warm, cheap and plasticy, etc. I'd like to get a nice one for someone-anyone else have any recs? thanks so much for the idea, SixDegrees!!!

justnikki

I need to have some kind of landline. In 2008 we bought an Ooma VOIP. It was $200, no monthly fee after that.
But technically if there was no power the VOIP is useless.
However the thought of talking only on a cell phone drives me nuts. Cell phones drop calls, reception can be awful and I am slightly hearing impaired.
I need a clear connection.

angelaN

Platinum Member
We also have Voip because we call Canada a lot and that is most certainly not affordable with our cells. If it was not for that we would go with just our cell phones.

Land Line

I need to have some kind of landline. In 2008 we bought an Ooma VOIP. It was $200, no monthly fee after that.
However the thought of talking only on a cell phone drives me nuts. Cell phones drop calls, reception can be awful and I am slightly hearing impaired.
I feel the same way. I use an older model cell phone so maybe the newer ones are different but I really like my land line calls. I can hear so much better and like you said there are no drops or interference.

I say that, but I still would like to save that money. I wonder what the cheapest way to keep the land line. I only know the ATT price and we all know that isn't very good.

vesperka

+1 for Ooma. If I ever have long calls my cell phone gets too hot and is uncomfortable. Ooma can also simultaneously ring your cell phone, so if people call the "home" number you can answer it while away. I also love how my Ooma VMs are sent to me via email.

rdg

+1 for Ooma. If I ever have long calls my cell phone gets too hot and is uncomfortable. Ooma can also simultaneously ring your cell phone, so if people call the "home" number you can answer it while away. I also love how my Ooma VMs are sent to me via email.
+2 for Ooma. Up front cost about $200. I have seen refurbished first generation ones at Fry's on sale for $99 from time to time. They will charge a monthly fee of about $3.50. To me, this is the best VOIP option.

Yes, and I'm insecure about it. I would never do it if I had children at home. They need to know where the
phone is located incase of an emergency...If they have a cell phone this is great but in a panic and trying to find it in someone's pocket or sofa is not a good plan

We never got a land line with the house, we considered it a waste of money since both of us have cell phones. The reception in our house is fairly good. And if it is ever not great, Skype or gmail's phone works well.