Frisco Online / Lifestyle Frisco Merger

Seritos

Double Platinum
Not sure how to get back to where this forum was. Back when I joined, forums like this were the social media option. Many of us used it heavily, because it was simply fun, informative and most people were very nice. The main controversy at that time was the political split for local politics, based on the direction that Frisco was going. There were some fairly hot debates over beer, wine & alcohol introduction into Frisco; whether a Hooters should be allowed in Frisco; what apartment zoning and lot size should be for master planning, etc. Lots of passion, but we really did a lot of self-policing back then, with occasional moderator enforcement. Plus, the mayer and council members participated, and the local news stations also watched for newsworthy items.

Unfortunately, politics gave us a black eye; the new forum for national politics during Bush and the entry into the war(s) really started getting out of control, and then completely blew up for the first Obama election. Plus, we gained several self-important "personalities" that gained a following, and any post that didn't fit their own personal agenda drew their ire, along with their "pack". We also gained a number of anonymous trolls that attacked the local politicians, and ran amok in the national politics forum. And, the in-fighting became so bad that members started being kicked and/or leaving. At that point, other social media options were becoming available, including another local forum, and many of the casual users or disgruntled active members started leaving, which greatly diluted the viability of the forum.

To regain this viability, you'll definitely need some sort of draw. Frisco is much, much larger now, and the many social media options now limit how much time people will spend on here. You'll have to control the vitriol from members, reduce the hate/racist postings so they don't discourage members from participating, and get the right people involved so that old members are drawn back, as well as finding new members to come in. It will take some marketing/advertising for whatever the draw is.

I'm not sure what the magic sauce is for you now, so all I can say is "Good luck!!"

vsellis

Scott Ellis
Staff member
@Seritos thank you for the thoughtful response. I agree, there is a LOT of work to be done and social media channels like Facebook have really taken the place of forms. Yet we believe there is till value here and will be doing a lot in the coming weeks and months to cultivate that. But we're under no delusion, there is a lot of work to be done.

We're also focused on limiting the negativity. We really don't want to censor anyone but would like to see the tone of the forums positive and locally focused. More to come...

vsellis

Scott Ellis
Staff member
I know this is a small thing but can we get the time of the postings fixed. I am never up at 3am posting on a website. :)
@golfacct - I see the times correctly. But let me look into it and see if I can figure out why you are not. If anyone else is experiencing this, please chime in so we can troubleshoot.

I did confirm the timezone setting in the backend is set to Central Time US.

@Seritos thank you for the thoughtful response. I agree, there is a LOT of work to be done and social media channels like Facebook have really taken the place of forms. Yet we believe there is till value here and will be doing a lot in the coming weeks and months to cultivate that. But we're under no delusion, there is a lot of work to be done.

We're also focused on limiting the negativity. We really don't want to censor anyone but would like to see the tone of the forums positive and locally focused. More to come...
I know that a lot of people have turned to Nextdoor. Personally I don't think it is the same. Nextdoor is more of a on-line garage sale then a forum for good discussion. I love FOL and am looking forward to getting it back to how it was. I am hoping some of the old favorites came back too!!

@golfacct - I see the times correctly. But let me look into it and see if I can figure out why you are not. If anyone else is experiencing this, please chime in so we can troubleshoot.

After the merger, I noticed mine were off as well. As I was going through my profile and preferences I noticed the time zone settings had moved. Once I set it back to our time zone all displayed correctly. Something to check if you haven't already.

FCS Wes

Silver Member
Wow, so the merger was a ruse to take down the only forum that had any traffic... the Politics forum...

It was bad on the old FOL for a while without moderation but taking it down completly is just sad... Its about the only traffic this sight had...
A better job at moderating would have likely prevented it from getting out of hand in the 1st place

planomateo

Platinum Member
From a UI perspective, perhaps changing the Alerts font colors to make it easier to read? The red for some reason is really hard to read on top of the grey background. If this isn't the right place to mention, please direct me to the proper location.

1516976382915.png

Wow, so the merger was a ruse to take down the only forum that had any traffic... the Politics forum...

It was bad on the old FOL for a while without moderation but taking it down completly is just sad... Its about the only traffic this sight had...
Not sure where you were looking but I see it under Nation and Politics. But I would not know much about that area since I stay away from those cat fights. :0

Sax Maniac

Silver Member
well, I'm a little behind....lol. Did my "apparently not frequent enough" check on FOL and my bookmark didn't work. A little Google-Fu and I ended up here. A few minutes skimming links and I think I am looking forward to spending a little time here....hope the new "vision" works out....looks good so far!

whatsthat

Diamond Member

Yes.....the times I am seeing are way off.....but not a big deal for me

We appear to have a member (whatsthat) that was banned as of Tuesday.

I'm not interested in making a public spectacle of it, but I do feel like it's helpful for administrators on boards such as this to make a note of the action taken along with a brief explanation so that other members understand what happened. This helps people know what rules are being enforced and how strictly.

This is especially true when it happens to a long time member of the board.

Obviously you'll have your own opinion on whether or not a public disclosure is merited, that's just my two cents.

Invader

Silver Member

I'm not interested in making a public spectacle of it, but I do feel like it's helpful for administrators on boards such as this to make a note of the action taken along with a brief explanation so that other members understand what happened. This helps people know what rules are being enforced and how strictly.

Obviously you'll have your own opinion on whether or not a public disclosure is merited, that's just my two cents.
That is good news, hopefully there will be more to come soon.

Rimrock

Double Platinum

Please take note Mods - Wedge and I don't agree on anything in the Politics forum but these points are good ones.

Last edited: