Fewer topics

Brian

Diamond Member
I've noticed in last year or two.. not as many posts as there was for many years. It is almost a political hotspot now instead of a Frisco thing?

Not saying I miss being on here everyday ...! :)

cyning

Yeah, I agree. There's seem to be fewer posts about Frisco and the surrounding area, less local news, fewer recommendations like which restaurants to go to and which to avoid, etc. and more posts about political issues.

And the political posts are starting to get repetitive. Same issues over and over again, but more vicious, with more name calling and more personal attacks. Less interesting. I don't even look at many of the political posts anymore. You can pretty much tell from the title what's going to be in the thread because you've already read it in so many previous threads.

Brian

Diamond Member
So true. Thankfully that was the best decision ever to create those sub forums and move politics there. I haven't looked there but a few times in past few years (I think). I think .. because somebody will correct me if I am wrong. :)

Mom+4

Silver Member
yeah...only a handful of active posters. 2 new council candidates announced and crickets and Frisco Q&A

Politics section are a few hard rights and hard lefts that go after each others throats all day...every day.

Facebook has taken it's toll.

Teach

Diamond Member
I read but rarely post anymore. Twelve years on the forum but the days of stirring it up with all of the first and second year forum members are over.... yawn

kenny6

Gold Member
Too many anonymous trolls and petty arguments. A lot of people got tired of it and moved on. But then again that was what made it exciting....a good FOL train wreck...oh yea.

Facebook has more control over who sees your posts.

A good controversial topic and people will start posting up though. Also, look at the first few posts - people who never post complaining about people not posting. Irony. Start posting if you want more people to engage.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
I think the mods played a part too.. After they banned me for two months because they thought I had dual accounts, I stopped posting as much..

I used to drop some big bombs that would really get things going..

It's not just that it's no new real topics.... okay well maybe..

What I mean is, there's really not much to talk about in a general sense. "Ooh a new Taco place...." etc...

I think people just get tired of the same ol' same ol'.

Even the thread jokes are retreads from 12 years ago. It is the natural progression of community based message boards.

Also, as others have mentioned, Facebook, and especially Twitter have taken over. I get more and better (more accurate) information about Frisco happenings from my Twitter followers and those I follow than I ever get here, in nice concise bits.

J.R.

Gold Member
and a lot of us that were active on FOL in the heyday of it have moved away to greener pastures....FOL was fantastic when I was painting during the Frisco early boom, before facebook, twitter, etc....I still check it once in awhile to see what, if anything, is going on down south.

I think the mods played a part too.. After they banned me for two months because they thought I had dual accounts, I stopped posting as much..

I used to drop some big bombs that would really get things going..
Maybe they should bring TallCoolOne back. He kept things interesting 😃

mcBerg

Platinum Member
Politics and religion spilled over. Just look at personal feedback poster stats and draw your own conclusions. Twitter is a more realistic social forum outside of the Tejas bubble

dont come around much anymore either. most of the folks i developed a relationship with here are mostly gone. no offense, but not a fan of a lot of the newer posters. i will say online forums are still very active and i belong to a couple with 100's of thousands of very active members. the only reason (in my opinion) that they are successful and active is because they have very little to no moderation. bad members are taken care of by other members.

i know, "old man yelling at clouds"...