Dodie's ... CLOSED

Rat

Silver Member
I always thought if to be serviceable if not great La. Cooking, but it didn't do justice to the Dodie's name. Walked up for lunch and discovered it has been shut down and they're already putting a new restaurant in that space. Oh well ...

Jayhawk

Gold Member
I went there a couple months after it opened and the service was really slow and the food so-so. I never went back.

Been to the one in Allen a couple times because they have cheap beer.

bizguy

Diamond Member
went once... service was bad, bad and food was mediocre at best... usually I will give a second chance if its just one or the other - notsomuch when there was no redeeming qualities to the visit....

kenny6

Gold Member
The food wasn't good. I tried to like it several times. The last time I went I got a fried shrimp poboy. Its pretty hard to mess that up, but the shrimp tasted like nothin but iodine. I told the wife I wasnt going back.

The food at the one in Allen was horribly worse than the Frisco location. One and done there.

Would be nice if someone could open a Cajun place and do it right. I highly suspect that won't happen though. Went to NOLA once and enjoyed it. Food was pretty good. Its more of a date night place for us though. Would be nice to have a good Cajun place with a lower price point and good beer.

kenny6

Gold Member
The best Cajun food doesn't come from "high-end" places.

Hole in the wall places like Sammy's Grill on Highland Road in Baton Rouge.
If you want REAL cajun food take a trip there.
I'm on a plane to Lafayette first thing in the morning.....salivating already.

Not sure where I'm gonna go first. Arriving just in time for lunch!!! :toast:

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
I'm on a plane to Lafayette first thing in the morning.....salivating already.

Not sure where I'm gonna go first. Arriving just in time for lunch!!! :toast:

Sammy's is at the corner of Essen Lane and Highland Road.
Take a right on Highland from Essen and you can't miss it.

pearceg

Diamond Member
The best Cajun food doesn't come from "high-end" places.

Hole in the wall places like Sammy's Grill on Highland Road in Baton Rouge.
If you want REAL cajun food take a trip there.
I was thinking Rice Palace on I-10 in Crowley or any of a number of mom and pop gas stations or grocery stores that sell "hot fresh boudin."

TXJohn1117

Double Platinum
I never thought Dodie's was anywhere close to "serviceable". I guess that's because I lived in Lafayette for a few years and N.O. for a few years. I've yet to find what I would consider acceptable cajun food anywhere outside of cajun country.

We're driving to N.O. tomorrow. Will probably stop at Prejean's in Lafayette for lunch since it's on the way.

I was thinking Rice Palace on I-10 in Crowley or any of a number of mom and pop gas stations or grocery stores that sell "hot fresh boudin."

There's a Texaco station on La 1 in Port Allen that sells the best home made boudin you've ever tried.
3 minutes from I-10 on La 1 before you cross the Mississippi River bridge.

You guys are making me hungry.
I still have leftover gumbo in the fridge.

Rat

Silver Member
I've heard that it's the same owners/operators as Dodie's and they're just scrapping that concept and doing something different. I think this Dodie's was a franchise not directly involving the folks behind the original (and excellent) Lower Greenville Ave. location.

I went to Dodie's Frisco a good number of times, and on a scale of 5, I would generally rate it a 3. But the quality and consistency had slipped substantially the past year or so. I wonder if this is a Hail Mary by the owner/operators.

BTW, I tried NOLA a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. A bit higher end and chef-focused than maybe I would have liked to see. Maybe the economics of that location (e.g., lease) and limited seating of that spot demand a higher price point.

I just want a place where I can get a REAL po boy on REAL New Orleans French bread.

i use to know the family that owns Dodies. basically the dad ran the original and started branching out and giving his kids their own location and told them they could put their own stamp on it so they started changing recipes and doing their own thing

it turned out to be a mess and inconsistant and therefore lost their crowd

thats why the greenville original is still the best and tastes nothing like allen, frisco or carrollton