Gander Mountain

Kooter

Bronze Member
I bought a pistol at GM about 2 years ago and saved almost $150 over local gun retailers prices. Plus it was the only place I found lots of .22LR. I welcome them building in Frisco.

J.R.

Gold Member
The one in Sherman is pretty much useless to me. I stop in when I'm over there and have yet to buy anything, the Academy smokes them. The Mesquite Gander Mountain is pretty much a huge gunshop rather than a hunting/fishing store.

GRIZZLYMAN

Triple Platinum
The one in Sherman is pretty much useless to me. I stop in when I'm over there and have yet to buy anything, the Academy smokes them. The Mesquite Gander Mountain is pretty much a huge gunshop rather than a hunting/fishing store.
I had heard a lot of complaints about the one in Sherman on several hunting forums. I have never been in a GM. With an Academy a mile from my house I have little need to go any further. I will occasionally go to BPS or Cabelas if I'm near one. Walmart, Dick's, and Sport's Authority aren't worth my time.

J.R.

Gold Member
I honestly can't see how the one in Sherman stays open. I've picked up some stands dirt cheap at Dick's on clearance but that's about it and also won't waste my time with sports authority, wal mart is better than they are. I wish Sportsmans Warehouse would come back but a better location, I loved their original store right down the road from me in Utah. They always seemed to have what I wanted. I used to pick up some great deals in the FW Cabela's bargain cave but not so anymore.

GRIZZLYMAN

Triple Platinum
I honestly can't see how the one in Sherman stays open. I've picked up some stands dirt cheap at Dick's on clearance but that's about it and also won't waste my time with sports authority, wal mart is better than they are. I wish Sportsmans Warehouse would come back but a better location, I loved their original store right down the road from me in Utah. They always seemed to have what I wanted. I used to pick up some great deals in the FW Cabela's bargain cave but not so anymore.
I liked the Sportman's Warehouse in Lewisville. When I worked in Lewisville I would go there a lot. Pricey but good selection. Bought a lot there when they were going out of business.

OKTX

Triple Platinum
Sherman store is a dump. I would expect them to either close it or move to a new location. Ganders approach is toward the value sector of the market. Between wally world, Academy and Cabelas. I would keep a close eye on them becoming more competitive in pricing. They're certainly on an aggressive store opening binge. On a recent trip to NM I did stop in at the Gander Mountain in Amarillo. Place was hopping and it was a Thursday afternoon. Selection on everything was great. Picked up some hard to find ammo at very competitive prices.

Cabelas is beginning to lose me on so many fronts. The Allen store is poorly staffed and selection of products on the sales floor is just weird as compared to the catalog. Its always dead when I go in there. Haven't been to Ft. Worth lately.

I do wish Sportsmans Warehouse would open back up, but doubt it will happen. They seem to be aiming more toward Western US markets.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
Only one I have been in was the brand new one in Arlington. Huge selection of guns new and used. I just price compared 1 pistol, but it was the same as Acamedy. They had a lot more choices of magazines, holsters, etc than Academy.
Their chairs and clothes seemed a bit more high end than Academy, but fewer choices. Regardless, it will be good to have added competition.

J.R.

Gold Member
Sherman store is a dump. I would expect them to either close it or move to a new location. Ganders approach is toward the value sector of the market. Between wally world, Academy and Cabelas. I would keep a close eye on them becoming more competitive in pricing. They're certainly on an aggressive store opening binge. On a recent trip to NM I did stop in at the Gander Mountain in Amarillo. Place was hopping and it was a Thursday afternoon. Selection on everything was great. Picked up some hard to find ammo at very competitive prices.

Cabelas is beginning to lose me on so many fronts. The Allen store is poorly staffed and selection of products on the sales floor is just weird as compared to the catalog. Its always dead when I go in there. Haven't been to Ft. Worth lately.

I do wish Sportsmans Warehouse would open back up, but doubt it will happen. They seem to be aiming more toward Western US markets.

Cabela's Ft. Worth is not what it was by any stretch. Just like the Allen store they want you to order on kiosk or they will order, heck I can do that from home !! I did find lightweight camo bibs there though, but only 1 style/camo in store and were $55 but I needed them.

GRIZZLYMAN

Triple Platinum
Yeah, I can find better deals online than I can at any of the brick and mortar stores. With free shipping and return at most places it just doesn't make sense to go very far to shop.

canam

Bronze Member
The Gander mountain in Lewisville was the only place that had the camo Benelli Super Nova I was looking for after calling all the Cabelas and Academy's around the DFW area. They were the same price as all brick and mortars and had an awesome selection. The check out process was very easy and they gave me I think a 10 or 15% discount on any shooting accessories. They also had bulk ammo in the back for folks that purchased guns and let me buy some 9mm ammo which was short at the time. Great gun buying experience with the.

Geck

Platinum Member
I have bought a lot of.22lR from Academy in the last year.

i'm usually in there once a week and have seen no 22R ammo. guess it's just how you hit it. 9mm and 45 auto is no problem these days.

It's a shame. I'd love to be able to shoot my Ruger SR22 but it seems like every round you fire can't be replaced. At least at a reasonable price. I just can't bring myself to spend $50-$60 for a brick of 22LR.