cholesterol levels part 2

Tooleman

Diamond Member
A couple a months ago my Wife got her levels checked and they were amazing even after us adopting a low carb high fat diet..

So today I got mine checked, after a year of eating low carbs and high fat and losing 25 lbs my results scared the crap out of me..

My HDL and LDL were amazingly good, but my triglycerides came back at 650.. OMG that is high..

So im trying to figure this all out, I don't want to go on drugs to fix this..

Has anyone been threw this? Typically when your triglycerides are high, your LDL is also way high...... but mine were great..

I did last week go with a 5 day streak of eating steak every night for dinner, eggs and bacon for breakfast.. Maybe I over did it on the saturated fats..

andygump

Platinum Member
Cholesterol is more heredity than diet...medication can help and diet change can help. Combine the two and your numbers should drop.

sundae

Gold Member
I am going to agree that cholesterol is largely hereditary. Diet and exercise is a great way to affect the triglyceride number, but the run on high fat foods right before your blood test could have adversely affected that number, especially if you had a fatty meal the night before your bloodwork.

Also, alcohol (as was already mentioned) and smoking can adversely affect the number.

I've also read that diabetics can have high triglyceride numbers...which I found interesting in and of itself.

mikel

Platinum Member
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/15/statin-drugs-on-coronary-disease.aspx

Statins are the world's most-prescribed class of medications. A staggering one in four Americans over the age of 45 now take cholesterol-lowering drugs such as Pravachol, Mevacor, Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor, and others. A majority of them are taking these drugs for primary prevention of heart attacks and strokes.

However, mounting research suggests this could be a critical mistake.

Most recently, two separate studies have concluded that progression of coronary artery calcification, which is the hallmark of potentially lethal heart disease, is INCREASED with statin drug use.

Statins Increase Prevalence of Coronary Calcification by More than 50 Percent!

A new study in the journal Atherosclerosis1 shows that statin use is associated with a 52 percent increased prevalence and extent of calcified coronary plaque compared to non-users.
Just exercise... don't take the drugs.

sjdfw

Silver Member
I agree about it being largely hereditary. I had mine checked a long time ago and my levels were pretty high. The Dr. said I could diet and exercise, however it would only impact it so much and it would still be too high. I moved to a largely vegetarian diet about 1 1/2 yrs ago (non related to cholesterol reasons) and had been into running, doing half marathons. When I went back to have it checked, it dropped about 20 points, however was still very high.

My wife's on the other hand, has always been extremely low. When we ate meat, she did as well. When we moved to a vegetarian diet, she did too. She exercised also, not as intense as I had been. So I finally bought into the hereditary explanation.

Tooly, thanks for the chuckle by labeling 650 as "high." :) You just knocked the bell off the top of that little carnival game with the mallet!

First thing I'd do if I got something whacky is make another appointment in a few weeks or so and repeat the test. A number of things could have affected your current snapshot, so don't get too worried just yet.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
Triglycerides also have a genetic factor. My mom and dad have the same exact activity level, eat 99% of their meals the same, etc. My Mom's triglycerides are high at 400 (yours are super high) and my dad's are like 50.

You can try OTC fish oil (Omega Red or anything like that) for triglycerides. They also make a prescription strength fish oil you can get from your doctor. I'd try that first over traditional drugs. Obviously diet and exercise would help get them under control as well, but that is super high.

Did you make sure you were fasting if you were supposed to be before the blood work?

Triglycerides relate closely to calories recently consumed. I would get another test in a month or so before getting too concerned. Although your body reacted well to the diet change, you may have been consuming too many calories just prior to the test. Tri-g does not stay in your blood long before getting converted to fats. It's really a measure of the short term energies flowing through your bloodstream.

Last edited:
Triglycerides relate closely to calories recently consumed. I would get another test in a month or so before getting too concerned. Although your body reacted well to the diet change, you may have been consuming too many calories just prior to the test. Tri-g does not stay in your blood long before getting converted to fats. It's really a measure of the short term energies flowing through your bloodstream.
So, really then Tooly's results just confirm he's youthful and bursting with energy! I'd run with that one, T. It's a much more positive narrative than "dead man walking" or something. Glass half full, man!

Last edited:
I am not sure exactly which diet you are on, but restrictive diets (low carb, low fat, low calorie, etc.) can train the body into not being able to process that restricted element once it is re-introduced back into the diet. The more extreme, the weirder your body mechanisms react.

For example, you get stranded on a tropical island and can only eat Mangos and coconuts for the 4 months before being rescued. Your body has adjusted to your new diet - theoretically you could live forever on coconuts and mangos without significant impact on your longevity (which is mostly genetic). However, you celebrate you return to civilization with a nice steak, fries and hearty Temptress from lakewood brewing. Guess What?? Your blood chemistry will go BONKERS while it tries to figure out how to process all those new foods and in those supersized quantities.

Don't freak out about one blood reading, however, it might be an indication you need to increase your activity level to burn off some tri-g.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
Low carb diet, about 100g a day.. but I'm not watching my calories at all.. I eat well.. and still losing weight..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I wouldn't change a thing yet T and just retest first. If the results are similar, then think about something different perhaps. But just compare apples/apples on the next test and see where you land.

I agree about not changing anything until a second test, 100g or less of carbs is very low carb diet - below a diabetic diet of 150g. If you are seeing positive results otherwise don't get hyperfocused on tri-g.

Rooster

Silver Member
I didn't want to go on a pill either. I changed my diet, exercised, and lost a few lbs, but it didn't do squat to lower my cholesterol.

Sometimes medication is your only answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcBerg

Platinum Member
High Triglycerides are fat lipids in your blood. Not good. Was your blood pressure high too and are you carrying belly fat?

600 is HUGE. Actually, regular cardio type exercise and good eating can do wonders. If they retest and you don't improve numbers Doc may put you on a Fenofibrate which may knock it down numbers 200 if lucky. Low carb is good, but I wouldn't call 100g of breads low carb eating...Maybe 50g carbs and mostly from vegetables, good fats and lean proteins. Heavy boozing will hurt as well. Lots of beer guts walking around here which is a tell tale sign even you think your are somewhat in a good weight. Genetics also play a factor but if you don't want to get on pills, start rethinking exercise like 30 mins P90x or something.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
My blood pressure is fine, 110/70 ish.. I do have a bit of a gut, I'm 5'7 195lbs.. used to be 220 lbs before I cut the carbs.. My goal is to hit 170 and then look at things.. weird thing is my LDL isn't high..

rbrodner

Diamond Member
My blood pressure is fine, 110/70 ish.. I do have a bit of a gut, I'm 5'7 195lbs.. used to be 220 lbs before I cut the carbs.. My goal is to hit 170 and then look at things.. weird thing is my LDL isn't high..

High Triglycerides doesn't cause high LDL, it causes low HDL (which is actually a much worse problem).