Frisco HOA fines residents who park in driveway instead of garage

Frisco HOA fines residents up to $500 for parking in their driveway instead of garage:

Residents in one upscale neighborhood of Frisco are finding they can’t park their cars in their own driveways thanks to stepped-up enforcement of homeowners association rules.
Having too much stuff stored in one’s garage is not a valid excuse, says the association.
Residents also are being given a grace period to clean out their garages, if necessary, to make room for their cars.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...-in-their-own-driveways-instead-of-garage.ece

Wow! I think the residents of this neighborhood need to revise their HOA rules !! I'm not against HOA's in general but obviously this one has gone too far. I thought new laws were passed (here in Texas) to curb HOA's power?

andygump

Platinum Member
So if a resident puts all their garage stuff on the driveway and covers it with a tarp (biggest, ugliest they can find) and parks the car in the garage, will
that work?

So how do they know how many cars you have?

Insane rule to say the least. Does not surprise me for snotty, stuck up Frisco. Is this same neighborhood that would not allow pick up trucks in driveway a few years back ?

EscapeRocks

Triple Platinum

Insane rule to say the least. Does not surprise me for snotty, stuck up Frisco. Is this same neighborhood that would not allow pick up trucks in driveway a few years back ?
I thought it was a different one, but maybe it is.

The worst part of that no pickup rule, was that is wasn't a blanket no pickup rule. It actually specified makes and models you could not park in your own driveway. i.e., you could have a Lincoln Mark LT, but not a Ford F 150, as an example.

Pure classism at it's best.

boiler01

Silver Member

If it is a gated community then you have to register your vehicles with the HOA. When we lived in Frisco we had to list our cars and drivers. When they switched from the clicker for the front gate to the Toll Tag it was even more specific since it was tied to the tag and you couldn't just 'loan' a clicker out.

mcBerg

Platinum Member
Few ideas here...but if I was an HOA it may be reasonable to at most have 1 vehicle in the public street and all the rest of your vehicles in your garage or personal driveway which gives you a good 3-4 cars. Keep the public streets from being clogged up from THOSe types that think they can run a business or extra crap out of their home and screw everyone else in the neighborhood.

Few ideas here...but if I was an HOA it may be reasonable to at most have 1 vehicle in the public street and all the rest of your vehicles in your garage or personal driveway which gives you a good 3-4 cars. Keep the public streets from being clogged up from THOSe types that think they can run a business or extra crap out of their home and screw everyone else in the neighborhood.

HA! i feel you on this.. i have a neighbor with a limo business!!

Sounds extreme to me to make people park in the garage and not in the driveway, but we don't have that rule in our community.

It all comes down to the Declaration that you agreed to when you purchased your house. If it's not in the Declaration, then the Management company and Board of Directors shouldn't be coming up with rules that you didn't sign up to. That said, if it's in your Declaration and you signed it, learn to read before you sign and adhere to the rules you agreed to.

As far a the limo business goes, that's specifically against the rules in our HOA.

TR

HOA has no jurisdiction on a city/county street. If you park on the street they can do nothing. But your driveway is under their control.

Plus, how do they know who's car is on the street? My neighbor parks in front of my house off/on through the week.

Awesome, Now who wants to rent my 1995 Mercedes C220 beater? It has 4 different rims and each body panel is a different color. I don’t like window tint so I Just spray painted the windows. The 743 highly offensive, but legal, bumper stickers tie the whole thing together. $300 a week to park it on the street in front of the house of your HOA members. I will drive it around the block once a day, It’s insured and the registration is current. :poke: