Feedback on Lennar builder

My wife and I were looking at new home builds in the Hidden Cove subdivision and of the 3 builders there, Lennar seemed to have the better home deals and we really liked the model home. Does anyone have any feedback about Lennar as a builder regarding quality? I've read many complaints about foundation issues and one of my co-workers hears that quality overall is an issue.

Thanks.

in the middle of building there w/ lennar myself. not really qualified to opine on the quality of the home just yet, but all seems well. 10y warranty on the foundation and sales rep said they'd patch/fix cracks etc in walls/slab in the interim related to settling. ...course they SAID that, who knows how it really unfolds.

I owned a Lennar home in Meadow Hill Estates. Lived in it for nearly 10 years with absolutely no problems and loved the home. All our neighbors had Lennar homes too they never expressed any concerns to me.

boiler01

Silver Member
When we lived in Frisco we had a home built by Lennar. The things I would have changed about the house never had anything to do with the quality of construction. I personally felt they were/are a good builder for the price. You can find better, but be prepared to pay a lot more too.

In our neighborhood, in particular on our street which backed up to green belt/Army Corps property, there were some homes with foundation issues. We never had problems. Even had a structural engineer come out to verify. Even he said we had a well built home. Had we have stayed in the area I would not have had a problem buying another home built by them.

I rented a Lennar for nearly 3 years. Coming from a Drees home it was a drop. Quality was not so much of a big difference but the livability of it was. Simple things that they cut out to keep pricing down made the house feel very cheap. Things like no double switch for the ceiling fan/light, no shelving in the bathroom cabinets, cheap trim, etc.......

My analogy would be using pizza. The chains can give you a big giant plain pepperoni pizza with moderate taste that has plenty of slices. The local shops here will give you a smaller pizza with higher quality ingredients, better taste etc....... Just need to know which you want more. Good luck.

I've been in the process of a spec'd new-build with Lennar in that subdivision since June. My feelings are largely negative, but my expectations may be high(full-disclosure). I can tell you that when we signed our agreement on the home...they didn't make us feel warm and fuzzy inside at all. They weren't willing to change anything including(price, included options chosen by builder, etc.). I realize that it is very much a seller's market right now(both existing and new construction), but the ability to change one thing we didn't like or give a small reduction in the price would have went a long ways. They don't understand this, they don't care, it's not about the homeowner with Lennar. If you or someone else was able to achieve a different feat, then I'd liken it to David conquering Goliath...and I applaud you.If you are a detail-oriented person and care very much about the build quality of your home during the process...then A)a new build may not be for you and B)certainly a new-build with Lennar is not for you. I stopped by this past week to check in on the process...the door we have on the home is not the door in our contract. Half of the fixtures are a different color. To me, this screams a red-flag that they aren't monitoring the process or supervising like they should. It's not difficult to look at a build sheet and verify that what is on that sheet is being put into the home. Again...they don't care. I filed a customer service complaint with Lennar. Didn't hear back from anyone for over 2 weeks. Translate this to a warranty process where they don't have to answer a simple question or concern and are on-the-hook for $$$ in repairs....doesn't make me have a ton of faith in their warranty claims process that we have not used yet.It's truly an interesting time in the market right now. Builder's really don't have to be accountable for much. They make no concessions for qualified buyers. That's not to say that Lennar won't end up building a quality home for us and others...but I do believe that you need to hold their proverbial hand throughout every step of the process. This makes for a very stressful experience. Their preferred lender hasn't been much better...This is all in my humble opinion. Three other important things to note:1) This is an unincorporated area. Schools are presently zoned for little-elm schools minus the Stem Academy. According to friends in the neighborhood....they will be the first ones to be zone'd out of the Stem Academy...which means your young children may need to go to Hackberry Elementary at some point....look up those reviews.2) The tax rate is outrageous. 2.9% effective and ~$1400 is tied up in a Public Improvement District Tax(PID). You'll be paying the equivalent taxes in this neighborhood of a home priced 100K more in other areas of Frisco/Little Elm. May not make a difference for you. Once you pay up to ~$14K in PID taxes...you're done. Also, if a neighboring city incorporates it...you'll no longer have to pay this tax.3)

I've been in the process of a spec'd new-build with Lennar in that subdivision since June. My feelings are largely negative, but my expectations may be high(full-disclosure). I can tell you that when we signed our agreement on the home...they didn't make us feel warm and fuzzy inside at all. They weren't willing to change anything including(price, included options chosen by builder, etc.). I realize that it is very much a seller's market right now(both existing and new construction), but the ability to change one thing we didn't like or give a small reduction in the price would have went a long ways. They don't understand this, they don't care, it's not about the homeowner with Lennar. If you or someone else was able to achieve a different feat, then I'd liken it to David conquering Goliath...and I applaud you.If you are a detail-oriented person and care very much about the build quality of your home during the process...then A)a new build may not be for you and B)certainly a new-build with Lennar is not for you. I stopped by this past week to check in on the process...the door we have on the home is not the door in our contract. Half of the fixtures are a different color. To me, this screams a red-flag that they aren't monitoring the process or supervising like they should. It's not difficult to look at a build sheet and verify that what is on that sheet is being put into the home. Again...they don't care. I filed a customer service complaint with Lennar. Didn't hear back from anyone for over 2 weeks. Translate this to a warranty process where they don't have to answer a simple question or concern and are on-the-hook for $$$ in repairs....doesn't make me have a ton of faith in their warranty claims process that we have not used yet.It's truly an interesting time in the market right now. Builder's really don't have to be accountable for much. They make no concessions for qualified buyers. That's not to say that Lennar won't end up building a quality home for us and others...but I do believe that you need to hold their proverbial hand throughout every step of the process. This makes for a very stressful experience. Their preferred lender hasn't been much better...This is all in my humble opinion. Three other important things to note:1) This is an unincorporated area. Schools are presently zoned for little-elm schools minus the Stem Academy. According to friends in the neighborhood....they will be the first ones to be zone'd out of the Stem Academy...which means your young children may need to go to Hackberry Elementary at some point....look up those reviews.2) The tax rate is outrageous. 2.9% effective and ~$1400 is tied up in a Public Improvement District Tax(PID). You'll be paying the equivalent taxes in this neighborhood of a home priced 100K more in other areas of Frisco/Little Elm. May not make a difference for you. Once you pay up to ~$14K in PID taxes...you're done. Also, if a neighboring city incorporates it...you'll no longer have to pay this tax.3)
Thank you for the detailed information. Are you building in the Hidden Cove area of Frisco??

in the middle of building there w/ lennar myself. not really qualified to opine on the quality of the home just yet, but all seems well. 10y warranty on the foundation and sales rep said they'd patch/fix cracks etc in walls/slab in the interim related to settling. ...course they SAID that, who knows how it really unfolds.
What community are you building in? We were looking at Hidden Cove area but are considering another community as well.

yeah the hidden cove. supposed to be closing within the coming month. took about a month less time than the orig outlay and they worked through that torrential may.

Thank you for the detailed information. Are you building in the Hidden Cove area of Frisco??
I actually got out of the process. Decided the $500 deposit was easy enough to swallow. Went with a pre-existing home that had a lot of the extras, was zoned for Frisco schools, and had a better build quality.Myself and my fiancee were very bullish on new construction homes to start the process(late-May/June), but that was mainly due to the fact that our realtor said pre-existing homes were ending up in bidding wars. That certainly was the case, but things are slowing down quite a bit as many families got into homes before school started.The only thing I feel like we lost was an exceptional lot. Our lot was backing up to the tree-line and protected land. Won't have that in our home that we got into now....My fiancee ultimately told me that if we were going to end up in the Lennar home that I'd need to remove myself from the process and going out to the home entirely. She asked me if I could do that....and I said no. I think it all worked out for the best, as we got into a larger American Legend home with all the bells and whistles for roughly 10K more(albeit our monthly payment is lower since we don't have erroneous taxes). I suppose things work themselves out in the end. God must have a plan.

Congrats on the new home. We decided to look elsewhere too after much debate between Lennar and other builders in the area we were looking. We decided to look at another community opposite where we live today off Eldorado and landed a new build with Beazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new home. We decided to look elsewhere too after much debate between Lennar and other builders in the area we were looking. We decided to look at another community opposite where we live today off Eldorado and landed a new build with Beazer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! We are pretty close to Eldorado as well(Heights at Westridge). As a surprise to me, there are still a few homes being built in our subdivision by K.Hovanian and American Legend. Not too familiar with Beazer, but still encourage you to watch them closely and develop a relationship with the construction manager(if possible). I think you made the right call though, as your property taxes will likely be lower and you're probably zoned for better schools.