CarToys in Frisco, what a joke

BigVic

Bronze Member
I went into CarToys a few weeks ago to get a DVD entertainment system for my SUV. After like 10 days they never called me to tell me the system was in and to set up a installation date. So we had to call them to set up a date. We were supposed to go in tomorrow to get the installation done. My wife called them to confirm and then the sales person tells my wife, you know what I lied to you about what comes with you system. She never bothered to call us during this two week period. I think they were try to rip me off anyway, they were going to try and charge me $1700 for a dual entertainment system. I probably should have never even consider spending this much but I wanted a really good system for my car. The items they lied to me about were the head phones, they wanted to charge me an extra $120 for the head phones. The sells girl basically didn't give a sh&t and said ok I'll cancel your order. You would think after two week and the person making the mistake they would honor the price the quoted me. Oh well you live and learn.

Can anyone recommend a good place that can install DVD systems? I'm thinking about going to Best Buy and getting it installed, they told me I didn't have to buy the system from them. Can someone recommend a good system. The one I was going to buy was a Concept. Does anyone know anything about Pyle?

Sorry for the rant, I just can't believe the zero customer service these days.

coachrex75035

Platinum Member
We had a similar experience with Car Toys in Frisco and went to the location in McKinney.

Completely different result.
Same exact products, different people.

Car Toys in general is a scam. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous all the way around.

I really hope someone knows a nice mom and pop shop that would be more than happy to do it for probably half the price.

I would never take my car to car toys, best buy, or any other chain. For one, they are WAY overpriced. Second, the installers aren't that great (and sometimes horrible). Third, for custom stuff, half the time they wont do it because of liability.

If you want someone that actually knows what they are doing, and can/will do exactly what you want, how you want it, go to Garland. On the corner of Jupiter and Forest Ln there is a ghetto bazar. In the back left corner is a place called...

http://qualitysoundcaraudio.com

Probably get the same quality system for $1200 compared to $1700 (just guessing).

nicker

Diamond Member
When we were shopping for a new car we looked at a Toyota Camry. One simple thing it lacked was a dimming rear view mirror. Sales gal very casually suggested we just get one at CarToys and I couldn't believe it. I'm going to pay a bunch of money for a brand new car and I have to go to a non dealer outlet to get something as simple as a mirror? Not to mention I'm going to buy a new car and NOT have everything on it I want when I leave?

Yeah, we didn't buy a Toyota.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
I used Best Buy once and was happy. It was a simple job of running the wire for a radar detector. They hooked it to my ignition, made sure all of the wires were hidden behind the dash and upholstery. Their charge was also very reasonable at about ~$40.

There's a young guy...can't remember his name..that works out of the Best Buy on Preston. He was absolutely wonderful and stood behind his work....even when I screwed it up. LOL

Opus

Silver Member
When we were shopping for a new car we looked at a Toyota Camry. One simple thing it lacked was a dimming rear view mirror. Sales gal very casually suggested we just get one at CarToys and I couldn't believe it. I'm going to pay a bunch of money for a brand new car and I have to go to a non dealer outlet to get something as simple as a mirror? Not to mention I'm going to buy a new car and NOT have everything on it I want when I leave?

A lot of the tech stuff the dealers don't do themselves, they just take it to a A/V shop to have it done and then mark it up. Just like the tint jobs. I had a couple of dealers just give me the name of the shop they would take my car to for the tint job. When our dvd player broke in our SUV, the dealer just gave us the name of the shop they would take the suv to. I guess the money is not there to have a person on hand that knows how to do that stuff.

Opus

Silver Member
Just a suggestion, but have you considered getting 2 tablets/ipads. You could get 2 ipads plus the case to hold them on the headrest and bluetooth headphones and still be well under $1700. Plus the kids could watch different shows at the same time. Only issue is you would have to load the movies/shows on the tablet before hand. You also have the convenience of easily moving them from vehicle to vehicle.

Around north Texas, the best custom audio shops that do fantastic work, and guarantee it are in areas a lot of Friscoites are afraid to travel to ;)

Bonnie and Clyde CB and Stereo is a great place for installs, custom work, and parts.
Harry Hines just south or Royal Lane of I35 in Dallas

As far as Car Toys, it's a bit like Best Buy has turned into. You really need to know what you want and how it works before you go in. You can also negotiate. That being said, the Frisco location is pretty much a dooshateria :)

jsutter

Bronze Member

why not just find one that already had a dimming rear view mirror?? hardly seems like a reason to write off Toyotas all together...

jsutter

Bronze Member
A lot of the tech stuff the dealers don't do themselves, they just take it to a A/V shop to have it done and then mark it up. Just like the tint jobs. I had a couple of dealers just give me the name of the shop they would take my car to for the tint job. When our dvd player broke in our SUV, the dealer just gave us the name of the shop they would take the suv to. I guess the money is not there to have a person on hand that knows how to do that stuff.
the poster was referring to a dimming rear view mirror, which is an option on some cars, not a "tech item", the poster could have just found a car with the dimming mirror

planomateo

Platinum Member

Just an fyi (for future info), you can get this pretty easy via a few different places for about $200-$260, really easy to install.

Toyota dealership should be able to add as an accessory as well.

Amazon sells them > http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Plug-Play-Homelink-Auto-Dimming-Mirror/dp/B006V3DYJO

Quick install instructions > http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...ll-auto-dimming-mirror-home-link-compass.html

nicker

Diamond Member
Or the dealer could have done the job for me and found a car with a dimming mirror. They didn't care to take this additional step to make me a customer. It's not MY job to sell myself on Toyota. Believe it or not, they don't sell themselves. Not even as much as they'd like to think so. The car I wound up with won't ever need to see the inside of a Car Toys.

Opus

Silver Member
the poster was referring to a dimming rear view mirror, which is an option on some cars, not a "tech item", the poster could have just found a car with the dimming mirror
IT IS. I never knew that. I'm making a mental note right now.

jsutter

Bronze Member
IT IS. I never knew that. I'm making a mental note right now.
so you think that an auto-dimming rearview mirror is a "tech item" that needs to be installed by an aftermarket company and not a factory installed option on 99% of the cars out there??