Bus Stop Concern

m2b

Bronze Member
I walk my 1st grader to the bus every day. I stay there till the bus leaves and am usually (90% of the time) the only adult there with about 6-9 kids. There are three boys that are getting a little rough with “play” fighting; hitting, kicking, throwing each other backpacks into the street. Two are brothers and are usually the first to start. I don’t know the parents of the brothers, but I do know the parents of the other child.

I am worried something is going to happen and everyone will be asking me why I did not say anything. I have told them to stop, but I don’t have much authority over them, especially before I get there with my child.

My question is do I tell the parents and become the whiny Mom on the block? Or do I let the school/bus driver know and avoid any confrontation with a not my child he is perfect parent?

pandora

Silver Member
I would talk to the bus driver first to get his story (he might have seen it different or might not be aware of it).

After that, can you talk to the school? I am not sure how it works but I think I would do that. Our school has been wonderful and really helpful in addressing these types of isses.

m2b

Bronze Member
I would talk to the bus driver first to get his story (he might have seen it different or might not be aware of it).

After that, can you talk to the school? I am not sure how it works but I think I would do that. Our school has been wonderful and really helpful in addressing these types of isses.
It is before the bus arrives. I am usually the only parent there.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
Get the bus number and call the school. Talk directly with the Principal or AP. Also, call transportation and log a complaint. They WILL do something. We had issues and they sent out a general bus #X is having issues (did not say which stop) and asked parents to talk to their children..

Luckily it stopped but I am sure if it continued more would have been done.. (this was at middle school stop)

This will also show you did try and stop it..

you could also take a video with your phone.. Go to the school and show them so they see it and know exactly who or go for pick up early and see the kids lined up and let the staff know who it is.

50ae

Silver Member
Use your big girl voice so they know you are serious and tell the little punks to act right. If they don't then ride the bus to school with them and march their little rears to the principle's office.

m2b

Bronze Member
Use your big girl voice so they know you are serious and tell the little punks to act right. If they don't then ride the bus to school with them and march their little rears to the principle's office.
I wish, but you can't even step on the bus when speaking to the driver. Too many safety concerns.

I like the idea of the video though that way it doesn't look like I am being some overprotective parent on more than a little horseplay.

Rebel

Diamond Member
Peronsally I'd just talk to the parents. Something along the lines of "Hey, I noticed your kids have been wrestling/play fighting in the mornings. I'd hate to see them hurt, so I thought I;d let you know"

If they stop, great. If not, then its on the parents.

mommyx2

Diamond Member
I would also ask DD about how they behave on the bus and if they have ever gotten in trouble on the bus.. if there is a pattern, definately contact the transportation dept. as they may need it on their records if there is an issue in the future with the kiddos on the bus.

EscapeRocks

Triple Platinum
Unitl the kids get on the bus, what authority does the school or trans. department have?

It's a parent issue, I think.

Sure, maybe the school can send out a memo about behavior, but the kids are the responsibility of their parents until on the bus or school property.

I think I'd mention it to the parents that you do know. I don't think you'll be seen as whiny if you just talk to them honestly and in a matter-of-fact manner, especially if you can do so in a casual way. I would definitely address it. If you're not comfortable enough to talk to the parents then call the school, b/c even though it's before school I'm sure the principal could call the parents to let them know what's going on.

m2b

Bronze Member
I think I'd mention it to the parents that you do know. I don't think you'll be seen as whiny if you just talk to them honestly and in a matter-of-fact manner, especially if you can do so in a casual way. I would definitely address it. If you're not comfortable enough to talk to the parents then call the school, b/c even though it's before school I'm sure the principal could call the parents to let them know what's going on.
They would figure out it was me, so I am just going to mention to each parents. Just want them to be aware of some of things going on.

aggieteach

Double Platinum
First I'd talk to the parents, they may not be aware it is going on. If that doesn't work then I'd talk to the bus driver and the AP at the school. I think talking to parents first is the best way to go.