Dog left outside in this weather...

pookie

Silver Member
Seriously. My new neighbor leaves his dog(s) outside most of the time, but in this weather?
I don't know if Animal Control is open today... :(

dmp9898

Silver Member
Does the dog have shelter? I have a new neighbor also and when I have walked by her yard for the past few days I have heard 2 dogs outside and she is not home. I think she has them in a crate. I hate to welcome her to the neighborhood in a bad way but I am tempted to leave a note on her car that says Hi, I love dogs too and if I see yours outside in inclement weather I will likely call animal control. Either that or leave an old blanket on her car with a note pinned to it that says this is for the dogs and see if she takes the hint. Burns me that she has a license plate with a dog on it for animal lovers.

sundae

Gold Member
Does the dog have shelter? I have a new neighbor also and when I have walked by her yard for the past few days I have heard 2 dogs outside and she is not home. I think she has them in a crate. I hate to welcome her to the neighborhood in a bad way but I am tempted to leave a note on her car that says Hi, I love dogs too and if I see yours outside in inclement weather I will likely call animal control. Either that or leave an old blanket on her car with a note pinned to it that says this is for the dogs and see if she takes the hint. Burns me that she has a license plate with a dog on it for animal lovers.
If I am remembering correctly, a crate is not considered legal shelter (for an outside dog in inclement weather) in the eyes of animal control. Might be worth checking into.

pookie

Silver Member
The dogs are still left out and barking (yes, now at 11:21pm!). They have been left out for 2 and a half days straight and owner is not home. Poor dogs must be exhausted from the cold weather and all this barking :(

I have called Animal Control and the non-emergency PD number but nothing has been done...
When the officer came, of course, the dogs weren't barking :(

I have had it. Between the storm and the dogs barking - even with my sound machine on - I am very sleep deprived and pissed off. Some dog owners!

yep I am up here in Pa.

wondering what happened also...many years ago when I lived in Frisco my neighbor kept calling me about this dog down the way that was left behind in the garden in the snow and was the result of a divorce. I called animal control but no one came out. It was Christmas, I eventually gave into better judgment and I got it from the garden covered in ice from top to toe and literally defrosted him. A man finally showed up at my door a week later looking for the dog. That same woman and her husband told him I had picked up the dog... I have never forgotten that and have never understood why I pulled into something that ended up causing me so much trouble... I gave the dog back but I am sure it ended up in a shelter. Be careful... it is all very sad.. I am sorry you have to go thru this... I think those same people who do this to their pets are the ones that you will see who knock you for being involved. Seek help from the proper authorities again.

btw this was a affluent neighborhood... one would think they would know better.

LLB

Silver Member
wondering what happened also...many years ago when I lived in Frisco my neighbor kept calling me about this dog down the way that was left behind in the garden in the snow and was the result of a divorce. I called animal control but no one came out. It was Christmas, I eventually gave into better judgment and I got it from the garden covered in ice from top to toe and literally defrosted him. A man finally showed up at my door a week later looking for the dog. That same woman and her husband told him I had picked up the dog... I have never forgotten that and have never understood why I pulled into something that ended up causing me so much trouble... I gave the dog back but I am sure it ended up in a shelter. Be careful... it is all very sad.. I am sorry you have to go thru this... I think those same people who do this to their pets are the ones that you will see who knock you for being involved. Seek help from the proper authorities again.

btw this was a affluent neighborhood... one would think they would know better.
Wow what a crazy story but in the end you saved that poor dog from freezing to death, yes it was trouble and probably even heart breaking to have to give him back but at least you did the right thing. That dog had a few days of love that it might not have ever had, thank you!!

pookie

Silver Member
The owner has not come home yet since he left on or a day before Christmas Eve...
And yes, the dogs are still outside :( It has been at least 3 and a half days of being left outside in this freezing cold weather. I don't even know if they have food, water, or shelter. They do have porch cover but I don't think that kept them dry from the storm we had early Christmas morning.

They have not made much noise today. I think they are just too exhausted. I understand Police cannot do anything since nobody is home but I don't understand why animal control would not do anything. It is inhumane. Poor dogs. It really bothers me that someone has no problem leaving the dogs out like this. They must be cold, hungry and scared.

Last edited:
Seriously...this gets my blood boiling. I know they are new neighbors but do you or anyone else know their names or their cell phone numbers?I'm sure you are not the only neighbor bothered by this...maybe you and other neighbors can come up with some way to contact them?

pookie

Silver Member
Can you at least check to see if they have food and are doing okay? Send me the address and I will do it!! Ridiculous.
I wish I could but I really can't see.
He has 8 foot fence all around and the only gate is blocked by his car. He parked the car so close so the gate won't open. My husband has been checking on them a couple times a day but one of the dogs is very aggressive and there is no way we can get closer.

So sad! I don't understand this either. WIth so many places in Frisco that board dogs, there is no reason to leave them outside when someone goes out of town. (especially in inclement weather) Poor dogs! When I was growing up, our next door neighbors left their golden retriever outside one night and we had one of those crazy winter storms come through and the dog literally froze to death overnight. So sad!

pookie

Silver Member
We have not heard the dogs at all today and they appear to be inside. They usually start barking when they are out as soon as we step out of our garage (yes, annoying, but tolerable) but nothing today. I don't see any lights on the back side of the house but the owner may be home finally.
My husband is going to say something next time we see him. We are still a little too emotional to talk to him at this point.

No, I did not see animal control come out at all. I left them my number but they never called me either. I was very disappointed.