BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

OK, another question since I'm hopefully getting a new smoker in the next few months. I'm seeing everyone talking about seasoning their smoker. Is this necessary? What does it accomplish?
Theoretically you're removing any chemicals that might be on the inside of the smoker from the manufacturing process. And also adding a layer to the outside to help prevent rust. Many people will wash the smoker inside and out with dish soap (like dawn) and then light a fire to dry it out. When it's mostly dry put a layer of oil in it and let it the fire come up to 300-350 for a couple of hours. Most people I've seen use vegetable oil and just rub it down real good inside and out. I've seen some people say olive oil but IMO olive oil is too expensive and has too low of a smoke point.

You can skip the washing with soap if it makes you nervous - definitely don't let that water sit in there after washing.

Crisco is cheap and works great for seasoning. I downsized from a monster offset that I barely used to the WSMC and couldn't be happier. It's more challenging to fit longer items in, but it takes up less room on the patio, uses way less fuel and is easier to maintain temps.

Thanks jimithing! All the posts I've read so far were using sunflower seed oil. Does the seasoning help keep it from rusting?
You ever used a cast iron pan? It's kinda like that. If you keep a layer of carbon on there and don't burn it off then you'll be okay. Most smokers get hot enough that some rust areas pop up so you can either spray paint those areas or keep trying to reseason them.

Opus

Silver Member
I like a number of this guys suggestions. He sends out a weekly recipe using his rub and sauce. Up to you to buy his recipes to make the rub and sauce, I figure since I use his recipes on occasion, it was worth the $18. Good luck, it's very tasty!

http://www.smoking-meat.com/august-20-2015-smoked-meatloaf-better-than-ever
Thanks TCM. I actually have used some of his suggestions before. So was that his sauce on yours or was it something else? Unfortunately my wife will only eat meatloaf with brown gravy topping. I had never heard of it that way until I met her. Growing up I had meatloaf 2 or 3 times a month. If I get it now I have to get it at a restaurant. My 3 kids even turn their noises up at it. Of course they are strange, they won't eat spaghetti either.

Thats carzy. I have everything I need to make on for about $25and will allow you to monitor control with your phone.
It's about the same with all the temp controllers - you're mostly paying for their time and efforts developing the system and not so much paying for the hardware.

Anyone here use a stoker on their smoker. I've seen them recommended on some BBQ sites.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/index.html
I have a wifi stoker and love it. I really only use it when I'm cooking a brisket or pork butt overnight. It's just good peace of mind knowing I can go to sleep and not worry about the temp dropping or spiking. I'm not sure how well it works on an offset but I bet with a big enough fan it'd be alright.

Thanks TCM. I actually have used some of his suggestions before. So was that his sauce on yours or was it something else? Unfortunately my wife will only eat meatloaf with brown gravy topping. I had never heard of it that way until I met her. Growing up I had meatloaf 2 or 3 times a month. If I get it now I have to get it at a restaurant. My 3 kids even turn their noises up at it. Of course they are strange, they won't eat spaghetti either.
It was probably Sweet Baby Rays.......... :)

Busted out the smoker Saturday morning to smoke a brisket for a party. Costco delivered once again with a great Prime grade brisket.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Opus

Silver Member
If you use charcoal at all, Academy Sports has 15lb bags for $2 thru Saturday. I think the brand is Outdoor Grilling. I bought 2 that said they were made with Oak. No clue if the stuff is any good but figured I would give it a try since it was so cheap.