BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

mcBerg

Platinum Member
Same boat here too, Mikel. Brisket is a different beast and no longer very cheap to experiment with. I stick with smoking ribs, turkey breast and pulled pork which turn out consistent but there are so many variables depending on the cut/quality of the brisket. I have too many weekend projects to be PO on a dry brisket. lol

Opus

Silver Member
Here's a side question....are you guys suffering with flies this year while grilling? We've never had it this bad. We smoked a brisket yesterday and could hardly stay outside.
Watch out for the Zika virus. The commercial says to wear long sleeves outside.

JJFrisco

Double Platinum
Here's a side question....are you guys suffering with flies this year while grilling? We've never had it this bad. We smoked a brisket yesterday and could hardly stay outside.
Yes. They sit on the window of the back door when I'm grilling and end up in the house when I open the door. They must be female too since they are mean as hell and keep dive bombing me for several days afterwards.

erbeman

Bronze Member
It was over cooked and no moister left for the most part. I guess it depends on size, this one was only a little over 9lbs. Cooked it 13 hours at 230 till thick part was around 193. Wrapped in foil for 3 hours. When opened to slice, there was no juices at all in the foil so I knew I was in trouble.
Had to throw away most of the flat, dry as leather.

Erbeman, that could be great, PM me when/where I can pick it up. Thanks.
I'll get you trained up and your next brisket you'll be super proud of :) Sending you a PM now about the paper.

Guys, I bought a MONSTER roll of butcher paper too. If you want some let me know and I will give it to you as well. I could do a brisket a week for the next 20 years and not go through all of it.

I have never smoked a bad brisket yet.
With all due respect Phil, cause you are a really great guy (we know each other off the board) but that's not possible. I am even agreeing with McBerg to show how I feel.

EVERYBODY who does brisket makes a poor showing once in a while.

Even Mr. 6 Smokers in my Backyard BigPhil!!:tomatoes:

If you have trouble with brisket try smoking a chuck roast. I think I got the idea here from erbeman.

It tastes great and takes a lot less time. I've done a few since it was mentioned here. Did one for Memorial Day, it was a Nolan Ryan from Kroger about 3 lbs.

With all due respect Phil, cause you are a really great guy (we know each other off the board) but that's not possible. I am even agreeing with McBerg to show how I feel.

EVERYBODY who does brisket makes a poor showing once in a while.

Even Mr. 6 Smokers in my Backyard BigPhil!!:tomatoes:
Not yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erbeman

Bronze Member
If you have trouble with brisket try smoking a chuck roast. I think I got the idea here from erbeman.

It tastes great and takes a lot less time. I've done a few since it was mentioned here. Did one for Memorial Day, it was a Nolan Ryan from Kroger about 3 lbs.
Yes sir, that was me. They turn out great, are easy to get right, and take 1/4 of the time. Glad you like them.

Of course yours looks so much better than mine!! The last one I just did was a lil on the dry side. I need to get some more of those aluminum pans and put the juice in.

I marinated for a couple days with Stubbs beef marinade then put dry rub a few hours before I put it in then just let it cook in the electric smoker for about 5 hours. I cover it and let it rest for about 45 mins before I cut into it. My temp probe is broken too. :(

canam

Bronze Member
So butcher paper is not going to fix your "drying out" problem since I read you used tinfoil which is actually even easier to use then butcher paper. I also use butcher paper.

One Critical step many folks over look for brisket is trying to pick out the right brisket. Typically, it can be vacuum sealed so you have to pay particular attention to marbling, especially on the flat. Many of the briskets I see in the grocery stores have very little to no marbling in the flat, make your butcher your best friend. Literally push the vacuum seal right up against the flat and look for some marbling on the edges. The flat is always going to have a lot less marbling then point, but it should have some and if it doesn't typically those briskets just don't come out as good in my experience. You should also try to get a brisket with the point and flat as close to the same size as you can, even if you have to cut some off the end of the flat to make a smaller brisket, you will get more consistency in your meat, thicker the flat the better. My recommendation is to use an injection, especially when your new to it. Just use something as simple as beef stock to not change the flavor if you don't have a good recipe. I like to inject a mixture beef stock, soy, worchester (only a little bit) and ginger. I find injecting the briskets gives you more consistency and reduces some of the variations in cooking a brisket. I don't have a strong injection cause I love the taste of beef, but it helps with moisture.

One other secret, I buy Costco briskets a lot and cut them in half right down the middle. This gives me more opportunity to practice and not break the bank or needing to have 20 people at the house to experiment any time I try something new.

Hope that helps.

canam

Bronze Member
One other thing I forgot to mention is a lot of folks like to trim there brisket, I do as well, especially silver skin on what I call the bottom (non fat side) and any hard fat that is not going to render. But I like to leave a thicker layer of fat on the flat as well if I can, I can cut it off with a knife when I am trimming after but I find it also gives a much more moist flat. The point doesn't need near as much in my opinion cause it has fat throughout the cut and good marbling so typically I trim that down to a quarter inch. This also helps make the flat and point even more similar in thickness which gives a more consistent brisket.

Practice, Practice, Practice ... great weekend coming up to get back on that horse!

Having another go at the brisket tonight. Couldn't find time to get over to Costco so choice grade it is. 14.35 pounds. Going to throw it on the egg over some premium lump and hickory. No injections or special marinades; going simple salt and pepper. Pics later.

Trying to decide if I want to use my digital controller or not. It is definitely consistent but it also pulls fresh air in and blows valuable smoke out with each micro temp adjustment.

Gotta make a decision pretty quick, wheels up tomorrow morning at 9am.

Good luck brother. Mine are always simple, just like my steaks. Don't want to cover the meat flavor. I've never injected either. Nothing wrong with it, just not my thing.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Having another go at the brisket tonight. Couldn't find time to get over to Costco so choice grade it is. 14.35 pounds. Going to throw it on the egg over some premium lump and hickory. No injections or special marinades; going simple salt and pepper. Pics later.

Trying to decide if I want to use my digital controller or not. It is definitely consistent but it also pulls fresh air in and blows valuable smoke out with each micro temp adjustment.

Gotta make a decision pretty quick, wheels up tomorrow morning at 9am.
Waiting to see pics ..........................................:)