FISD choosing sides in the city and school board election

Has anyone else received an email from Dr. Trent through your children's teacher telling you which municipal and school board candidates to vote for?

RichK

Triple Platinum
Nope, and I have kids in band and I know Dr. Trent. Haven't heard a word from him or anyone else at FISD concerning the election.

Rebel

Diamond Member
Didn't get the email directly, but I've seen it.

Can't remember a time when an employee of the ISD, or City, has sent out an email endorsing a specific list of candidates using ISD/City Resources.

Didn't get the email directly, but I've seen it.

Can't remember a time when an employee of the ISD, or City, has sent out an email endorsing a specific list of candidates using ISD/City Resources.
With kids in the band it should only be a matter of time until I get it.

Ecourage your student's parents to vote Saturday.

It is an important election.

There is a movement of voters that do not think money spent on the arts is a good use of tax payers money. I disagree! Frisco has state of the art athletic facilities and needs to have equal venues for our artistic students, parents and community residents.

I think the Arts of Collin County Fine Arts Complex will be a wonderful venture for the communities in the area. A vote against proposition one - will allow the building of the complex to go forward. People interested in the Arts need to make their voices heard. Get out the Vote!!

Maher Masso, Bart Crowder, John Classe and Debbie Gelespie are all candidates that support the arts and do not think spending money on the arts is any kind of waste.

Vote your concience, but vote Saturday.

Dr. Trent
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Trent, Daryl <TrentD@friscoisd.org> wrote:
This is a very important election week. Do not forget to go vote.

Dr. Daryl Trent
Director of Fine Arts
Frisco Independent School District
12025 Rolater Road
Frisco, Texas 75034
trentd@friscoisd.org

Those teachers should never have been put in a position such as this! We just attended Rachel's Rally last week and then who knows how many teachers were told to forward this. If you ask me, it sounds like bullying!

I am sickened by this misuse of resources and lack of integrity and the fact that these teachers have now jeopardized the relationships they have with the students and parents to what end?

angelaN

Platinum Member
I question the appropriatenss of this. There is a disclaimer on the bottom of every email that states that FISD is not responsible for anything written in the above email.

bizguy

Diamond Member
Ecourage your student's parents to vote Saturday.

It is an important election.

There is a movement of voters that do not think money spent on the arts is a good use of tax payers money. I disagree! Frisco has state of the art athletic facilities and needs to have equal venues for our artistic students, parents and community residents.

I think the Arts of Collin County Fine Arts Complex will be a wonderful venture for the communities in the area. A vote against proposition one - will allow the building of the complex to go forward. People interested in the Arts need to make their voices heard. Get out the Vote!!

Maher Masso, Bart Crowder, John Classe and Debbie Gelespie are all candidates that support the arts and do not think spending money on the arts is any kind of waste.

Vote your concience, but vote Saturday.

Dr. Trent
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Trent, Daryl <TrentD@friscoisd.org> wrote:
This is a very important election week. Do not forget to go vote.

Dr. Daryl Trent
Director of Fine Arts
Frisco Independent School District
12025 Rolater Road
Frisco, Texas 75034
trentd@friscoisd.org
Maybe we can eliminate an "administrative" position such as his to help pay for it then...

Dr. Trent should be disciplined (maybe even fired) for using his position and the email lists that he has access to only as a part of his job to advocate for a political issue.

TPW

Diamond Member
Maybe we can eliminate an "administrative" position such as his to help pay for it then...

Dr. Trent should be disciplined (maybe even fired) for using his position and the email lists that he has access to only as a part of his job to advocate for a political issue.
I know Dr. Trent personally and while this may not have been the best idea given his position I know how passionate he is about the arts and in particular the young students which are influenced by the arts through the programs offered at all of the FISD schools. I would bet top dollar that this email was sent out only with the interests of the students for which he is responsible for at heart.

By all means let's fire one of the most caring and compassionate educators that FISD has even had over this issue. Untie your bunched panties bizguy.

ETA: Just wanted to add how completely ignorant your comment about eliminating the Director of Fine Arts for the ISD is. This would but FISD at a disadvantage in attracting the best and brightest teaching talent for the fine arts to the ISD as EVERY OTHER ISD IN TX has a similar administration position. They are VERY important.

Last edited:
I've met the man years ago and agree that he shouldn't be fired...but disciplined, yes. This is a big no-no.

Again, supporting the arts and supporting this over the top boondoggle are two separate issues.

Not sure how High School marching bands would make use of this facility....and why our big stadiums and brand new auditoriums don't suffice for HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. It's not like our bands and orchestras are made up of "world class" musicians. While we have some talented youngsters, performing on a "world class" stage is a privilege EARNED. But I realize that's not good enough for many Frisco parents who "want only the best" for their super special offspring, so we as a whole should foot the bill for a "world-class" center. In the mean time we'll pay TRIPLE for it.

1) We pay tax dollars for it to be built and ongoing M&O -- since it's known it will never make a profit.

2) Unless I'm wrong, schools will have to PAY to use the venue. The school's budget is funded through TAXES.

3) We pay to ATTEND events.

TPW

Diamond Member
Not sure how High School marching bands would make use of this facility....and why our big stadiums and brand new auditoriums don't suffice for HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. It's not like our bands and orchestras are made up of "world class" musicians. While we have some talented youngsters, performing on a "world class" stage is a privilege EARNED. But I realize that's not good enough for many Frisco parents who "want only the best" for their super special offspring, so we as a whole should foot the bill for a "world-class" center. In the mean time we'll pay TRIPLE for it.
You do realize that there is WAY, WAY, WAY more to the music programs in FISD than marching band. I would argue with your point on world class musicians and the implication that the hard work many of these musicians put into their craft is not EARNING the right to perform in a a world-class facility.

The ACC is about more than just what it can offer to the student of FISD. IMHO it's about making the area something more than just a wasteland of houses, strip-malls and minor league sport complexes.

You do realize that there is WAY, WAY, WAY more to the music programs in FISD than marching band. I would argue with your point on world class musicians and the implication that the hard work many of these musicians put into their craft is not EARNING the right to perform in a a world-class facility.

The ACC is about more than just what it can offer to the student of FISD. IMHO it's about making the area something more than just a wasteland of houses, strip-malls and minor league sport complexes.
To put it in sports terms ...just because your kids team works hard, they shouldn't be playing at Cowboy Stadium for their weekly games. It's an honor for teams to play at Cowboy Stadium. Teams should be playing in their high school stadium. This "honor" is reserved for playoffs and title games (the best of the best).

Same thing - bands and orchestras in HIGH SCHOOL should be playing in the venues appropriate to the level they have achieved thus far in their musical endeavors. The regional has first class venues that could host "the best of the best" events. Sure the kids work hard and should be rewarded...with scholarships, etc. Not grand halls so they can perform for mommy and daddy that the taxpayers have paid for.

That said...I disagree with the use of PHP for high school games. It was a poor partnership between FISD, the city and a private enterprise. Parents are fleeced at the concession stands and a full house at Memorial looks quite sparse in PHP. Our "top notch" athletes don't need the grand stadium to throw a ball. FISD's football stadium is quite "quaint" in comparison to other districts' stadiums (Allen, Denton, Southlake just to name a few).

TPW

Diamond Member
To put it in sports terms ...just because your kids team works hard, they shouldn't be playing at Cowboy Stadium for their weekly games. It's an honor for teams to play at Cowboy Stadium. Teams should be playing in their high school stadium. This "honor" is reserved for playoffs and title games (the best of the best).

Same thing - bands and orchestras in HIGH SCHOOL should be playing in the venues appropriate to the level they have achieved thus far in their musical endeavors. The regional has first class venues that could host "the best of the best" events. Sure the kids work hard and should be rewarded...with scholarships, etc. Not grand halls so they can perform for mommy and daddy that the taxpayers have paid for.

That said...I disagree with the use of PHP for high school games. It was a poor partnership between FISD, the city and a private enterprise. Parents are fleeced at the concession stands and a full house at Memorial looks quite sparse in PHP. Our "top notch" athletes don't need the grand stadium to throw a ball. FISD's football stadium is quite "quaint" in comparison to other districts' stadiums (Allen, Denton, Southlake just to name a few).
Where are you getting your information? When did anyone say that every concert for every music ensemble would be at the ACC? It would be used for 'best of the best" events including festivals and contests.

Where are you getting your information? When did anyone say that every concert for every music ensemble would be at the ACC? It would be used for 'best of the best" events including festivals and contests.
What's wrong with the regional centers we have NOW in Richardson, Dallas and Fort Worth?

TPW

Diamond Member
What's wrong with the regional centers we have NOW in Richardson, Dallas and Fort Worth?
1. They are pretty far away and I'm sure people like you would complain about the cost of buses to take students to these facilities.

2. I would prefer that we have an arts complex for the residents of this area here in this area. Just like we have sports complexes and retail entertainment available in this area.

3. Then lets have just a few football/baseball/gyms for the multitude of HS's to use for extra-curricular sports in this region as well. They will get to use it when available.....good luck.