Chevy Volt Drivers

LI NY hasn't adopted the Volt as much as I would have liked to have seen, but there are a few around if you really look. Imagine my surprise when I got off the plane and saw a Volt parked at DFW Airport. I was excited to see that but my excitement didn't last very long. It was the last Volt I saw during my entire 4 day trip to Dallas/Frisco/Plano.

Just wondering if anyone here drives a Volt and am curious to see how EV friendly the area is. I've seen a few charging stations on Chargepoint, are they kept in good condition?

The Volt is and will remain my daily driver but once we buy a house in a year or so I'll be picking up something to play with. I have a passion for sport(y) cars and classic muscle. I've built up quite a few imports but never really got the chance to work on a muscle car and I think that may be my next project. Something from the 80's.

Thanks!

It's Texas which is oil and gas country. In all my years living there I only saw one charging station. Don't need them because the big SUVs don't need a charge just 30 gallons of gas.

JaLynnC

Bronze Member
I drove one at the State Fair last year and thought they were really cool. It is too small for my husband (6'4" tall) but I would have considered it.

I saw one on the tollway yesterday - first one I have seen since the exhibit at the fair.

I see charging stations occasionally but not nearly enough for people to embrace the technology in Texas.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
I know there are 2 Teslas drivers by me. I have seen a few charging stations around, including by the movie theater in Frisco square. With that said, I'm sure most people have a charging station in a garage and done mess with the public charging stations.

angelaN

Platinum Member
Texas - Home of the big huge honkin' SUV. (Throw in lots of perfomance upscale sedans).

Gas will always be plentiful and the environment is ours for the raping.

As a Canadian I continue to be appalled by the excess I see here all the time.

Start the dog pile ;) I drive a Camry hybrid so I am very aware of other EV and hybrids on the road. I probably see a Volt every other day. We considered it when we bought.

I don't remember the reason we didn't get a Volt. I usually get between 45-49 miles per gallon on my car so it is a good comprimise.

I stay out of the politics form. I hope someone has more info for you but in general we are not embracing alternative forms of energy.

P.S. I am being pissy because our hot water tank started leaking and my first quote was for 2400 dollars and we are in the middle of a bathroom renovation and did I mention the holidays are coming.....

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a problem isn't it? We do our part but the power companies aren't following suit...well...sorta. The people can only do so much, the utility has to do its part as well.

Aren't there wind farms in TX? Don't some of or at least one of your power companies get most of it's electricity from wind power?

Bull_07

Platinum Member
Regarding the energy debate, the economy is not designed for people to pay more for same.
When hybrids become the same price or less than gas you will see more people buying them.
I'm not paying a $5,000 or more premium on hybrid when that $5,000 premium takes years to pay back.

Also, they don't make a good truck/minivan hybrid yet and we all love our trucks and mini vans here. If I'm dropping 30k-40k on a vehicle I'm going to make sure it can do whatever I "May" need in the next 5-10 years.

Yeah, that's a problem isn't it? We do our part but the power companies aren't following suit...well...sorta. The people can only do so much, the utility has to do its part as well.

Aren't there wind farms in TX? Don't some of or at least one of your power companies get most of it's electricity from wind power?
I am beginning to think my concern about the people leaving states with failed policies will continue seeking those same policies when they arrive in Texas.

Bull_07

Platinum Member
P.S. I am being pissy because our hot water tank started leaking and my first quote was for 2400 dollars and we are in the middle of a bathroom renovation and did I mention the holidays are coming.....
Don't worry, I'm just being pissy too because I hate seeing people say that everyone is horrible unless they drive a hybrid because I do and I'm better than everyone that doesn't. Or al least that's the attitude that comes across.

bard

Gold Member
I don't remember the reason we didn't get a Volt. I usually get between 45-49 miles per gallon on my car so it is a good comprimise.
Chevy Volt for ~$40k or Toyota Camry Hybrid for ~$35k. No idea on rebates, etc Chevy might be throwing at it, but I would go for the non Government funded one :)

pearceg

Diamond Member
Don't worry, I'm just being pissy too because I hate seeing people say that everyone is horrible unless they drive a hybrid because I do and I'm better than everyone that doesn't. Or al least that's the attitude that comes across.
Just wait until engineers actually develop the car Ed Begley Jr drove in The Simpsons, powered only by the driver's "own sense of self-satisfaction."