Collin county cad

Yay. Went down 3%. Still caught with last years HS Cap Loss but glad to see drop.
Not sure why but mine dropped as well .. save just over $118 on my next tax bill :) Personally I thought last years appraised value was a pipe dream but I was fighting other personal battles at the time and didn't have it in me to argue with the County about it. I'm happy and will :toast: to that!.

I see your point but when have taxes ever gone down. Not sure if it is still true but people used to move every 5 years so most people would be paying taxes on an appraisal that hasn't had the 10% increase for years on end.
2008, 2009.. down down down..

Jayhawk

Gold Member
2008, 2009.. down down down..
But the point I was replying to was that they should being going down so as to be nearly revenue neutral for the homeowner. That will not happen.

I appreciate what the city is doing with our funds. I am not complaining much because I know what my house is worth and will pay taxes on that. I may protest it but I doubt it will help. My actual appraised value is way more than my taxed value and that will suck for whoever buys my it when I decide to sell it.

Brian

Diamond Member
all you cry babies have yet to go on FB and complain to the city.. where people actually read things. They want to spend more .. and now FISD wants to raise rates because of state cuts.

Go Jerry Jones... yeah that Star was supposed to be the game changer! hahahaha

Brian

Diamond Member
I got another 10% increase just like last 2 years. My value is still at least 75-80k below actual market value though. Thank goodness for the 10% cap or I'd be paying another $2500 per year.

Crazy. My market value is up about 70% of what i paid in '09.
You paid 200k and now it is 340k
You paid 300k and now it is 510k

uh really... I would really like to see it... can you post a picture of just the appraisal increases (you can hide your address). I think the are out to get you!

Not really sure what you are talking about. Property taxes are a way of life and how the state runs. If you cannot afford the property tax then you are living in a too expensive of a home. I support an idea of freezing property taxes for senior citizens.

Taxes when you sell? Only if you plan to take a cap gain and I know of few people that do that.
If I calculated the property taxes before I bought my home and then the "value" of my property doubled then no, that is not me being irresponsible. It's easy to say move but when you have kids, it is pretty hard to move to someplace with lower values (does that even exist in DFW anymore) and horrible schools. I am fortunate that I can afford it but I think freezing the value at the time of purchase could make sense.

bizguy

Diamond Member
If I calculated the property taxes before I bought my home and then the "value" of my property doubled then no, that is not me being irresponsible. It's easy to say move but when you have kids, it is pretty hard to move to someplace with lower values (does that even exist in DFW anymore) and horrible schools. I am fortunate that I can afford it but I think freezing the value at the time of purchase could make sense.
nope, that immobilizes people and jacks up the housing market badly.. CA tried that it backfired badly. The key is that governmental entities need to move rates down as appraisals go up so as to normalize budgets to increase no more than than the rate of inflation. When the city of Frisco realized the budget windfall last year due to the jump in property values they managed to find a way to spend every last cent of the increase. Much of it on new administrative positions all the while the council and their fan boi base back slapped each other and crowed about how they were good and did not raise rates...

That is harder though because you have to rely on government officials to lower the rate. I agree that would be better in a world where people who work for the government are honest and competent.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bizguy

Diamond Member
That is harder though because you have to rely on government officials to lower the rate. I agree that would be better in a world where people who work for the government are honest and competent.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
we do elect them.... an election comes around at least every other year... :)

kenny6

Gold Member
You paid 200k and now it is 340k
You paid 300k and now it is 510k

uh really... I would really like to see it... can you post a picture of just the appraisal increases (you can hide your address). I think the are out to get you!
I said market value not tax appraisal.

I paid about $82/sq ft and houses are selling easily for $140/ sq ft in my neighborhood.
The tax appraisal value is up a little over 40% since '09. Actual market value about 70% up.

Reading is fundamental. If you could comprehend the rest of my post you would see that I said I was lucky the tax appraisal was capped at 10% yr. But you should already know that too.

I don't know why you are so angry all the time. :shrug: Maybe if you calmed down your reading comprehension would be better.

Last edited:
If only people cared as much about local elections as they do about bathrooms... :p At least I will say that I feel like I get more for my tax money living in Plano than I did in Frisco though my house isn't as nice as the one I had in Frisco.

Mom+4

Silver Member
we do elect them.... an election comes around at least every other year... :)
People actually have to run against them. This is the first election in years that we actually had viable candidates to choose from.

1 election was cancelled because of no contenders. And the last one against Bob Allen -- well, I said "viable candidates".

I did not have HS exemption the last 2 years 'cause my house was rented out. My tax increase last year was 18%. This year I'm back with HS and my appraisal dropped .02%. I was shocked to see it go down, but woot woot.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
I paid 215k for my first house in Frisco 2004, sold it for 240k in 2012.. I checked the CAD on it, over 340k now..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

planomateo

Platinum Member
Last year the informal route worked well for me. Informal being you just walk in and talk with them, I was prepared (not as much as I should have been) and I got $25k in savings.

This took me about 10 mins or so at the Collin CAD.
Just spent another 10 mins at the Collin CAD today going the informal dispute. They wanted 15% increase, but could only do 10%, I found a similar house sale in my neighborhood thanks to a realtor that I was able to leverage. I actually got it lower than I was targeting. Dropped my increase down to ~6% (should save me ~$400 this year in taxes).

I'm happy, simple to go the informal protest route.