Commute time to Richardson

kelbeltx

I'm starting back to work full time on Monday. I'll be going to Richardson, near Bush and Custer. How long, on average, does it take you to get to that area from Frisco? The first couple months will be an 8-5 schedule. TIA!

I'm starting back to work full time on Monday. I'll be going to Richardson, near Bush and Custer. How long, on average, does it take you to get to that area from Frisco? The first couple months will be an 8-5 schedule. TIA!
Which part of Frisco? Are you using the tollway? If it's somewhere I haven't driven before I go to either yahoo or google maps and get an approximate travel time then I add 15 minutes to that.

dmp9898

Silver Member
FYI - Custer and Spring Creek is still under construction. That whole intersection is a mess and you will want to avoid it if possible. Independence has the Plano police by the library between Spring Creek and Legacy. Independence also gets into the residential areas and goes down to 25 miles an hour even without school zones. School zones all over the place on Alma, Custer and Independence. Depending on where you are you may want to consider Plano parkway. Many ways to get where you are, you'll have to time and track the best.

kelbeltx

I'll be getting on the tollway at El Dorado. I live in Little Elm (gasp! lol). I googled it, but wanted to hear some personal experiences. Google has me going Tollway to Bush... sounds like other options might be better though...I'm returning to work after 9 years as as SAHM/WAHM, so I haven't commuted in years.

Last edited:

pearceg

Diamond Member
I used to work in the Nortel tower at 75 and Campbell. From SE Frisco, it's 30 minutes on a weekend or in the middle of the night. During normal driving times, 45 minutes as long as there were no incidents on 75.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
I'll be getting on the tollway at El Dorado. I live in Little Elm (gasp! lol). I googled it, but wanted to hear some personal experiences. Google has me going Tollway to Bush... sounds like other options might be better though...I'm returning to work after 9 years as as SAHM/WAHM, so I haven't commuted in years.
When we first moved to the area I was making that drive everyday. That was just before the tollway extended past 121. If you have a way to shift your schedule earlier, do it. You'll be 1000x happier. What you'll find going in at 8 is that you'll drive 70mph down to about Parker, then crawl along at about 10mph the last two miles to the Bush exit. Then 70mph down Bush to the Custer exit.

RockLil

I make the commute daily from Preston and 1461 in Prosper to intersection of Custer and Renner. Leave the house at 6:35, 1461 to Custer, and am in the office by 7:15 - very predictable. Spring Creek isn't an issue in the morning, but can be after 5.

We live in West Frisco right off Eldorado. I work in Richardson - right off Galatyn which is the very 1st exit off of
75. I take Eldorado to the tollway, tollway to George Bush and Bush to 75.I am barely on 75 as I take the very 1st exit. I generally work 7:00-4:00 where traffic is much better - those hours the commute is about 30 minutes. If you are working closer to 8:00, then a minimum of 45 minutes depending on where you work in Richardson. I left later today, about 7:30 and it took me an hour to get to work.

Coachrex was pretty much spot on...

Thanks everyone for the advice! Today I tried the tollway, but there was an accident, so I cut over to Preston. An accident happened right next to me and their bumper flew across the lane right in front of me.. so that was a little crazy! lol.

SkiBum

Platinum Member
closer to the 45 minutes that coach said - lots of school zones between here and there....
This! There are a LOT of school zones on Custer between Frisco and G. Bush. I live just south of 121 off McDermott and I started taking McDermott to 75 just to avoid the school zones. It is actually faster for me - I'm going to G. Bush/75 area for work.

Also concider getting off Dallas Tollway at Spring Creek and going down Parkwood. I do this daily and you are out of the bumper to bumper and you save money at the same time. Right around 7:45 the tollway gets backed up at Spring Creek.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
This! There are a LOT of school zones on Custer between Frisco and G. Bush. I live just south of 121 off McDermott and I started taking McDermott to 75 just to avoid the school zones. It is actually faster for me - I'm going to G. Bush/75 area for work.
Huh?!? I drive Custer from Eldorado to G. Bush everyday. The only school zone in there is the Plano middle school between 15th and Plano Pkwy.

SkiBum

Platinum Member
Huh?!? I drive Custer from Eldorado to G. Bush everyday. The only school zone in there is the Plano middle school between 15th and Plano Pkwy.
Maybe I'm wrong and thinking of Alma or Independence. That whole square of Plano, though, has so many school zones. I only hit one on McDermott then smooth sailing.

dmp9898

Silver Member
Maybe I'm wrong and thinking of Alma or Independence. That whole square of Plano, though, has so many school zones. I only hit one on McDermott then smooth sailing.
Likely Independence. Alma is under construction and I may have to find a new route and I leave at 5:30am. I am usually the only car on the road but Alma is so torn up between Legacy/Spring Creek and Parker I may think about avoiding it altogether.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
Probably Independence. Seems like half the schools in Plano and Frisco are all on Independence.

Green225

Platinum Member
I used Alma out of McKinney down to E. Park last week and hit at least 5-6 school zones. Thought it would be faster than Custer, but ended up taking 7-10 minutes longer.

Wow, the difference a couple minutes can make. If I leave at 5:00 on the dot, I don't hit nearly as much traffic if I leave at 5:03. It's crazy@