Fingers Crossed day

We know a lot about the legitimate and legal immigration! The delays right now are ridiculous and are a true testament to the fact that our system is broken.

Our daughter married a Frenchman in June, 2014. He was a graduate student when they met 5 years ago. They have invested a small fortune over the years on air travel and visas: student visa, internship (J-1) visa, and fiancé (K-1) visa, along with the costly biometrics. The application for permanent residence was almost identical to the K-1 application and another cost they had to incur. He received his work permit in October of last year and by December, they had moved to the Great Northwest where he works for a Fortune 500 company. He is their primary means of support.

There has been no progress on his green card and his work permit was due to expire. There are huge fines for the company and individual if work is performed on an expired permit. Even after a visit with USCIS, he could get no help. As a last resort, they contacted their local Congressman and just 2 days later, his work permit was approved. The letter came a couple of days later.

Since it’s been over a year since his application for a green card was submitted, he will likely have to go through another biometrics submission, including a physical exam. Insurance doesn’t cover that, and it’s another $700. The wait for his green card continues.

By comparison, our son married a Mexican who was ‘illegal’ thanks to her parents overstaying their visas. They didn’t have to get a fiancée visa because she was already here and in school. They got married just before their 4th year of college (she had graduated in 3 years and was doing a Master’s). She had her work permit in hand in less than 4 months and her green card in 8 months, before the school year ended. She had multiple job offers, accepted the best one, and has been with them ever since. She recently became a citizen.

rawhide

Diamond Member
HC, thanks for your post. We had a similar experience with your first example. He ended up having to leave the US and return to his country of origin as his permit expired.

Not sure why immigrants from CA seem to get an expedited process as compared with those from eastern/western Europe.

The system is broken.

Dazzor, congratulations and your long awaited reunion with the Lone Star State is about to be as sweet as west Texas peach cobbler.

Good post HC Family and good luck in your process

When we return, dept of labor would have my application to pass PERM for a thousand days!

I don't think there is any motivation to change immigration.

This past year has been pointless

Rules are rules, so we had to follow them or could not even apply.

I have said before and will say again. US will be much worse off if nobody wanted to immigrate here, legal or illegal. .

Got my visa today at US consulate

Was crapping myself as family before me had there visa denied and lifetime bans because

Lied to the consular official about previous attempts at a visa

AND

Tried with fake passports

Kudos therefore for the system working.

Its now illegal for them to enter US

My interview lasted under 10mins, just got to pick it up

People who follow the rules and try to do things things the right way get screwed by the govt and yet thousands running across the border illegally get benefits. So the unintended message is get to Mexico then run across the border - its cheaper, faster and probably leads to better benefits.. Typical govt BS.

I thought I would give an update.

All is on track for our return

Plan is to drive as we made some investments here that we want to bring home.

So, we can't do a one way vehicle rental

One way to Niagara Canada, taxi across the border and pick up another one way rental in Niagara, NY

Our three terriors will get to see the falls briefly as we say goodbye to Canada and hello to USA

Then the long drive with arguments over
Are we there yet..
Playlists..
I need the loo..

2hrs on and off for driving

Hope to be home late Sat or Sun 3/4 Oct

Longest drive ever
Any tips and hints?

Two relocations in a year.
Hopefully the last

Last edited:

perseco

Double Platinum
I only have a few tips to keep the drive less mundane.

In New York and/or Pennsylvania, stop to take pictures of the trees changing to fall colors. You don't see fall foliage like that around Texas, and it can be hard to get back up to that part of the US during the fall seasons. Allegheny National Forest probably offers the best opportunity for such viewing.

There are usually some towns holding fall festivities (especially around Indiana and Ohio), so keep an eye out for those... you might come across some places with good food.

There is more to see/do if you stop in Nashville or Memphis than there is if you stop in Indianapolis or St Louis.

If you get stuck in a traffic jam in Arkansas, don't roll your windows down, or you will be swatting at mosquitoes the rest of the way home.

binbunch

Platinum Member
We made that trip from Frisco to Buffalo, NY many many times in our 22 years of living in Texas. The foliage will be gorgeous, especially through Tennessee. We drove it in two days because my husband is a maniac but I always wanted to stop at Mammoth Caves. Which way are you going? We usually did Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, little rock. But also have done Cleveland, then through Indiana, and down to St. Louis. That way takes forever through Oklahoma though. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm jealous you get to go "home".

If you stop in Memphis, spend a little time there seeing Graceland (evidence that you can't give a redneck money and expect him to have taste) and get some BBQ at Corky's on Poplar Ave. If you spend the night there, do not stay in south Memphis - it isn't very safe.

The longest road trip we ever did was 16 hours to Canton, OH and that was plenty for me. Stop and stretch your legs enough that your ankles don't swell up from being still for so long, and drink enough water. Scrabble and books on my iPad saved me, and the kids were entertained for the most part with movies and episodic TV shows on their mini-DVD players with earphones. Safe travels!

TXJohn1117

Double Platinum
Took a trip to Uniontown, PA a couple weeks ago. Went up through TN then through KY on the Bluegrass Parkway then up through Morgantown, WVA. Back through Ohio then KY then TN to home. Foliage hadn't started to turn yet, but it might have started in the past 2 weeks.

Trip was easy except for the traffic in Cincinnati and Louisville on the return trip. But, then again, it was Labor Day weekend.

perseco

Double Platinum
We made that trip from Frisco to Buffalo, NY many many times in our 22 years of living in Texas. The foliage will be gorgeous, especially through Tennessee. We drove it in two days because my husband is a maniac but I always wanted to stop at Mammoth Caves. Which way are you going? We usually did Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, little rock. But also have done Cleveland, then through Indiana, and down to St. Louis. That way takes forever through Oklahoma though. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm jealous you get to go "home".
I would point out that foliage in the mid-Atlantic states are predicted to be less vibrant than usual this year, though it should be at vibrant as ever up around NY/PA.