Good news for State Farm policyholders

In a long-awaited win for consumers, State Farm Insurance agreed Friday to refund $352.5 million in excessive premiums to its Texas customers to settle a nearly 12-year-old legal battle over the company’s homeowner rates.
Refunds for long-time customers are projected to range between $200 and $300. An estimated 1.2 million Texas homeowners are expected to receive refunds in the case.
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....llion-in-overcharges-to-texas-customers.html/

"She said actual refund amounts will be determined over the next few months and policyholders will be mailed refund checks over an 18-month period."

Did I get 18 months to pay my premiun?

pearceg

Diamond Member
Refunds for long-time customers are projected to range between $200 and $300.
I guess that beats the typical class action settlement where the lawyers get $250,000,000 and the people who actually sustained the losses get a 30 cent credit on their next purchase from that business.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
I disagree with that.. iv been with them for years.. and all this month I shopped around looking at rates.. and they were pretty much all about the same.. some were way higher..

TNVol

Silver Member
I disagree with that.. iv been with them for years.. and all this month I shopped around looking at rates.. and they were pretty much all about the same.. some were way higher..
I am with you Toolie. I have been with SF since 1988 and I tried shopping my rates for everything last month.
I could save a few bucks this year but once the "New Customer Rate" went away I would pay more.

Not worth the change.

Did anyone get their refund check from State Farm yet? A friend of mine got hers last week so I called my agent and was told the checks started going out in September and will continue being sent through the end of the year. He referred me to http://statefarm.com/texasratesettlement

I am expecting between $300-$700 according to my agent. Sure could use that right about now...

AGH

Gold Member
State Farm is an absolute ripoff. Their premiums are not even close to the competition.
Completely disagree with that. I've been with them for 35 years and with 5 kids now driving and having accidents, I would have been cancelled by any other company. They have never hesitated to handle my claims timely and completely to my satisfaction.

I got my $400 check week before last.

We dropped State Farm after 30+ years after being completely disappointed and dissatisfied with how they handled our hailstorm/roof fiasco. We consolidated our home insurance with our car insurance company and saved a lot of money. I still got a nice refund from SF which is icing on the cake.

hockeymom

Diamond Member
We got ours last week....$648! Was a total surprise to us as we hadn't heard about the ruling & switched insurance co's a year or so ago.