Computer Safety

BeerGirl

Diamond Member
I know there has been a thread, but I cannot manage to find it. My son got his first laptop and we're looking for some sort of software to monitor his activity. We looked at the parental controls that came on the laptop and weren't impressed. Recommendations?

Opus

Silver Member
I use the Norton Family Security software below. I tried the Microsoft version but I ran into problems with it not allowing him to install games. This one allows you to shut it down during certain times and monitor time based on actual usage vs just the computer being on. Also monitors sites. The whole website blocking can be a pain. I know last year my son was doing a paper on some mythological creature and Norton kept blocking all the sites he tried to go to for research. Other than that I've been very happy with it. I use the free version. Also, I find the phone app to be useless since you can't really use it to make changes, such as adjust the computer usage.

https://onlinefamily.norton.com/familysafety/loginStart.fs

What I need now is a way to block MAC addresses thru my router during certain times. That way my kids can't wake up in the middle of night and play the xbox or ipod online.

dmp9898

Silver Member
How old is he? My brother works for a company called Zoodles. They do software for parents/schools etc the helps to provide a kid safe mode for every device out there.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
How old is he? My brother works for a company called Zoodles. They do software for parents/schools etc the helps to provide a kid safe mode for every device out there.
We actually use Zoodles on the Tablets. Pretty Cool.

We use Microsoft's Family Safety filter for the computers. fss.live.com

It can do a bunch of filtering and reports back to you. You can also approve and make changes anywhere so if you are at work, you can allow certain sites one time, or all the time and it will update the protected computer pretty quickly.

It's also free.

BeerGirl

Diamond Member
Thanks guys! He is eleven. At this point we aren't worried about what he is doing, but we want to have everything in place and him used to the idea that we can see what he has been doing. He already has an iPod and we don't really keep tabs on his Internet use, but he mostly plays games on it. We want him to be able to download games and search for things, so we don't want just a white list of the sites he can be on.