Car Issue, how would you handle this?

I bought a new car about 1.5 yrs ago. Since then I have had the fan motor blower go out 3 times. This causes the A/C to blow warm air. I'd take it in, they'd replace the part and I'd be back in the shop several months later. Today the fan motor blower went out AGAIN. I have just about had it with this car.
How should I go about addressing it with the service advisor/dealership this time?? If I could give it back, I definately would!!

binbunch

Platinum Member
Start with the service manager then if your not happy, call the car company's main number and ask for the regional managers name and number. Went through this with ford way back in 2000. Our van blew two head gaskets. They did buy it back meaning they gave us a credit for any other ford product. They were actually very good to work with.

ETA: the dealership should also be able to give you the regional service managers name. Insist on it if they give you a hard time.

Geck

Platinum Member
i had these types of problems with a Lexus we bought of all things. I would talk with the Managers but i would go into the dealership instead of call. You'd be surprised how much more agreeable people are with you standing in front of them. Make an appointment to see the manager so you have a scheduled time to meet.

I would also do a bit of research before talking to the dealership. Look online for forums on the car make and model. See if others are experiencing the same type of issue as this could be widespread or simply limited to your vehicle. If there aren't others reporting the same issue, you could have an isolated issue. Doing what it appears to be doing could be indicative of a wide scale electrical problem.

mattbta

Silver Member
Is it really the blower or could it be a blend door actuator? My blend door went out and it was a $15 part on amazon and I put it in myself.

I bought a new car about 1.5 yrs ago. Since then I have had the fan motor blower go out 3 times. This causes the A/C to blow warm air. I'd take it in, they'd replace the part and I'd be back in the shop several months later. Today the fan motor blower went out AGAIN. I have just about had it with this car.
How should I go about addressing it with the service advisor/dealership this time?? If I could give it back, I definately would!!
Uhmmm, If it is blowing it is NOT the fan motor unless you are taking about the fan near the radiator. I'd go with an actuator arm.

It's a Hyundai Elantra. I went on the hyundai forums and asked if anyone was experiencing the same problem with this model but so far no one has had this happen. So... I will definately contact the main offices and see how I can escalate this. This seems to almost qualify under "lemon" law...

bard

Gold Member
I'd still read up on it now before you get fed up with the lack of real repairs. I'm not a lawyer and this isn't the actual text from the law itself, but the states pamphlet doesn't state it only applies to safety issues. It also counts towards conditions that adversely affect it's market value. No AC = lower market value.

"the defect or condition persists and substantially impairs the vehicle’s use or market
value, or creates a serious safety hazard;"

Uhmmm, If it is blowing it is NOT the fan motor unless you are taking about the fan near the radiator. I'd go with an actuator arm.
If the condensor fan stops (assuming two fans, one radiator, and one for the condensor), then yes it will cause inefficiency in the cooling of refrigerant that comes out hot from the compressor. When diagnosing A/C systems, this is one of the first things checked after verifying the compressor cycles on and off.
On older cars this would be the same fan and the car would be overheating. Newer cars that have two fans have the 2nd come on with the A/C pressure, or if the coolant hits a second setpoint (after the 1st goes off).

Just to confirm, you have air blowing, but it is warm. And you had a fan motor replaced that fixed the problem?

Bad Fan (Condensor) Motor Recommendation - This could be caused by a bad relay, connector, etc. Make sure they check out the electrical system for the fan. A bad connector can cause sparks. This leads to corrosion (black burn marks) on the connector, and then "failure to operate". It will fail a test because the connector terminal needs cleaning (or even scrubbing with sandpaper). It is hard to see because the connector is recessed in the motor.

If someone broke a tab that holds the connector in place, then it will vibrate loose. That would be my first check.