Best place to buy ribs

obryankl

Wal*Mart quit selling the brand of St. Louis style ribs that I like to buy to smoke. The only thing I can find there or at Market Street now is Smythfield, and I don't like them. For those of you who smoke or bake ribs, what kind do you use and where do you get them?

Opus

Silver Member
Another vote for Costco. I just hate they make you buy so much. Have you tried Krogers? I've bought them there and don't remember them being Smythfield.

erbeman

Bronze Member
I smoke a lot of ribs and have tried several different brands and honestly haven't been able to see a big difference in them. I wait for Kroger to have a sale on them, then I buy several racks and put them in my deep freezer. .They are only about $6 a rack on sale. The ribs at Costco are expensive and come in a package of three racks. So either you cook all three racks, or you better have a vacuum sealer. Sometimes the ribs on sale are the St.Louis cut, sometimes, they are the full spare. I always just cut the full spare down to St.Louis cut before I smoke them.

obryankl

I went to Kroger's today and they barely had any beef ribs, and the one kind they had weren't St. Louis style.

I usually just smoke a rack per week or so, just for the wife and me, so I don't need a three pack.

Thanks for the replies.

bard

Gold Member
Has anyone had any luck finding them? I still can't seem to find a rack of St. Louis cut beef ribs anywhere.
You won't find them, but you may be able to make them.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html

"It would be nice if the nomenclature for meat cuts were the same from animal to animal, and from country to country. Alas, they are not. A standing rib roast (beef) is the same as a rack of lamb is the same as a bone-in pork roast or pork crown roast. Beef short ribs are pretty much the same as pork spare ribs, but don't ask for beef spare ribs because there is no such thing."

"St. Louis cut ribs (a.k.a. SLC a.k.a. barbecue cut, a.k.a. Kansas City cut). Take a slab of spareribs, lop off the gristly rib tips (in the picture above, they are along the bottom), and what remains is a flat rectangular slab called the St. Louis cut (in the picture above, the SLC is at the top) and a flap of meat that is usually removed and set aside for grinding. Because the 10 to 13 rib bones are straight and flat, they are the best cut for recipes that require the ribs to be browned in a frying pan on the stovetop. Some butchers call SLC spareribs, but because the tips have been removed, technically they are no longer spares. They are also sometimes called barbecue cut, or Kansas City cut. If your butcher doesn't know what St. Louis cut means, get a new butcher or simply ask for spareribs with the tips removed. Then again, you may want to remove them yourself and cook them too. A standard 2 to 3 pound slab can serve two people or one really hungry big man. When smoke roasted at about 225°F, they take five to six hours to reach perfection. Don't ask me how SLC got it's name. I've heard several stories and I don't think anyone knows for sure. Probably invented by some butcher in St. Louis where it became popular."

You won't find them, but you may be able to make them.
The only beef ribs I've been able to find are the ones that each rib is already cut. I never had an issue finding beef ribs until a few months ago...weird that everywhere just stopped selling them.