Frisco driving rules

Being new to the area as of a few months ago, I have some questions/comments about drivers in Frisco. 1. Are we(fellow Frisconians) exempt from following recognized signage laws? 2. Do posted speed limits only apply to newer residents that don't know any better?
3. Do people on motorcycles EVER have the right-of-way?

I ask these for several reasons. When I pull into a multi-way stop sign area, I usually stop and let others proceed that were at the various stop signs before me. What I have been seeing on a fairly regularly basis, is that we should just pull to the stop sign, come to our stop, and proceed in whatever direction we need to without regard as to whom might have already been stopped in another direction before us. It has happened at various stop signs, multiple times, and at many different times of day, that I have witnessed. Glad to see that there are some pretty attentive drivers in this city that have avoided some accidents. (At least so far)

I will ***-u-me that whatever the posted speed limit is, it is perfectly allowable to travel 10 mph faster, unless a police car is present, AND that 20 mph faster is preferred.

Finally, when making a right turn into on coming traffic, it is perfectly acceptable to pull in front of said on-coming cars and then slow down or just hit your brakes. Nothing says "Hey let's-exchange-phone-numbers-and-personal-information-so-we-can-exchange-recipes-and-set-play-dates-for-our-kids" quite like causing someone to rear-end you.

Please drive safely everyone.

And to the gentleman(term used loosely) that did the aforementioned right turn after coming to a (slight) stop at your red light and hit the brakes because I was right on your ***** when I was on my motorcycle. Monday night around 10:30, Centennial and 121 intersection, you in a dark blue truck. Here's some info for you. When I have my helmet and the wind is blowing, I'm not going to hear when you roll down your window to yell at me for being on your bumper when you turn into traffic. AND no matter how big of a truck you buy, and load it with all the bells and whistles, it will never make-up for your male short-comings that you are trying sooooo hard to make-up for.

aggieteach

Double Platinum
angry much?

I see this in every larger city in every state.

You've seemed to have gotten to know your way around FOL with a blog post and all in less than a month ... curious. I don't even know how to do a blog post.

angelaN

Platinum Member
Yes, welcome to Frisco. Most people here were given a "Very Special Persons Pass" upon their birth. This allows them to disobey rules especially when inconvenient or considered not necessary to their safety. Having been born in another country I was not given this opportunity and therefore feel the need to set an example for my children, who also were not given this pass, and I actually stop at stop signs and use my turn signals. I have found it necessary to my personal safety to go somewhat over the speed limit on the highways as I have induced a lot of road rage by daring to drive the speed limit in the right hand lane.
If you need a further education on this "Very Special Persons Pass" than I would recommend using the car pool lane at your closest elementary school.

angry much?

I see this in every larger city in every state.

You've seemed to have gotten to know your way around FOL with a blog post and all in less than a month ... curious. I don't even know how to do a blog post.
Well as far as angry, not much really. It was apparently a lame attempt to take a bit of a humorous approach to the subject. Either you don't get the humor, or you didn't get enough caffine this morning.

I'll be the first to admit that I drive a good 5 mph oveer the limit on highways, but am usually very good at staying the limit on city streets. Most larger cities don't have four-way stop signs. They have the lights, and by my travels around the Dallas area over the last few months, it does seem to happen (at least to me) here in Frisco.

As far as the blog post, it was more by accident than intentional. After I hit the submit button, I noticed a post to blog icon on the screen. I clicked on the icon and guess what, it made a blog post. Online city forums are nothing new. They have been around for years. This is one of the best ones that I have become a member of. The last three cities that we lived in had them, but not to the extent of FOL. Nice to have all the info that we can get on here.

Safe driving to all.

debw712

Diamond Member
Beware the 16 year olds - I SWEAR I think 17 years old is too young to drive- 16 is ridiculous - my own kids included. I find that most of the time when there are less than rule abiding drivers its a kid or a woman on the phone- and I am a woman driver and include myself in that category- I drive like a crack head but I try very hard not to

We just lost 2 teens in our circle of acquiantances in the past 2 months to auto wrecks.

There are times that I want to wire the seat belt indicator to the ignition. Hmmmm.

I totally got the humor in this post and I totally understand where you are coming from. We moved to Frisco recently also and I am amazed daily at the driving habits here. Even after living in NJ for the past 16 years, I have never seen driving like I have seen here. Just yesterday we saw a gentleman changing lanes at a high speed while reading something on his cell phone. For the sake of everyone's safety Texas really needs to pass a hands free law. For such a technology forward community people here seem to be bluetooth phobic.

Drive safe!

debw712

Diamond Member
Lived in NJ for 40 years then her for the past 3. I call it the "Texas Two Step" where a person gets onto a highway and glides aimlessley across 3 or 4 lanes of traffic and with no regard to traffic- the whole "yield to ramp" thing- makes me cringe every time.

I almost wiped out the first time I did a uturn on a highway here- SUCH a novel concept for me and yikes they go fast lol

rwmb52

Silver Member
Depends on how long you have lived here!
1-5 years, everybody else first
5-10 years go for it and take a chance
10 years and up, do whatever you wnat whenever you want!

Don't know where you moved here from but in this part of the country the biggest vehicle goes first.

The only exception is a junker vs a Lexus or similar in which case the junker does what it wants.

My biggest driving pet peeve since moving to Texas is that SO many drivers making a left turn at a traffic light don't pull out into the intersection to wait for oncoming traffic to pass. They sit back at the white stop line, then light turns yellow, then red, and we sit through another cycle of the light.

Check that...an even bigger pet peeve is those who are stopped at any traffic light with their head down in their cellphone and several cars don't make the light because they didn't react for the first 5 seconds after the light turned green.

rawhide

Diamond Member
My biggest driving pet peeve since moving to Texas is that SO many drivers making a left turn at a traffic light don't pull out into the intersection to wait for oncoming traffic to pass. They sit back at the white stop line, then light turns yellow, then red, and we sit through another cycle of the light.

Check that...an even bigger pet peeve is those who are stopped at any traffic light with their head down in their cellphone and several cars don't make the light because they didn't react for the first 5 seconds after the light turned green.
I am guilty as charged on your first point.

I have found that cars coming the opposite direction sometimes run the red light, or change their minds at the last second and decide to make a very slow right hand turn and I am still waiting for it to clear and now the light is green for the perpendicular directions and I am blocking the intersection.

I am also in a small low car and I have better visibilty around the SUV making an opposite left hand turn back at the white lines.

There is an intersection near my gym where the road curves and you cannot see the oncoming traffic if you pull into the middle. There have been several accidents at this intersection in the past 8 months.

But, I do understand your point. I am being overly cautious.

I am with you on the head down in the cell phone.

Aggie Pass

You've probably missed the Aggie Pass. You generally see it while driving through the hill country on a two lane road. Here's the idea. Some boob comes barreling up your butt, being the good Texan that you are you drive the shoulder to let boob pass you on the left. Being the courteous Texan that he is, he gives you a wave. And it isn't the one fingered variety either. Restraining oneself in a no passing zone is frowned upon.

I just about died (not in the true sense of the word) the first time I was riding in a car that did an Aggie pass. Don't quite know how it got the Aggie pass name since we were Longhorns, but that's besides the point.

Welcome to Frisco. Oh and forget looking in your side or rear mirror before changing lanes. You got to live dangerously if you're going to live Texan!

Well while we are ranting.....

I almost lost my voice yelling at a hillbilly in a white truck in Eldorado this week. He glides all the way into my lane unexpectedly with no attempt to correct it forcing me to slam on the brakes. When I pull up next to him he is knee deep texting his cousin on how he yearns to kiss her.

I start yelling to get his attention and then he tries to get upset and attempt to follow me. After he gets a glance of my size he runs off.

Where is a bored Frisco PD SUV when you need it?

The texting has got to stop. Especially for those driving 5 ton vehicles.

I thought that was the law here in Texas. Having learned how to drive in California, I started following that practice here as that is what I see everyone else do.

I understand being safe at four way stops but also be sensible. If there are 2 lanes going in your direction you can go with the guy next to you as long as you stop first. You don't have to wait for everyone else.

andygump

Platinum Member
I drive "friendly" now...
I give a "casual" toot of the horn when the light turns green so everyone knows to go...
I use my turn signal, even when changing lanes,
I "flash my lights" to let someone know its ok to pull in front of me...
and if anyone gets upset, I gladly tell them they are "number 1"...

aggieteach

Double Platinum
You've probably missed the Aggie Pass. You generally see it while driving through the hill country on a two lane road. Here's the idea. Some boob comes barreling up your butt, being the good Texan that you are you drive the shoulder to let boob pass you on the left. Being the courteous Texan that he is, he gives you a wave. And it isn't the one fingered variety either. Restraining oneself in a no passing zone is frowned upon.

I just about died (not in the true sense of the word) the first time I was riding in a car that did an Aggie pass. Don't quite know how it got the Aggie pass name since we were Longhorns, but that's besides the point.

Welcome to Frisco. Oh and forget looking in your side or rear mirror before changing lanes. You got to live dangerously if you're going to live Texan!
Thats funny. I'm an Aggie and have never heard it called that. I have only seen people do it in east Texas and on my way to College Station.