Deadspin posts Frisco U6 football team video

Piiilot

Platinum Member
http://deadspin.com/5842455/hit-em-...ows-why-football-wont-be-getting-less-violent

Making fun of the irony in coaching the kids to hit their opponents in the face" and then holding a prayer circle.
This is crazy - but even crazier is one of our City Council Memeber is one fo the coaches of this team. From looking at Cheney, and this coach there is no way either one of them played real football. I cannot believe anyone would talk to 6 year old kids like this - in a FLAG football game !!!!!!!
Black eye for FFL, Black eye for Cheney, and great comedy from this moron of a person impersonating a coach.

hockeymom

Diamond Member
I saw it on the news tonight...kinda embarrassing black eye for the city & FFL! Why in the world a coach would say something like that...especially to a group of young kids....AND while being taped is beyond me! Whether he meant it or not is irrelevant, IMO.

If this suprises you, then you guys must not have young children in sports activities. This is common, and one of several reasons my children do not consistently play in these organized sporting activities at such a young age. I wish they could, but generally the adults try to make it too competitive at too young of an age. Even the so called "Christian" organized events where it's supposedly for fun and created to allow equal opportunities are littered with ego-driven adults that ruin it.

If you think this is bad, then just go watch a few practices of actual tackle football for 8 year olds. I could not believe what parents are willing to allow their child go through all in the hopes that they can one day pound their chest and say "that's MY child who scored that touchdown".

TPW

Diamond Member
And people wonder why MS and HS coaches hate when kids come from FFL? Here is a prime example....coaches without a clue. It's obvious this guy is more about winning than he is about teaching the kids the fundamentals of the game and more importantly good sportsmanship.

I can maybe see that the guys was not literally saying to hit them in the mouth but they are 6 for goodness sake they don't understand figurative speech. What a tool....

Born 2 Shop

Admin
Staff member
See this is what happens when you only see a 5 sec clip. You don't see the part where he corrected himself...and you don't know that the week before one of our players had to leave the game b/c he was slammed to the ground and had bloody nose and that is where it came from. You know that it was our head coach that ran out there and picked him up and carted him off the field. I understand that he misspoke and he will be the first to admit and corrected himself...but these people that have done this hate our team and are doing it out of spite not concern for any of these kids. Our kids absolutely know the fundamentals of the game and would never push anyone in the face. I know you only want to see what you want to see but i will defend this team and this coach b/c it is a great team with good parents and coaches...

Real Estate Guy

Admin
Staff member
All of the parents of the team would walk through fire to support our coach. A parent from other team hacked our facebook page, without consent, to splice the video. The coach had the line on his mind because the coaches had just finished talking about how one of our players was punched in the face the week before and got a bloody nose. One of the kids actually corrected the coach because they have been taught the right way to play for 2 years. The coach immediately corrected himself to the kids as well as later off video. The coach apologized to the league for the slip of the tongue and the issue was done. I suppose the other team's parent did not like that answer and so instead had started a personal smear campaign against one of the true good coaches in the league.

With all of the cursing, cheating, and other things that happens in youth sports, we are thrilled to have such a good coach and I support him 100%. I think it is sad that someone is using our kids and parents to fulfill their personal agenda. Every parent and coach on the team love the coach and all of the kids play on any other team he will coach. One parent almost did not accept a job transfer to stay on the team.

Why another parent not on our team is so concerned about our team is beyond me. However, all of the parents support him as does the league and all of the other coaches I have spoken to.

here is the official statement from the league:

The FFL Board of Directors is aware of this video from 3 weeks ago. We have reviewed it and responded to a small number of inquiries from parents not associated with this particular team. While we don't disagree that this could be construed as "over the top," we don't believe the coach was being literal or malicious in his intent. We believe that this has been taken out of context and an attempt made to blow this out of proportion. Regardless, we have addressed the situation with the coach and considered this matter closed weeks ago.

lucas mccain

Triple Platinum
It's a shame. What's worse is that WFAA aired this as a lead story.
True. Slow news day.
It may take awhile, but eventually people will learn to take these types of "video evidence" with caution. I equate it to gossip.

Sometimes we choose to take offense because it may be something we are passionate about, even without knowing all the facts as in this case I'm sure. If this coach had a reputation of bad sportsman like coaching, this video would be relevant.

To the OP, it does seem a little odd that after telling the kids to "hit em in the chest, take em out" it is followed up with a prayer. But most rational people know this is merely motivational football talk. (I wonder if the Roman gladiators had a prayer before entering the Coliseum).

The real offense to me was that assistant coach with the red hair.
Someone should tell him to let those legs see the sun every once in a while!!!
Those twigs were blinding!

I'm the first to say that no parent on that team needs to yank their kid off it or anything extreme. However, I am disappointed in parents and the league not taking a stronger stance against the words that were used. I don't get the argument that one of the kids on the team got hurt last time so the coach was trying to fire them up in this game. I would be furious if those words were said to my child, no matter the context. Where is the sportsmanship in telling that to anyone, let alone 6 yr olds? Maybe if we as adults teach our children differently, that way of playing wouldn't be considered the norm.

Real Estate Guy

Admin
Staff member
I'm the first to say that no parent on that team needs to yank their kid off it or anything extreme. However, I am disappointed in parents and the league not taking a stronger stance against the words that were used. I don't get the argument that one of the kids on the team got hurt last time so the coach was trying to fire them up in this game. I would be furious if those words were said to my child, no matter the context. Where is the sportsmanship in telling that to anyone, let alone 6 yr olds? Maybe if we as adults teach our children differently, that way of playing wouldn't be considered the norm.
the coach mispoke. He did not mean to say it, it was on his mind. He corrected the kids within 3 seconds of saying it and again later. He apologized to the league and the parents. He has coach these kids for 2 years and has never said anything like that. It was an accident that has been blown way out of control by someone with an agenda. The FFL press release says essentially the same thing