Frisco Online / Lifestyle Frisco Merger

vsellis

Scott Ellis
Staff member
Several members have been banned for excessive offensive language, obvious racism/hate, etc... Nishi is getting close. While the decision is a little subjective, some have clearly crossed the line, while others tread very close to it.

If someone is perpetually a problem, please report them, it helps us to monitor.

Also know we're considering the removal of the National Politics forum since it really has no bearing on what Frisco is about and all the vitriol reflects poorly on the city.

While we didn't want to remove that forum in the beginning, it's starting to become clear that it might make more sense to do so. It's not worth our time to babysit everyone that can treat each other with a modicum of respect.

More soon as a decision is made.

Several members have been banned for excessive offensive language, obvious racism/hate, etc... Nishi is getting close. While the decision is a little subjective, some have clearly crossed the line, while others tread very close to it.

If someone is perpetually a problem, please report them, it helps us to monitor.

Also know we're considering the removal of the National Politics forum since it really has no bearing on what Frisco is about and all the vitriol reflects poorly on the city.

While we didn't want to remove that forum in the beginning, it's starting to become clear that it might make more sense to do so. It's not worth our time to babysit everyone that can treat each other with a modicum of respect.

More soon as a decision is made.
Vsellis,

Thank you for considering that. While I am all for open communication, this site is associated with Frisco, and I think your assessment is correct.
While it is just one section and mostly the same people "yelling" the loudest, it does reflect poorly. I say this regardless of what position anyone is taking.

As you see, I have been on FOL Forums for 15 years now. At the beginning when the Politics forum was getting going, there was a ton of civil discourse. Sure, moderators had to bring the hammer now and then, but it ran pretty smoothly.
Somewhere along the line, we lost consistent moderation, and in chatting with Jeff a very long time ago, they were getting tired of babysitting as well.

There are two national sites of which I help run. A musician centric site, and a automobile centric site. On both, one of the big TOS is no politics talk. Not that we don't value free speech, but it just keeps the boards free of vitriol and controversy. We all know political opinions can be all over the place, especially on a musician's website. Most of us who have been a part of it for 15 to 17 years, and we all know each other pretty well now, and where we all stand on issues. Our TOS has kept things great and friendly. Best move we ever made.

Anyway, just my $.02

Sadly, without the politics section the FOL traffic drops to near zero.

Unfortunately FOL has lost critical mass. It has been superseded by Facebook, Nextdoor and a host of other sites filling in for the need for neighborhood forums. Frisco has grown from a rural community to a exaburb community that no longer struggles with the mind bending issues of who to call for garage door problems, whether Frisco Coons is racist, when will the DNT construction be complete or will Barbwire and Roses dog ever be found?? It jumped the shark.

In some ways, the extremist political viewpoints in politics reminded us that these people still exist. However, given the desire to change FOL into a "lifestyle" ("Some might say Frisco is lack of lifestyle") brand I question the need for any of the forums. In the old days FOL was your source of an instant answer to pressing questions posed by the FLOOD of new arrivals into the city. While Frisco continues to attract new residents, FOL is no longer the go to bookmark for residents.

Rimrock

Double Platinum
So the new owners just want to put out marketing pablum that serves their and their partner's business interests. That's cool. I mean we all need to make a buck...and its their ball. But as the guy that used to live here noted this site will fade away without the politics traffic. As he noted maybe FOL already is dead.

Last edited:

vsellis

Scott Ellis
Staff member
So the new owners just want to put out marketing pablum that server their and their partner's business interests. That's cool. I mean we all need to make a buck...and its their ball. But as the guy that used to live here noted this site will fade away without the politics traffic. As he noted maybe FOL already is dead.
David, While I appreciate the feedback, the forum is not the majority of traffic on the site. And we publish a LOT of content that is not marketing. In fact, the majority is not.

Some of it is, and yes, like any business we need revenue but we continue to pour more into this, financially and otherwise, than comes back at us.

Our first focus is telling the story of Frisco, which includes the businesses in the area. Unfortunately, the Politics forum doesn't really align with that mission and the behavior on it doesn't really paint Frisco in a positive light.

Lifestyle Frisco was on a growth trajectory before the merger with FOL, and will continue to do so no matter what happens to that particular forum.

We hope you'll continue to be a part of it no matter what happens with that specific forum. And there are plenty of places online for people to have less-than-civil discourse.

binz

Platinum Member
Our first focus is telling the story of Frisco, which includes the businesses in the area. Unfortunately, the Politics forum doesn't really align with that mission and the behavior on it doesn't really paint Frisco in a positive light.
And there are plenty of places online for people to have less-than-civil discourse.
Terrible strategy. I give the new platform 12 months tops.

Chris1771

Silver Member
Terrible strategy. I give the new platform 12 months tops.
What do you know? LifeStyleFrisco has been around awhile. They are all over Facebook and Twitter, and regularly share relevant stories and events going on in Frisco. I will visit for those reasons even when the politics forum disappears.

Rimrock

Double Platinum
David, While I appreciate the feedback, the forum is not the majority of traffic on the site. And we publish a LOT of content that is not marketing. In fact, the majority is not.

Some of it is, and yes, like any business we need revenue but we continue to pour more into this, financially and otherwise, than comes back at us.

Lifestyle Frisco was on a growth trajectory before the merger with FOL, and will continue to do so no matter what happens to that particular forum.

We hope you'll continue to be a part of it no matter what happens with that specific forum. And there are plenty of places online for people to have less-than-civil discourse.
While my tone was a little harsh and I don't agree with what sounds like a already made decision, I do wish you guys the best.

kenny6

Gold Member
Not sure why they bought FOL in the first place. It died a few years ago after previous owners made the crappy software update. It was already going down but that was pretty much the last nail.

binz

Platinum Member
Not sure why they bought FOL in the first place. It died a few years ago after previous owners made the crappy software update. It was already going down but that was pretty much the last nail.
I'd be shocked if they paid more than $10k for the site.

FCS Wes

Silver Member
Well, I have to admit that the politics section has been far more civil since the removal of the aforementioned person. I have not seen any name calls or any personal tax sense and for this reason I would say the justification for closing it or shutting it down is no longer valid.

Had there been more moderation early on, it wouldn't have gotten to this point although I do understand the babysitting reference but the point is many people have complained about the same people and many members have left because of the same people.

It is just now back to where it is more or less civil and there is little to no name-calling or personal attacks and now the decision is being made to shut it down?

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
As they say all good things must pass. I understand the company has to do what it feels is best for the company, I'm guessing forum's don't pay the bills any longer.

Its hard to believe I have been on here for over 6 years now, time goes by quickly when you're having fun.

I'll miss all of the people here. When will the forums close, will there be a notice or just no more link?

eyeamdaman1

Platinum Member
I mean if you really want to keep political talk going, just bring it up in the Talk About Town section of the forum.

I will say, as bad as whatsthat was, I question how he could go before someone like Nishi. Whatsthat was very subtle while nishi just flat out broadcast his racism.

Nishi does all that and gets a "getting close" admonition. Go figure!

LOTRfan

Double Platinum
well -- I haven't contributed much lately because it had gotten out of hand with no moderators but if the politics go -- I will too -- it was the only thing of interest to me on this forum. Over the years -- I learned a lot from many contributors -- some even changed my mind on things. :(

MacFrisco

Diamond Member
I mean if you really want to keep political talk going, just bring it up in the Talk About Town section of the forum.

I will say, as bad as whatsthat was, I question how he could go before someone like Nishi. Whatsthat was very subtle while nishi just flat out broadcast his racism.

Nishi does all that and gets a "getting close" admonition. Go figure!
I think people should have used the old block posters system and block posters they didn't want to see. I have a gut level feeling about freedom of speech and moderators of speech, because its all so subjective. Of course this is a company's website and moderator's can cost money and time and unlike a soap box in town square, they are trying to make a buck too.

I don't want to blame anyone for the forums closing. The decision is that the forum is not worth keeping for the owners of Lifestyle Frisco, its just business not personal. IMO