Haunting 9/11

debw712

Diamond Member
Today is the ELEVENTH anniversary of it but for whatever reason it feels more raw this year than prior years. I am wondering if it is because it is also a Tuesday, the weather this morning HERE was identical to that morning, and back in NJ the weather today is very similar to that day.

The day did begin as one of the prettiest fall days I can recall.

Anyway, for some reason this year, so many years after the fact, I am reminiscing more than normal, and feeling the loss and sadness of the day more than in years past.

Is anyone else getting that vibe?

I think it is the day of the week and the similarity in weather that is getting to me.

Maybe it is the lack of flags, the lack of acknowledgement and the support of groups we weren't supporting in that day and shortly thereafter.

At any rate- hope everyone is thinking of the many people who were effected by that tragedy. Not only the ones who died and the families of them but of all the first responders, the numerous people who are suffering lung cancer and breathing issues (9/11 Lung etc...) and the people who SAW the carnage up front and center and have issues recovering from it.

Still does not feel "closed"

penguin

Diamond Member
Excerpt from an article by Art Cashin, posted on ZeroHedge.com this morning:

"A More Personal Thought – Many of us got out that Tuesday walking through streets onto which ash, smoke and business envelopes fell snow-like, blocking both your view and your breathing. Yet when a stranger was met, they were invited to join the convoy and offered a spare wet cloth (carried in pockets) through which to breath as they walked. When we reached the East River (Brooklyn side of Manhattan), there was a volunteer group of tugboats, fishing boats and mini-ferries that looked like the evacuation of Dunkirk. No charge. No money. Just – "May I help you!" No one got anyone's name. No thank you cards will be sent. But Americans – even New York Americans – who freely give to strangers but argue with neighbors were suddenly one group.

In the days since, as we wander via new strange ways back to Wall Street, we all internalize the survivor’s quandary. We are lucky to be alive – but why us.

As I noted on TV – none of us headed back to re-open the markets with relish or avarice. The President, the Governor, the Mayor and all officials asked that the markets re-open to provide a means for the economy to work – to unclog an artery.

Day after day, traders, clerks and the thousands of folks who support them walked to work. No spring in their step. Resolute to do their job, they are civil but somber. As they pass checkpoints, they say "thank you" to the policemen, firemen, and National Guardsmen who may have lost brothers saving us and some of our friends.

Ironically, the only smiles you see in Wall Street are on the photocopied photos of the missing that family and friends have taped to walls, mailboxes and lampposts. It may take a long time for smiles to naturally return to Wall Street. It may take a long while to find those criminals who took our smiles and our friends. But, we will have patience.

As our President said – "We will not tire. We will not falter. We will not fail!"

demvet

Bronze Member
11 years ago someone lost a Husband, a friend and a Father. Jimmy O'Brien from Park Slope, Brooklyn talked funny and could out drink me! He is one of the reasons I kiss my kids everyday.... Because he can't! If you wake up tomorrow feeling sorry for yourself or if you take it for granted. Remember there was a guy who didn't make it home on a Tuesday night to walk his dog and kiss his family.... OB, make sure the beer is cold and Jesus is in a cool mood the day I come to see you! I miss you, buddy. More than you know.

http://names.911memorial.org/#lang=en_US&page=person&id=719

cowlady

Silver Member
I felt the same way yesterday. I could not get over the sky. It was so blue and clear, almost haunting somewhat. I think was did it for me was the fact that hubby was at the same place yesterday and he was 11 years ago. He was in downtown Dallas, we were back in Georgia. He did not make it home that week until Friday and then only after his company rented a limo, the only thing available to rent because all the rental cars were gone, and had all the employees who were from the southeast region driven back to Atlanta. He had only packed business clothes as most people had, so someone went to Sports Authority and bought t-shirts and shorts for them so they weren't in dress clothes all week. We still have those shorts and t-shirt, they are known as his 9/11 clothes.

I just remember how quiet the day got. We lived just north of Atlanta on that day, in the flight path of Hartsfield and a few hundred yard from a train track. No planes, no trains. My youngest was born in November of that year and last night he had lots of questions as we watched the History Channel.

Last edited:

Geck

Platinum Member
11 years ago someone lost a Husband, a friend and a Father. Jimmy O'Brien from Park Slope, Brooklyn talked funny and could out drink me! He is one of the reasons I kiss my kids everyday.... Because he can't! If you wake up tomorrow feeling sorry for yourself or if you take it for granted. Remember there was a guy who didn't make it home on a Tuesday night to walk his dog and kiss his family.... OB, make sure the beer is cold and Jesus is in a cool mood the day I come to see you! I miss you, buddy. More than you know.

http://names.911memorial.org/#lang=en_US&page=person&id=719

Thanks for posting this. I grew up blocks from Park Slope. Having known people who lost their lives that day and personally having had a ticket on a plane to fly to NYC that day it will always be a somber reminder of what was lost. Our innocence as a country, the fact that we could never go back and that things would be forever changed. Thanks for putting a face to a name and a story behind it. Here's to making sure we never forget what an incredible country we live in and more so the incredible people that inhabit this great land of ours.