fav Adult only all inclusive iRiviera maya

This one is great. It's the price range of the Secrets Moroma beach and Eldorado Moroma. They all run 3200 for 4 nights. flights..and ocean view

I am also looking for comparisons of Eldorado Royale or the Royal at Playa del Carmen

roberts933

Bronze Member
We stayed at the Eldorado Royale last April and it was fantastic. The Asian fusion restaurant was our favorite. It was very clean, we felt very safe and the beaches were beautiful.

kenny6

Gold Member
Check out Valentin Imperial. We were suppose to go last year but had to cancel last minute. Some good friends stayed there and said it was great.

We stayed at Secrets in Riveria Maya about 5 years ago and LOVED IT. The room was beautiful, service was great. The pool had plenty of seats and the food was amazing. It is not one of those huge "mega resorts" so you can walk all over and get a pool chair with no trouble.
They also had some great entertainment. One night 2 guitarists did a small concert by Tiki torches on the beach that is still one of our favorite "concerts".
Enjoy your trip....every parent needs a short "getaway" without the kiddos.

We have been to Eldorado Royale - liked it but it definitely has a "class" system and I don't care for the resorts that require you to book dinner reservations in advance. I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it on that type of vacation and reservations at a restaurant each night feels more like a cruise (which I also don't dislike but don't love either). Some may like or even prefer the reservation style resorts, just not us.

We have also been to Valentin Imperial Maya (Playa Del Secreto) - loved it and are going back again in 1.5 weeks. Food, drinks and service was fantastic and the beach is big and beautiful several different pools with different crowd types to choose from. No reservations required at restaurants. We also like it because from airport to resort you are only in the transfer vehicle for about 20 to 30 minutes - so, it is close to Cancun but decidedly NOT Cancun. I always feel sorry for the folks going to Playa Del Carmen or even further.

Geck

Platinum Member
Just got back from a long weekend at the Secrets Silversands in Cancun. 50th birthday party for a friend of our. never did an all inclusive before. The hotel is adults only. It was great and everyone had a blast. The food was very good and i'm very particular on food. The bar had all upscale drinks and best of all. No kids allowed on property. The staff was very attentive and friendly. The only draw back which didn't bother us but might others is they have a rocky beach so if your going to be surfing wading hanging out in the surf it might not be for you. The beach area with the sand was fine just a lot of rocks getting into the water. We hung out at the swim up bar mainly. Highly recommend and would return.

We have been to the Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM), The Royal Playa del Carmen and Secrets Maroma Beach, as well as a few other AI that were not adult only. Our favorite hands down was EMP. The other 2 were not even a close second. Service and food were much better at EPM. We have never been to a resort that we were treated so good. The only negatives I could say about EPM is the bed was hard, but we did ask for a mattress topper which really helped and the beach was not as pretty as the other 2 resorts.

Our first trip to an AI was at The Royal, so we didn't have anything else to compare it to at the time. The food was good, but not great. Our "ocean view" had no view at all of the ocean. At check in, they kept trying to up sell us a better room They kept saying the only room they had left in the resort was not good. After much discussion, a room that we reserved magically appeared, minus the view. We thought we would go back to The Royal, but got a better deal at EPM.

We went to Secrets last fall and thought it was very overrated. The food was the worst of all three resorts. We also had the worst service of all 3 resorts. This was not just once or twice, but throughout the resort. I complained to a manager about the crappy service we received at the cabana we paid for and nothing was done. (I am very low maintenance especially on vacation, so I was not being demanding.) However, the beds at Secrets were the most comfortable. Another positive was the other guests at Secrets seemed the friendliest. We had a lot of fun at the swim up bar meeting people from all over the world.

Hopefully, some of that helps. :breakdance: Have fun on your trip!

We have been to the Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM), The Royal Playa del Carmen and Secrets Maroma Beach, as well as a few other AI that were not adult only. Our favorite hands down was EMP. The other 2 were not even a close second. Service and food were much better at EPM. We have never been to a resort that we were treated so good. The only negatives I could say about EPM is the bed was hard, but we did ask for a mattress topper which really helped and the beach was not as pretty as the other 2 resorts.

Our first trip to an AI was at The Royal, so we didn't have anything else to compare it to at the time. The food was good, but not great. Our "ocean view" had no view at all of the ocean. At check in, they kept trying to up sell us a better room They kept saying the only room they had left in the resort was not good. After much discussion, a room that we reserved magically appeared, minus the view. We thought we would go back to The Royal, but got a better deal at EPM.

We went to Secrets last fall and thought it was very overrated. The food was the worst of all three resorts. We also had the worst service of all 3 resorts. This was not just once or twice, but throughout the resort. I complained to a manager about the crappy service we received at the cabana we paid for and nothing was done. (I am very low maintenance especially on vacation, so I was not being demanding.) However, the beds at Secrets were the most comfortable. Another positive was the other guests at Secrets seemed the friendliest. We had a lot of fun at the swim up bar meeting people from all over the world.

Hopefully, some of that helps. :breakdance: Have fun on your trip!

Great Review Here. Just booked prior to reading.

We have done Secret's and LOVED it.. We got down to EPM and the Royal.. the Royal fit my price point better, but I am aware of the upgrade issue, so will deal with that. Did they tell you at Checkin of the 'Room Issue?' Or did you get to your room? Any helpful Hints?

Really wanted to be down in Playa for a couple reasons, primarily meeting up with other families that are down there that weekend. However, EPM is where our Travel Agent recommended (after secrets)..

The base price at Royal was $2200, Secrets and EPM were around 2900 to 3040 depending on which direct american flight we took... Add ocean view, private transfers, and in this case, the Travel insurance, and the price was up to $3k.. the others were around $3900... so, did some mile cashing and went the lower rate this time....

AMS15

We went to Secrets Silversands in February.. LOVED it. Amazing food, rooms, services, and drinks. We loved it so much, we are now going to Secrets The Vine in August.

Make sure you differentiate between Adults Only and Couples Only. Some of the Adults only resorts allow kids over 16/18/21 etc.

When we usually go without kids we rent a house on the beach - complete privacy and relaxation. Let me know if you want any recommendations

As for resorts, the Secrets resorts are pretty nice and I have heard good things about
Tides Riviera Maya

If you don't care for swimsuits (and I think most of them are couples only and not adults only) then there is Temptation, Desire and Hidden Beach all in the Riveira Maya area except one which is in Cancun)

What is your fav AO all inclusive resort.. need a qucik getaway...

BAD.. Without kiddos

Make sure you differentiate between Adults Only and Couples Only. Some of the Adults only resorts allow kids over 16/18/21 etc.

When we usually go without kids we rent a house on the beach - complete privacy and relaxation. Let me know if you want any recommendations

As for resorts, the Secrets resorts are pretty nice and I have heard good things about
Tides Riviera Maya

If you don't care for swimsuits (and I think most of them are couples only and not adults only) then there is Temptation, Desire and Hidden Beach all in the Riveira Maya area except one which is in Cancun)
Great point... our resort is 16+ however most rooms only allow 3 guests.. some 4. i am fine with teens not with infants around the pool. Secrets maroma is very couples orientedd, just a bit our of reach this trip.

as for desires/Hidden... My wife would look good there, me... not so much. However, she is not a public gal.. so..... not going to happpen

Where did you end up booking?

Great point... our resort is 16+ however most rooms only allow 3 guests.. some 4. i am fine with teens not with infants around the pool. Secrets maroma is very couples orientedd, just a bit our of reach this trip.

as for desires/Hidden... My wife would look good there, me... not so much. However, she is not a public gal.. so..... not going to happpen