BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

mikel

Platinum Member
I just bought this one a couple days ago, think it was 399/lb.
Either way, hope I repeat my last cook, family said it was the best ever. You get lucky sometimes.

P.s. that coloring is paprika...

Opus

Silver Member
Not a smoker but picked up a Weber Spirit e310 today at Target. It was on clearance plus was able to use the 10% coupon so it was under $350 with taxes. Guess I will be putting it together next weekend. Wanted a Genesis but this saves some cash and should work just fine.

Labor day weekend - have entered into a friendly rib comp. Could use some guidance with other rib recipes. The rules are simple - port ribs only. Cooked on the spot. I can pre-mix or marinate before the cook. The only problem is that I am stuck on a friends smoker since I am not willing to transport the egg to support this event... which means I am stuck with his wood choice which I assume will be Hickory.

So I really just need a banging rub... and perhaps a nice sweet glaze to finish it with.

Labor day weekend - have entered into a friendly rib comp. Could use some guidance with other rib recipes. The rules are simple - port ribs only. Cooked on the spot. I can pre-mix or marinate before the cook. The only problem is that I am stuck on a friends smoker since I am not willing to transport the egg to support this event... which means I am stuck with his wood choice which I assume will be Hickory.

So I really just need a banging rub... and perhaps a nice sweet glaze to finish it with.

I smoked some ribs this weekend. They were so good. I happened to have a pic of everything I put on them. I'm a huge fan of SuckleBusters. I was lucky enough to be part of a handful of people who got to sample different recipes for this Texas Pecan and give feedback, until he came up with the final recipe, so I'm a little partial to it, but it is amazing. They sell it at Premier.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Opus

Silver Member
Does anyone have a link to a good video that shows how to properly trim a brisket and explains it while they are doing it? I've seen a couple of videos but they are just cutting away and not explaining what/why they are doing it.

Opus

Silver Member
Thanks, bookmarked it for future reference. Probably won't do another brisket until Thanksgiving. FIL and my wife's nieces all think my brisket is the best around. We all get together for Thanksgiving so usually take one for our pre-thanksgiving meals. Problem is the FIL takes it and hides it in the freezer hoping everyone forgets it is there. I don't mind since I'm there for his cajun gumbo.

Opus

Silver Member
In the video he discusses heating from top or bottom. My smoker has the fire box on the side and I put my meat on the opposite end so is mine using top heat?

Ideally your temp will be even left to right and top to bottom. In reality it's all in how well it was designed and built. You'll have to do some experimentation with either temp probes or even slices of bread to see how evenly it heats. Otherwise I would place the meat in the middle and rotate periodically.

mikel

Platinum Member
Parting comment for this thread that appears to be dead... (sad really...)

Made another brisket this weekend with butcher paper... It really does make a difference. another great brisket!

(And SockFullOfYum... whats with the downvotes on this thread?)

Parting comment for this thread that appears to be dead... (sad really...)

Made another brisket this weekend with butcher paper... It really does make a difference. another great brisket!

(And SockFullOfYum... whats with the downvotes on this thread?)
Yes it does :) since the first time I tried it with paper, I never looked back. That's how I've done them all since.

Opus

Silver Member
I'm really liking my Weber grill. Definitely worth the extra $$$ if it holds up. Wish I could have afforded the 4 burner model. Hard to smoke anything right now with soccer and cheer season going on. We are at games all day on Saturdays and sometimes on Sunday. Hopefully the brisket prices at Costco will keep slowly coming down. Got to get my boning knife ordered so I will be ready to trim my next brisket.