Collin county cad

kenny6

Gold Member
I got another 10% increase just like last 2 years. My value is still at least 75-80k below actual market value though. Thank goodness for the 10% cap or I'd be paying another $2500 per year.

Crazy. My market value is up about 70% of what i paid in '09.

20% increase in last two years. Congratulations FISD and City of Frisco - you are pushing out long time residents because you have not lowered rates despite 20% increase on existing base. This is not sustainable. I know my salary has not gone up 20% whichs means less disposable income.

I know people on fixed incomes that are struggling to keep up with skyrocketing property taxes. The taxes entities need to do better and make significant effort to lower rates.

Last edited:

planomateo

Platinum Member
Got the max 10% as well, CAD is losing 5% due to the HS Cap Loss (poor guys).

Gonna have to figure out how I dispute the 10% this year. I did it last year, but I had some really good data that helped me. Thinking it's going to be tough to accomplish due to the sales in the general area.

zubie75082

Silver Member
Preliminary value shown on DCAD is up 18.9% from last year. Why post that if it's going to be capped at 10%? To give me a heart attack?

planomateo

Platinum Member
Preliminary value shown on DCAD is up 18.9% from last year. Why post that if it's going to be capped at 10%? To give me a heart attack?
For all those people who don't have HS exemption, I'm sure we'd be surprised to know how many people who don't have it and are eligible for it. That HS exemption is what caps the increase at 10%.

zubie75082

Silver Member
For all those people who don't have HS exemption, I'm sure we'd be surprised to know how many people who don't have it and are eligible for it. That HS exemption is what caps the increase at 10%.
I started reviewing other appraisals in my neighborhood to gather info for my protest and was surprised to see that maybe 20% of the 100-150 I looked at did not have the exemption. Seems awfully high.

pearceg

Diamond Member
I started reviewing other appraisals in my neighborhood to gather info for my protest and was surprised to see that maybe 20% of the 100-150 I looked at did not have the exemption. Seems awfully high.
Are they owner occupied? Rent houses are not the owner's homestead.

3 years straight at 10%. My monthly payment keeps jumping. This is like owning a pro sports franchise in that the value keeps jumping and you have to wait to cash out. Except they get to sell $8 beers and $5 hot dogs to stay profitable.

brianw76

Silver Member
Mine was appraised over the 10% markup yet again so capped at 10%. Funny how I go in and fight it every year, we agree on a value much lower, and then have to go through the exact same thing. They count on homeowners being lazy..

I have my data ready to go, just hate having to miss part of my work day to go in and prove to them they are overcharging.

What are you all using to fight the value ? I assume it is not comps in the area as those would not do me any good in our neighborhood. Are you bringing estimates for specific repairs that need to be done to your home ? Just curious what you are using to be successful as I think it has to be something other than comps.

brianw76

Silver Member
What are you all using to fight the value ? I assume it is not comps in the area as those would not do me any good in our neighborhood. Are you bringing estimates for specific repairs that need to be done to your home ? Just curious what you are using to be successful as I think it has to be something other than comps.
One of the things I found is that the "Class" level of our house and several others in the neighborhood didn't match up with others. We have the exact same builder as the entire subdivision, but the house next door to me built a few months before mine was a lower "Class" than mine was even though we used the same developer/contractor/builders. For the last two years they have promised to send someone out for a walk through inspection/appraisal to justify this rating but haven't done so. Each of the last two years I've had to go in, prove why it is different, and they do a "one time only" reduction in the class that is supposed to be temporary until they can get someone on-site. This makes a considerable difference!

I also use market data/comps if I find houses that are lower price per sq/ft, repair estimates for anything attached to the house, or in my case, considerable erosion issues that affect my property.

Geck

Platinum Member
seeing as the effective property tax rate in Collin county is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.13% can anyone tell me what a 10% increase does as far as the increase in property taxes per year. Everybody was so quick to run in and protest but when i did the mill rate calculation one year i think the difference in property tax payments monthly was like $8 or something like that.

I still would be rather pay higher property taxes than pay a state income tax but that is just me.

bizguy

Diamond Member
seeing as the effective property tax rate in Collin county is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.13% can anyone tell me what a 10% increase does as far as the increase in property taxes per year. Everybody was so quick to run in and protest but when i did the mill rate calculation one year i think the difference in property tax payments monthly was like $8 or something like that.

I still would be rather pay higher property taxes than pay a state income tax but that is just me.
$30,000 increase in value = $639 more in taxes annually = $53 per month - so a bit more than $8....