DirecTV Genie HD DVR Whole-Home - Need Feedback

Ray

Ladies & Gents

Anyone, had this latest technology from DIRECTV installed yet (scheduled for Sunday 2-3-2013)? Anything, I should discuss with the installer to improve performance and have you been happy or disappointed with your picture quality and ease of use?

TIA,

Ray

We have it and love it! So convenient to be able to record 5 shows at once. It's easy to use, picture quality is great too. No regrets about upgrading to this new technology.

Ladies & Gents

Anyone, had this latest technology from DIRECTV installed yet (scheduled for Sunday 2-3-2013)? Anything, I should discuss with the installer to improve performance and have you been happy or disappointed with your picture quality and ease of use?

TIA,

Ray

I would be very afraid of this new technology from DIRECTV.
I have the older model whole home DVR.
I think you should bring the newer one over here for me to try out for you.
It's much safer if you use my older one, which is tried, tested and true. ;)

planomateo

Platinum Member
Been using it for about 6 months now, best DVR yet in my opinion. I was an early adopter of the first HD DVR about 7 years ago with DirecTV.

Like the storage, ability to record 5 shows at the same time. Took me a few phone calls, but I got DirecTV to give me a deal I couldn't refuse to upgrade.

Been using it for about 6 months now, best DVR yet in my opinion. I was an early adopter of the first HD DVR about 7 years ago with DirecTV.

Like the storage, ability to record 5 shows at the same time. Took me a few phone calls, but I got DirecTV to give me a deal I couldn't refuse to upgrade.
Hey, Plano... mind sharing the details on your deal? Looking to update my HD DVRs.

I called to get the genie, all ready have DTV, and was told it would be $200 to install, equipment included. I was shocked as they had all ready wired my whole house when I moved in.

In the end I was offered a 2nd HDDvr foe free, already have one. Now we can record 4 shows at once. It didn't cost me a thing.

arhouck

We like it and the only issue we had was that one HD receivers (1 of 3 not the DVR) would pause/freeze during playback of recorded shows. It had to be replaced at a cost of $20 shipping and handling. The only other thing I don't like is that to watch a VOD movie, you have to authorize it from the Genie.

planomateo

Platinum Member
Hey, Plano... mind sharing the details on your deal? Looking to update my HD DVRs.
I'm going off memory, so could be a little off with this.

I was paying way too much on TV a month, all the channels, 3 DVR's. So I called them and told them I wanted to downsize a bit.

I dropped down - not getting any movie channels - I'm downloading all the shows I care about now via torrents from the pay channels. They gave me $30 off for 12 months, $99 HR34, a new DVR, and a regular receiver (regret getting just a regular receiver as you can't pause TV). They also gave me a new dish. Want to say I got all of this for like $99 - they originally wanted like $300-$500 or something. Friend at work followed my lead and got a better deal with my info.

Ladies & Gents

TIA,

Ray
I just got mine a few weeks ago and am very happy. Currently i have the HR34 (Genie), 3 HD2X DVRs, and one C31 (Genie client). Since I have had the protection plan for over a year, I got the upgrade for free. The Genie software still needs some work, but it is coming along. Picture quality on the Genie or client is exactly the same as any other receiver.

same here - we have the protection plan so upgrade was free.
The HR34 doesnt have Toslink out like the HR21 HD DVR.
Only 1 HDMI out so its dedicated to the monitor which leaves only L-R stereo to the surround system.
Best picture is still 1080i.