Communist graduates from West Point

stryker

Then he is simply a naive child and you advocating for him to essentially be fined $200k for his political beliefs is kinda cruel. We all are still politically confused when were young trying to investigate and decide where we stand on the issues. Wearing Che Guevara shirts in college his hardly a reason to punish him. Him being called a disgrace and imbecile by people in this thread is laughable. We all held dumb beliefs when we were younger. I mean heck, I used to be a Fox News conservative until I graduated and started thinking for myself.
You can have all the beliefs you want when you are not in uniform, but the second you put it on your personal beliefs are gone. If you are an officer you are there to lead, not express personal beliefs that may go against the majority. You are suppose to be a stigma of professionalism who has peoples live in their hand. If your men below dont trust or disagree with something as politically hot as communism than you have no hope to have a successful plt. He was taught that and completely disobeyed it, and that is why he is a disgrace.

His beliefs would be grounds for immediate termination from the Lab here at Los Alamos. Keep in mind Military Officers have at least a Secret Clearance and often Top Secret clearance. Ironically Robert Oppenheimer and many other key scientists on the Manhattan project were either stated communists or had communist ties. One famous Scientist - Fuchs a known as a communist but was granted a clearance for the project from ranking Project members in Brittian - essentially gave the plans for the Fat boy implosion nuclear device to the Russians. That began a nuclear arms race between the US and Soviet Union that lasted decades.

Len_A

Bronze Member
He got off easy. Based on discharge status they can and should seek repayment for his free tuition.

Moron. He took a valuable spot from a more deserving kid.
This liberal couldn't agree with you more. And it should be treated as if it was a student loan, and not discharged in bankruptcy. He's an idiot, and to have studied, trained and graduated from any of our Military Academies, makes him a hypocrite.
Yes I think it's cruel to essentially fine him $200,000 for having political beliefs simply because they fall outside the mainstream. He didn't do anything violent or advocate that others do, he didn't flunk out of his classes, commit a felony or anything I can think of that would even remotely justify him being placed under that financial burden.

His discharge is entirely justified given the difference between the rights civilians have vs the rights (or lack thereof) that military members have. I disagree strongly with this and all arguments I've heard involving hierarchy and cohesion haven't remotely convinced me that we should have such a stark distinction between military and civilian law but that's another topic entirely.
Are you freaking kidding me? You're so wrong, I don't even know where to begin.

Any publicly stated political beliefs that run contrary to the traditions and stated values of the armed forces are grounds for discharge, period.

And "all arguments (you've) heard involving hierarchy and cohesion haven't remotely convinced me that we should have such a stark distinction between military and civilian law"? It's called, as a member of the military, being an operator, not a policy maker. You follow lawful orders, not run around voicing your opinion.

As I said this is another topic entirely. I staunchly disagree with any sentiment that says to shut your mind off and obey but this thread isn't about that.

As far as the kid goes I'll repeat that his discharge was not out of line. My annoyance is instead with everyone almost giddy to saddle him with $200,000 in debt because of his naive beliefs. He hopefully received a quality education and can go on to contribute to society and in doing so maybe he'll grow up a bit and understand the implications of different government policies.

Len_A

Bronze Member
As I said this is another topic entirely. I staunchly disagree with any sentiment that says to shut your mind off and obey but this thread isn't about that.

As far as the kid goes I'll repeat that his discharge was not out of line. My annoyance is instead with everyone almost giddy to saddle him with $200,000 in debt because of his naive beliefs. He hopefully received a quality education and can go on to contribute to society and in doing so maybe he'll grow up a bit and understand the implications of different government policies.
If he had those beliefs, then going to a military academy wasn't a great idea.