FPD cherry picking traffic enforcements

Bull_07

Platinum Member
Just curious when the FPD drive through neighborhoods and they pass by all the cars parked on the wrong side of the road they don't stop to write the tickets? That's still a law correct? :rules:

Almost hit someone head on because they were parked on the wrong side behind a vehicle and just pulled out. :nono:

They could deputize the water police and allow them to write the tickets. Imagine the increase in revenue. :fishing:

On a side note, at soccer practice the other day FPD stops by and hassles one of the parents who is parked legally behind the fire lane, but facing a different way and starts to question how he parked his car like that. (Did he enter through the entrance or exit side to park that way.) So he had time to hassle someone who is parked legally, but not to write a ticket for the cars he passed in the neighborhood who are parked illegally.

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
They don't usually enforce the parking laws in a subdivision unless someone calls and complains.

I wish they did.

You could always call the non-emergency number and request enforcement in your hood.

OKTX

Triple Platinum
Why do people park in the street? Maybe if the FPD spent more time patrolling the alleys at night we wouldn't feel it necessary to park in front. Alley way crime is rampant in this city. I've had my vehicle broken into multiple times. Two neighbors have had wheels stolen. Most of us park in the street now if no room in the garage. Thieves like the privacy of alleys.

AGH

Gold Member
Really? Don't you think the government hassles people over enough stuff already? And now you want them to come into the neighborhoods and ticket for something this trivial?

That person that almost hit you because they didn't look, would probably not have looked even if they were parked on the right side of the street.

I'm GLAD they don't usually ticket for the trivial violations like parking in the opposite direction or not having front license plates. (I do sort of understand them singling out the soccer park violation - that is a heavier traffic area plus lots of children pedestrians.)

ETA - plus it sounds like the soccer park violator may have driven in the divided exit of the park (against departing one-way traffic) in order to face that way when parked. That is clearly a violation and a safety hazard.

Last edited:

Bull_07

Platinum Member
I'm GLAD they don't usually ticket for the trivial violations like parking in the opposite direction or not having front license plates. (I do sort of understand them singling out the soccer park violation - that is a heavier traffic area plus lots of children pedestrians.)
TDC for the soccer incident, this was at a soccer practice at a school at 6:30 at night with zero traffic.

I could understand "maybe" at a soccer game when there is hundreds of people.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
Really? Don't you think the government hassles people over enough stuff already? And now you want them to come into the neighborhoods and ticket for something this trivial?

That person that almost hit you because they didn't look, would probably not have looked even if they were parked on the right side of the street.
Actually, there was no way for her to look. Do you know why?
Because she was on the wrong side of the road. All she could see was the parked vehicle in front of her who was parked legally.
She had 3 options?
1. Park legally. (Didn't happen.)
2. Have someone get out of the vehicle and look out for oncoming cars. (Didn't Happen)
3. Flip a coin and go for it and hope no one is there. (Did happen, except I was there.)

It is extremely dangerous to park on the wrong side of the road when there are other cars parked there.
1. You are sitting on the other side so you can peak down the road.
2. You can't use your Mirrors because you are facing the wrong direction.

It's even worse around the schools when parents decide to park all around the school neighborhood facing the wrong way and right at the corner of an intersection on both sides. I thought parking to close to an intersection was illegal as well.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
ETA - plus it sounds like the soccer park violator may have driven in the divided exit of the park (against departing one-way traffic) in order to face that way when parked. That is clearly a violation and a safety hazard.
As I just said, it was a school, not the Warren soccer park or anything.
Also, he had asked the cop about parking there legally and the cop said, yep, you are parked legally and everything is fine, just how did you get there?

bizguy

Diamond Member
Very unequal enforcement...

I got a ticket for parking in a fire lane at a private school (extremely inadequate parking for those sort of things at all schools) during parents night - mr. po-po was just walking along writing one ticket after another

yet a dozen people can park their luxury cars in the fire lane at Kroger and nothing every happens...

I nearly hit a pedestrian coming out of the Kroger because someone in an oversize SUV (creates a huge blind spot) couldn't park in a normal space and walk over to the redbox machine - the only way the redbox would apparently work is to park in front of it....

bard

Gold Member
Never understood the parking on the wrong side of the street argument. It's like saying it's impossible to safely change lanes from left to right.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
If you can safely change lanes from left to right at 80 mph, then you should be able to accomplish it at < 5 mph.
Bizguy is right. You not changing lanes, you are driving into the oncoming lane.

If you are a car and parked the wrong way, and in front of you is something larger that you can't see through and you can't see what's coming, then the only option you have is to go for it and hope there is no one coming. Sounds pretty STUPID! But looking at my neighborhood and the people that park around a school in the neighborhood, it's amazing anyone survives.