Collin county cad

brianw76

Silver Member
Just spent another 10 mins at the Collin CAD today going the informal dispute. They wanted 15% increase, but could only do 10%, I found a similar house sale in my neighborhood thanks to a realtor that I was able to leverage. I actually got it lower than I was targeting. Dropped my increase down to ~6% (should save me ~$400 this year in taxes).

I'm happy, simple to go the informal protest route.
I think this is exactly what they want. They claim it is worth an absurd amount more without any reference, and then when it "only" increases 6% instead you think you saved money whereas you are paying more than you were last year, just feel better about it.

planomateo

Platinum Member
I think this is exactly what they want. They claim it is worth an absurd amount more without any reference, and then when it "only" increases 6% instead you think you saved money whereas you are paying more than you were last year, just feel better about it.
Perhaps, what percentage of county residents do you think actually dispute their values?

brianw76

Silver Member
Perhaps, what percentage of county residents do you think actually dispute their values?
If I had to guess I would say less than 15%. This is how the prices get so high, and so difficult to dispute. Sale values aren't publicly available and aren't used in the appraisals unless someone submits that as proof of value (like I had to do when they said my house was worth $50k more than I paid for it earlier that year).

SandMan

Silver Member
I went to Denton CAD today and waited 4 minutes to get a $20K drop in value, thanks to their Queless system. Without using that system it was a 3 hour wait.

Anyone been to Collin County CAD this week? I have to go there on Friday for a different property and wondering if I am going to have a super long wait - I don't think they let you get in line before you get there, right? I'm looking for a much bigger drop so I'm going to have to wait for however long it takes.

brianw76

Silver Member
This article indicates that those numbers I quoted are way off. But 10-15% is still low, not sure how many of those would be exempt due to over 65.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/...2-35k-file-to-protest-property-tax-values.ece
Yep, that's a little closer to what I was thinking. But maybe it is higher than usual due to the large amount of across the board increases this year (tackled on to the last couple of years)?

I would take the money today if someone cut me a check for the amount they claim my house is worth, I wouldn't hesitate for a second!