Collin county cad

kenny6

Gold Member
Yea, my mortgage is getting close to $300/mth over what it was when i bought the house in 09.
I don't remember what the exact payment was 7 years ago, I'd have to look it up but that is not really what I was expecting when I bought another house in "affordable" North Texas.

I was in my house in Plano for 8 yrs and it only appreciated about 12% in those 8 yrs. My current house has gone up around 70% in 7 years according to comps in the neighborhood. That is nuts.

Londoner

Platinum Member
can't wait to see mine... just paid $2000 to my escrow company to cover shortage from last year, and on top of that, our monthly payment went up another $150 or so... at some point, it's gotta stop, right?

planomateo

Platinum Member
seeing as the effective property tax rate in Collin county is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.13% can anyone tell me what a 10% increase does as far as the increase in property taxes per year. Everybody was so quick to run in and protest but when i did the mill rate calculation one year i think the difference in property tax payments monthly was like $8 or something like that.

I still would be rather pay higher property taxes than pay a state income tax but that is just me.
Frisco property taxes are 2.23%, so $10k in valuation increase is $223 in additional property taxes.

can't wait to see mine... just paid $2000 to my escrow company to cover shortage from last year, and on top of that, our monthly payment went up another $150 or so... at some point, it's gotta stop, right?
I don't escrow my taxes for this reason.. But hated it when I did..
Add in the increasing cost of insurance...

Yowser..

mommy22

Bronze Member
Denton slapped me with 10% exactly... Thanks for posting this- haven't received the mail version yet but have to start the annual 'protest dance' which has always helped but geez clearly they're counting on folks missing the deadline...

whatsthat

Diamond Member
its got to stop at some point.

Incomes are not going up 10% on average annually.

Texas will have to reform Taxes at some point.

So I just went and looked at mine, and it no longer shows I have a HS Excemption. Just called them up and they see something is screwed up. If not for this thread I probably wouldn't have caught their error. We're talking about a difference of about 30k in taxable value.

bizguy

Diamond Member
its got to stop at some point.

Incomes are not going up 10% on average annually.

Texas will have to reform Taxes at some point.
maybe, maybe not... the total tax bill is still cheaper than a lot of other states. I think we rank slightly better than average...

Skeeter

Platinum Member
I still would be rather pay higher property taxes than pay a state income tax but that is just me.
I thought the same way until I moved to Alabama. My property taxes are $650 a year. My state income tax can only be raised by elected officials, not by some appointed bureaucrats that will never buy your house for what they think it is worth. Texas is making it real hard for me to be able to afford to move back after I retire.

Plus if you lose your job in Texas, you still owe the property tax. Same in Alabama, but $650 a year is a lot easier to come up with than the $3000 I was paying in Texas.

mommy22

Bronze Member
I thought the same way until I moved to Alabama. My property taxes are $650 a year. My state income tax can only be raised by elected officials, not by some appointed bureaucrats that will never buy your house for what they think it is worth. Texas is making it real hard for me to be able to afford to move back after I retire.

Plus if you lose your job in Texas, you still owe the property tax. Same in Alabama, but $650 a year is a lot easier to come up with than the $3000 I was paying in Texas.

I used to live there- gotta admit sending your kids to public school in Montgomery isn't the same as Frisco. Back in the early 90s my little house cost me $325/yr in taxes.... here $14k.... OUCH! I would like to retire here but can't see being able to pay this much in taxes even when we finish paying the mortgage...

whatsthat

Diamond Member
maybe, maybe not... the total tax bill is still cheaper than a lot of other states. I think we rank slightly better than average...
you can check me on this...but I read last week Texas is in the top 12 of the most taxed states.

I will try to find the article

bizguy

Diamond Member
you can check me on this...but I read last week Texas is in the top 12 of the most taxed states.

I will try to find the article
i saw an article today that was overall tax burden it was 27th... have to look at the whole picture, not just property taxes.. for instance, OK has much lower property taxes but has a state income tax as well as a personal property tax on vehicles.

I've come to think that property taxes are probably the most fair, as you can choose how big a house and where to live. Income taxes punish productivity and sales taxes punish consumption (not to mention sales tax is a regressive tax that punishes those at the lowest income levels).

What we need is for a number of us to show up next time the city council is approving tax rates and make a stink about them not being lowered.... The way I see it, the city is probably due a 3% annual increase in the actual taxes I pay to match inflation so the city tax rate should probably go down like 5% this year. Last year they just found ways to spend all the extra cash that came in on some new police and fire admin positions....

as for ISD rates - that's a much more sticky wicket due to Robin Hood funding take backs and state legislature funding sources....