Car battery help

Tooleman

Diamond Member
On Saturday I was filling up the Minivan with gas, after I filled up the car wouldn't start.. Noticed it had a bit of trouble starting when I left home to go get gas.. Nice folks at Market Street jumped my car and I went home..

The next morning, the car started fine but I hooked it up to the battery charger to give it a full charge.. Because of the holidays we have not driven the cars in weeks.. So I figured the battery just died..

Well I had the car in the shop this morning for inspection and I asked them to check the battery.. They said it shows full voltage but my CCA is down 50 percent and recommend I replace it..

So my question is how long do I have left on this battery.. Car is almost 4 years old and im turning it in after the lease.. Rather not spend 150 if I got a couple months left on it..

mantikos

Bronze Member
I think if you've got one of those portable jump start things, it will last a couple of months no problem. The weather doesn't help.

IBM5081

Platinum Member
If I get 3 years on most batteries, I'm happy. Was the battery frozen when you charged it? I was reading an article last night which recommends thawing the battery before charging it. Remove from vehicle, bring indoors and wait for it to warm up; then charge and see what you get.
How much is left? If the battery stays in the vehicle exposed to overnight temps in the 20's and it's not driven on a daily basis, probably not much as far as starting goes. If the vehicle is "not driven for weeks", bring the battery inside, keep warm and charged then place in vehicle when you want to drive it.

Opus

Silver Member
We just had the same issue. Wife called me a work a few weeks ago, she was stuck at Racetrak. Said she stopped to fill up and the sequoia wouldn't start after she got gas. She said she didn't have any issues before that. I tried to jump start it but the alarm kept going off. Finally said screw it and went and bought a new battery. She was headed out of town the next day by herself so I didn't want to risk her being stranded.

Can you keep it on the battery charger at night just to make sure it keeps a full charge? I don't know how they work so I don't know if that is possible. I know my dad used to do that but he used to do a lot of things that weren't "safe".

wohsurdaddy

Bronze Member
If you don’t want to buy a new one, go over to chaparral on King Road and get a junk yard battery. They are tested and have a guarantee.

planomateo

Platinum Member
See if dealer will replace, never know...since its 4 years old, they probably won't.

Get a costco or wal-mart battery and be done with it, it won't cost you $150 seeing as how you aren't going to be keeping it very long.

Opus

Silver Member
Who is getting stranded when it doesn't start away from home?
I guess it depends on your definition of stranded. A few years back my wife took off on a Sunday morning with the 2 kids to visit her dad. She stopped at a gas station in some little town in the middle of nowhere and the car wouldn't start. Jumping the battery didn't do anything. Nothing was open and no where to go. The lady at the gas station called a friend of hers and they drove them to a little motel in town. They then picked her up Monday morning and drove her to the only auto mechanic in town to have the battery replaced. It doesn't sound bad but my wife was very upset over the whole situatioin, especially with a 2 year old she was trying to keep happy.

Tooleman

Diamond Member
We almost never use the Minivan anymore, I mean it literally just sits.. Before Saturday the last time I put gas in it.. It was probably 4 bucks a gallon lol..

Seriously gets about 10 miles on it during a normal week.. During the holidays it didn't get used at all.. I think maybe one day in all of December..

But I guess a cheap battery, would be cheaper then a tow..

Heat and cold are bad for batteries. That's why I get 4 years from one here in TX.

And if it is 4 years old, it is not in good shape. Getting low enough to need a jump probably took off some more life. I personally would replace it based on age and that last damage that was just done.

Newer cars do not run well on low charges. It throws off the sensors. My first batteries had the car running funny as the first sign. I mean engine running bad, different lights on the dash, etc.

If you want cheap go to Autozone or Walmart. But you are dancing with the devil with this current cold weather and a weakened battery.

AGH

Gold Member
The coldest weather of the season is upon us and the cold eats up batteries. I bet the old battery won't last another month. Better to buy a cheap one now than have it quit on you at an inconvient time.

I must think differently, but go buy a battery! The current one has served you well.

Who wants to mess with the hassle of getting stranded somewhere, not I. And if your wife decides to take the van one day and it breaks down, come on Toole, you know better.

rbrodner

Diamond Member
Heat and cold are bad for batteries. That's why I get 4 years from one here in TX.

And if it is 4 years old, it is not in good shape. Getting low enough to need a jump probably took off some more life. I personally would replace it based on age and that last damage that was just done.

Newer cars do not run well on low charges. It throws off the sensors. My first batteries had the car running funny as the first sign. I mean engine running bad, different lights on the dash, etc.

If you want cheap go to Autozone or Walmart. But you are dancing with the devil with this current cold weather and a weakened battery.
4 years? I have yet to get more than 2 years on any battery since moving here. Doesn't matter whether I buy Walmart or a name brand.

kenny6

Gold Member
Just brought my car in to Acura for oil change yesterday. They always do a battery test. It was a little low, almost half of what the CCA should be. It's a 100 month battery and was still under warranty so they changed it for free. Car is still under 4yr/50k warranty too. I noticed it was cranking a little slow but figured it was just the cold. Glad I brought it in.

The car is almost 3 yrs old, 45k miles.

Enough about the $150 on the battery. Have you learned the bigger lesson?

You are still paying on a four year old lease on a car you are not using..... Stop leasing, buy slightly used and save big $$$.

Your friendly car buying tip of the day brought to you by a frugal guy.