Frisco Autonomous Buses

Invader

Silver Member
Frisco Autonomous Buses - Dart will not be far behind
At last night’s Town Hall meeting, Mayor Cheney said that there will be autonomous buses in Frisco serving the private sector in 2018. He said an announcement is expected soon regarding the use of autonomous vehicles.
Autonomous vehicles are self-driving vehicles and are able to sense their own environment. One of the council’s top priorities is to implement innovative transportation systems.
“Transportation is one of the most evolving industries that we have,” Cheney said. “How people get around 10 years from now is going to be dramatically different than what we see today. So as a city [we are]very much making sure we’re on the leading edge of those technologies.” (Community Impact)
Link to article: https://communityimpact.com/…/wade-park-autonomous-vehicle…/

Given the quality of drivers in Frisco, I would think autonomous driving would be a net positive for the community.

We could outfit them with speed sensors and have them issue autonomous speeding, no turn signal and improper lane usage tickets - Another No Brainer! Where Matt when we need him??

Invader

Silver Member
Given the quality of drivers in Frisco, I would think autonomous driving would be a net positive for the community.

We could outfit them with speed sensors and have them issue autonomous speeding, no turn signal and improper lane usage tickets - Another No Brainer! Where Matt when we need him??
Excellent!!! The city can also pay the red light camera tickets this could generate

Rimrock

Double Platinum
This Mayor will not be in office 10 years from now.
Yeah but it it still doesn't follow that DART is coming. If anything its the opposite direction. Maybe if Frisco did something like Arlington is trying...public transport on demand. But not the old, and tired big public transport boondoggle that is DART. That's not happening.

The Community Impact article was not completely clear. These autonomous buses (at least for now) are being investigated by Craig Hall (with I believe Mayor Cheney’s insight/coordination as well) to be implemented just within Hall Park. Details forthcoming. No citywide plans as of yet.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
It would be to expensive to get into DART now. But there could be another regional transportation system that ties into DART similar to how the T works with DART.

MSJ

Triple Platinum
The Community Impact article was not completely clear. These autonomous buses (at least for now) are being investigated by Craig Hall (with I believe Mayor Cheney’s insight/coordination as well) to be implemented just within Hall Park. Details forthcoming. No citywide plans as of yet.
Plano is also working on autonomous driving for the north west portion of their city. It's being looked at regionally Automated Transportation - NCTCOG.org

Last edited: