BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

So the vodka started flowing early and I wasn't able to snap pics of the brisket but it turned out great. Very juicy, pulled apart very easily but was lacking in the smoke flavor area. I can never get a good smoke ring on this egg.

Started it around 9:30PM and took it off of the egg around 8:30AM. Temps fluctuated throughout the night between 200 and 260 but maintained 230(ish) for a majority of the time.

Below is a pic of the pit today, kind of gives you a idea of how efficient the egg is with the lump fuel.

I build the pit from the bottom up with dry hickory chunks. Pretty much build a core straight up to the top. I have noticed that the core is all ash today so the wood was the first to go. I'm thinking that this is my issue, just don't know the best way to organize the wood so it burns more consistently. Maybe also need to soak the chunks...?

- - - Updated - - -

Pics from the pig roast.

So the vodka started flowing early and I wasn't able to snap pics of the brisket but it turned out great. Very juicy, pulled apart very easily but was lacking in the smoke flavor area. I can never get a good smoke ring on this egg.

Started it around 9:30PM and took it off of the egg around 8:30AM. Temps fluctuated throughout the night between 200 and 260 but maintained 230(ish) for a majority of the time.

Below is a pic of the pit today, kind of gives you a idea of how efficient the egg is with the lump fuel.

I build the pit from the bottom up with dry hickory chunks. Pretty much build a core straight up to the top. I have noticed that the core is all ash today so the wood was the first to go. I'm thinking that this is my issue, just don't know the best way to organize the wood so it burns more consistently. Maybe also need to soak the chunks...?

- - - Updated - - -

Pics from the pig roast.
Never soak any of your wood...with wood, you don't want more than about 23% of it to contain water. You want it to have as little moisture as possible.

If I were you I would would put lump at the bottom, then wood, then lump, then wood, then kemp u till you reach to top. I would then light half a charcoal chimney of lump and when it grays over, sprinkle it on top of your last layer of either wood or lump...this is what I use and is a version of the very effective minion method...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikel

Platinum Member
Success! Erbeman provided some advice and some of that butcher paper... Cooked a little higher temp, wrapped at 160, and added a small tin of water to help with moisture. I cooked to 199 in the flat.

I'm a little shy from earlier overcooks and may have pulled out a little prematurely, but it was by far the best brisket yet! Yummy! I'll be practicing some more for sure...

Thanks everybody.

Success! Erbeman provided some advice and some of that butcher paper... Cooked a little higher temp, wrapped at 160, and added a small tin of water to help with moisture. I cooked to 199 in the flat.

I'm a little shy from earlier overcooks and may have pulled out a little prematurely, but it was by far the best brisket yet! Yummy! I'll be practicing some more for sure...

Thanks everybody.
Glad to hear it went well brother.

Got to test out my Father's Day gift today, and it is AWESOME!!!!! Best $23 and change I have spent in a long time. It usually takes me 20-25 minutes to trim my briskest but tonight it took me about 8!!!! Love this thing!!!!!

Prime brisket and prime short ribs from Costco FTW!!!! After photos to follow...and where have these Bugles been all my life?!?!?!?!?!

Anybody know if there are stores in the Dallas area that have Lang BBQ Smokers in their showrooms ? I have reached out to the company as well.
They're pretty much a build to order company, I doubt anyone will have a showroom with one. But if you want to put your hands on one before you purchase one your best bet is probably to post a thread in the BBQ Brethren website and just ask if anyone around Dallas that owns one would be willing to let you come by and see it for yourself.

Or you could do the same with craigslist :)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/grd/5608721581.html

Just out of curiosity - why do you want a Lang? I hear they are really nice but we have some really good pit builders here in Texas as well. If I was going to purchase a new smoker right now it would be from Lone Star Grillz. Really good stuff.

Then there's Klose in Houston.

I don't think either one of them make reverse flows, though.

I've decided I want a Pitmaker Vault for my next smoker. They have a small footprint, easily movable, incredibly easy to use and they put out great BBQ.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

I've decided I want a Pitmaker Vault for my next smoker. They have a small footprint, easily movable, incredibly easy to use and they put out great BBQ.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
They are awesome smokers for sure and not a long drive at all...

Last edited:

mcBerg

Platinum Member
Something different. Plan on smoking some boneless turkey breasts this weekend on the OK Joe smoker. Have some maple and hickory after a heavy brine.