Frisco Gems We All Should Know About

There aren't that many people who have celiac disease to support a store like this. Celiac and gluten avoidance has become the food fad du jour.

http://business.time.com/2013/03/13/why-were-wasting-billions-on-gluten-free-food/
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...-on-gluten-free-diet-dont-have-celiac-disease
This x 1000.

There are no doubt people who actually have a real illness and need to avoid gluten. Most of the people jumping on this bandwagon are trying to be part of the hip crowd and have self diagnosed a phantom sensitivity.

andygump

Platinum Member
Yeah, no idea how we've survived as a species without "gluten-free, soy-free, all-natural and organic baker[ies]."
gluten content in some of the products we eat today is 10x greater than it was 20 or 30 years ago...several products that advertise to be gluten free are not truly free, but just have less per serving ( rice flour comes to mind)...

AGH

Gold Member
Frisco Commons Park, especially the back half of the park. This park is one of those "spaces" that seems to have the ability to take you away from everything. It nurtures, and calms the soul.

I would consider myself a Frisco Gem.
Living proof you really can polish a turd!!! I'm kidding, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

On related note: How can you tell if someone has a 'gluten allergy'? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Same applies with crossfit, marathon runners, etc.

mikel

Platinum Member
How can you tell if someone has a 'gluten allergy'? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
It's possible they are just trying to help the 1/3 of the population that doesn't know they are allergic to gluten?

Of course, many of them appear to be just :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:es and don't deserve the knowledge.

And people wonder why FOL traffic sucks these days..

orchid

It's possible they are just trying to help the 1/3 of the population that doesn't know they are allergic to gluten?

Of course, many of them appear to be just :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:es and don't deserve the knowledge.

And people wonder why FOL traffic sucks these days..

The 1/3 stat is not supported by any kind of science. I work with 2 nutritionists who know their stuff. The % of population that needs to be gluten free remains tiny. Anyone else is chucking their money away paying a premium for food that they don't need.

mikel

Platinum Member
The 1/3 stat is not supported by any kind of science. I work with 2 nutritionists who know their stuff. The % of population that needs to be gluten free remains tiny. Anyone else is chucking their money away paying a premium for food that they don't need.
The 1/3 stat is supported by more science than your 2 nutritionists who "know their stuff".

Need is relative I guess... I also guess some people don't really "need" to kick a heroin habit either.

The 1/3 stat is supported by more science than your 2 nutritionists who "know their stuff".

Need is relative I guess... I also guess some people don't really "need" to kick a heroin habit either.

The TIME article linked earlier explained that the 1/3 stat comes from a poll, not scientific research. 300 in 1000 said they were considering excluding gluten in their diet.

The article also goes on to say: "The University of Chicago’s Celiac Disease Center estimates that more than 3 million Americans — about one in 133."

Now let me put that in a form that the article should have included; that's 0.75% of the US population. Now, if 0.75% of the US population has a need to consider gluten intake, do you think such a bakery would otherwise be profitable unless the entire gluten thing was such a popular trend? No.

I wonder how many developed countries do research on gluten, or how much of their population considers gluten intake with regards to their diet?

Last edited:

orchid

Please could you provide any links to peer reviewed studies that show this? Any scientific evidence at all that supports your 1/3 claim? Not guesswork or opinion pieces but actual studies.

lesscrazy

Bronze Member
Living proof you really can polish a turd!!! I'm kidding, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

On related note: How can you tell if someone has a 'gluten allergy'? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Same applies with crossfit, marathon runners, etc.
Wow, that was harsh.
The first rule of Gluten is to always talk about Gluten.

mikel

Platinum Member
Note, I didn't say celiac... I said sensitivity.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/How-Many-People-Have-Gluten-Sensitivity.htm

Drs. Ford, Fine Say Percentage Could Be Far Higher — Up To 50%

Dr. Ford, a pediatrician in Christchurch, New Zealand and author of The Gluten Syndrome, says he believes the percentage of people who are gluten-sensitive actually could be much higher — potentially between 30% and 50%.

"There are so many people who are sick," he says. "At least 10% are gluten-sensitive, and it's probably more like 30%. I was sticking my neck out years ago when I said at least 10% of the population is gluten-sensitive. My medical colleagues were saying gluten sensitivity didn't exist. We'll probably find it's more than 50% when we finally settle on a number."

Dr. Fine, a gastroenterologist who founded and directs the gluten sensitivity testing service Enterolab, agrees that gluten sensitivity probably affects half the population.

Dr. Fine suspects that 10% to 15% of all Americans have blood antibodies (either AGA-IgA or AGA-IgG antibodies) to gluten, which would indicate their immune systems are reacting to the protein.

Another large percentage of Americans have autoimmune disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic headaches and/or microscopic colitis, which place them at high risk for gluten sensitivity. About 60% to 65% of people with those conditions test positive for gluten sensitivity through Enterolab, Dr. Fine says.

mikel

Platinum Member
That's an opinion piece, not a study, there are people who are speculating higher numbers but no research to back it up.
That doctor is quoting actual %'s from his testing lab. That's not an opinion piece... I never said those numbers where from a large, scientific, double blind study.

I'll take those numbers over a "really knowledgeable" nutritionist any day of the week.

Do you have a study refuting those numbers?