FISD Athletic Director replacing Centennial's FB Coach with who?

AGH

Gold Member
So I read in the Frisco Star that Howard is leaving Centennial and what does our AD do? He's bringing back an old Frisco HS FB Coach to replace him? How does that make sense? Ronnie Mullins left Frisco a couple of years ago and Coach Vance was brought in. That seemed like a good move at the time, but now it seems like maybe the good ole boy system has once again has reared its ugly head? How about some new blood? Maybe promote one of the many young hungry assistant coaches FISD has in its ranks?

Maybe its time for a new AD?

Last edited:
Did Mullins go over to South GP as an Asst.??

Anyway, I tend to agree that Frisco's size tends toward younger coaches that build a program. That being said, Frisco's constantly changing school borders make it very difficult to build up a program.

Frisco has plenty of resources, but if I was a coach I would want to be in a system that I could teach down to the middle school level to then roll up to my HS.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
So I read in the Frisco Star that Howard is leaving Centennial and what does our AD do? He's bringing back an old Frisco HS FB Coach to replace him? How does that make sense? Ronnie Mullins left Frisco a couple of years ago and Coach Vance was brought in. That seemed like a good move at the time, but now it seems like maybe the good ole boy system has once again has reared its ugly head? How about some new blood? Maybe promote one of the many young hungry assistant coaches FISD has in its ranks?

Maybe its time for a new AD?
If FISD was replacing a math teacher would you feel the same way ?

AGH

Gold Member
Quick trying to hijack this thread. It's about athletics, specifically football. Last I know a football coach is hired to win football games and if he doesn't do it they replace him. I would expect the same thing with a math teacher if he isn't a good teacher. Mullins went 16-34 in 5 seasons with Frisco HS and when he left he became AD in Prosper.

If I wanted to discuss mediocre math teachers I would start a thread about them.

Last edited:
I think AGH has a valid point here. That coach is going to (most likely) ruin the best program in Frisco. (I am not a Centennial parent.) Given the solid track record of success, there probably were some pretty good young candidates who were interested. We will see in a few years if this was a poor hire.

Piiilot

Platinum Member
Quick trying to hijack this thread. It's about athletics, specifically football. Last I know a football coach is hired to win football games and if he doesn't do it they replace him. I would expect the same thing with a math teacher if he isn't a good teacher. Mullins went 16-34 in 5 seasons with Frisco HS and when he left he became AD in Prosper.

If I wanted to discuss mediocre math teachers I would start a thread about them.
Are they hired to win ? I think there is more than one varsity coach in Frisco with a losing record.

pearceg

Diamond Member
That coach is going to (most likely) ruin the best program in Frisco.
That may be part of the plan since it's not fair that one program has emerged as better than the rest. I think what FISD wants, more than they want TEA Exemplary Campuses, is a city-wide self-contained 11 or 13 school athletic district where every team finishes every season 5-5 (or 6-6), just as long as they get to play all their games in $30M+ stadia with giant video replay screens and luxury suites.

That may be part of the plan since it's not fair that one program has emerged as better than the rest. I think what FISD wants, more than they want TEA Exemplary Campuses, is a city-wide self-contained 11 or 13 school athletic district where every team finishes every season 5-5 (or 6-6), just as long as they get to play all their games in $30M+ stadia with giant video replay screens and luxury suites.
Participation Medals for Everyone!!!

S

stryker

I'm not seeing what the big deal is here. Coach Mullins left being the head coach of FHS to become the assistant AD of Frisco then left to become the AD of prosper, and a major factor of why his record was sub par is because that is when FHS was transitioning from 3A to 4A, and that is a hard jump to make if you are unaware. Also that is when CHS was being built and was splitting kids.

AGH

Gold Member
That is a fair assessment Stryker, but my point is more about the good young coaches that would build on the existing program as opposed to bringing back an outsider that has a questionable record. I know some of the young coaches and they are far better than some of the head coaches FISD has at some schools. I'm not a Centennial parent either, but don't even get me started on Wakeland.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
CHS has and is graduating a lot of their talent. Freshman B was 1-4, Freshman A was 1-8. JV ended the season at 3-7. That is the group the coaches have to work with.

I know that there will be a few stand outs that have practiced (from JV/Fresh) and will stand out in the future, but will there be enough talent? That has to also be taken into consideration - is the talent there?

There are some that stand out that will be Seniors (Texada) and a few others that played this year but is it enough to be a strong starting team for a new coach?

Are they hired to win ? I think there is more than one varsity coach in Frisco with a losing record.
Please someone with more info correct me if this is wrong, but I heard that the Head FB coach is at the same "level" organizationally as the Principal. Make approximately the same $$$ and are not required to teach other subjects as Assistance coaches are required to do. Is this true?

Opus

Silver Member
Please someone with more info correct me if this is wrong, but I heard that the Head FB coach is at the same "level" organizationally as the Principal. Make approximately the same $$$ and are not required to teach other subjects as Assistance coaches are required to do. Is this true?
This ain't Louisiana where coaches make a few thousand more than a teacher and still have to teach classes. Yes they are well paid here, and I believe there are a few cases where they make more than the principal.