Have you ever converted anyone?

Very true - I am no where close to seeing it as supernatural. I have always felt that it was based on getting rid of cognitive dissonance and enabling good action. Your attribution of it to curiosity and problem solving is very interesting. I need to chew on that.
Well, we observe those attributes in children and on up into adulthood. Some people are naturally drawn to wanting to understand how things work and ultimately go into fields like medicine, engineering, mathematics, etc. They naturally just "get it" - I'm sure we all know people from our collegiate days that just seemed to "get it" with ease.

Some people may be curious, but not have the skillset to make a career of it - and not to say there's anything wrong with them; they still seek to learn and understand. They just fall short of coming up with answers themselves and rely on the prior. But they can still understand the answer when they see it.

Then there are people who want to be like the first group but struggle to even make membership in the second. They need substitutes the first and 2nd do not require.

I'm sure folks could list out some more buckets until we ultimately get to the "I don't know how you even manage to get out of be in the morning" group. :)

LOTRfan

Double Platinum
Well, we observe those attributes in children and on up into adulthood. Some people are naturally drawn to wanting to understand how things work and ultimately go into fields like medicine, engineering, mathematics, etc. They naturally just "get it" - I'm sure we all know people from our collegiate days that just seemed to "get it" with ease.

Some people may be curious, but not have the skillset to make a career of it - and not to say there's anything wrong with them; they still seek to learn and understand. They just fall short of coming up with answers themselves and rely on the prior. But they can still understand the answer when they see it.

Then there are people who want to be like the first group but struggle to even make membership in the second. They need substitutes the first and 2nd do not require.

I'm sure folks could list out some more buckets until we ultimately get to the "I don't know how you even manage to get out of be in the morning" group. :)

Well if your referring to someone who gets it -- then I suppose that is what is referred as the veil being lifted.

I am in the field of math and computer science. I come a long line of doctors in my family. I would have to say that I was once a doubter then events that happened completely changed my thinking and I no longer questioned because I knew it to be.

So you can say my way of thinking couldn't be .... but how do you know?

I can't prove to you what I experienced but I know it happened.

DK2445

Bronze Member
In Judaism we do not proselytize. In fact, when someone is in the process of converting to Judaism, the Rabbi is required to try to talk them out of it 3 times.

In Judaism we do not proselytize. In fact, when someone is in the process of converting to Judaism, the Rabbi is required to try to talk them out of it 3 times.
Back in the 80's I remember hearing the opposite, but I don't have a clue where. A few months ago I met Rabbi Yogi at an interfaith event. During his talk, he said just what you are saying. He said (roughly) it's hard to be a Jew and that you're better off trying to be a good gentile.